Totally at a loss!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
anj999
New Cat Chatter

Totally at a loss!

Post by anj999 »

Hi, I have a 6 year old male cat called Pepsi, he's half maine coon, half moggy, and I have a real problem with what to do with him shortly when I move house. To relay the full story - I'd had him about a year or so and then got another male, Foxy, a full maine coon pedigree. Pepsi wasn't thrilled at first but him and Foxy eventually got pally and hung out together. Then I made the grave mistake of getting a female maine coon, Jazzi. Foxy loved her but Pepsi hated her with a vengence and promptly moved out to live across the road over by the railway! He fell out with us all and only continued to return to the house for food - which I was forced to put outside for him as he would bash the living daylights out of the other two anytime he saw them. Poor Foxy couldnt understand why his friend had turned bad! Unfortunately Pepsi also bashed the living daylights out of any of us humans even if we were bringing him food and he would hiss and spit and claw at you if you got too close and as for petting him, no chance! Over time he mellowed slightly and on a very ODD occasion would let you have one stroke at him before hissing and spitting - so that was progress! Now we have decided to relocate and my son has taken Foxy and Jazzi to live with him and his Fiancee and they have settled in and adapted well to their new home. Since they left Pepsi has started actually coming into the house, allowing a lot more strokes before the hissing and spitting and has even sneaked upstairs to chill out on the bed a few times. He is still so vicious that you couldn't pick him up but to be fair he's far nicer now the other two have left. SO - what the heck do I do when I finally sell my house and move? I'm relocating to a holiday park with caravans and chalets and its right on a remote beach and to be honest I really dont think it would be fair to try and take him there - never mind losing an arm trying to get him in a carrier for the journey but at the same time I cant just abandon him or expect the new home owners to feed a half ferral cat who will appear every morning looking for food! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Totally at a loss!

Post by Jacks »

To be honest I'd trap him and take him with you - he might love the new surroundings but would need to be kept inside for several weeks for 'bonding' and to get familiarised with his new territory. There may well be mice around a site like that so he could enjoy hunting.

However if there is a week or so to go before the move I'd catch him and put him in a 'bonding room' (see the section on new cats) where he could become re-familiarised with you in a safe area. The fact that the intruder is no longer in the premises would then be reinforced and you have a chance of getting your lovely cat back. He needs to be an only cat though from now on and at 6 years old has a good life ahead of him.

If you could find a rescue that would take him, great, but it's not easy at the moment. He would need trapping in any case - your local RSPCA should be able to lend you a trap although you might need to ask for a fox trap if he's part Maine Coon as they are generally gloriously big...

Either way I think Pepsi deserves the chance of a happy life again. The fact that he's been up and onto your bed is an excellent sign - the hissing and spitting is a sign that he's still afraid and on his guard, but this will lessen in time. We've taken in a big boy who was living rough for several years (probably from kittenhood) and he was really wild but bit by bit he's becoming a loving house cat again and he's definitely happier for it...
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Jacks. As you say, you can't just abandon him, and as not abandoning him means having to catch him anyway you might as well give him a chance to come with you and become a house cat again. I suspect that he will go back to being the cat he used to be after some time with you as an only cat.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I also agree with Jacks. He would be much happier as an only cat and providing you start now, when you do move it should be less stressful - for both of you and the start of a whole new life - for both of you! :D

Good luck - and let us know how you go on.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I also agree with Jacks and Crewella - Pepsi needs to come with you. Once in the new house without the smells of Foxy and Jazzi he will hopefully realise that life is once again as he knew it and be a very happy cat.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Mollysmummy »

A remote beach sounds like outdoor kitty heaven to me! I'd most definitely take him with you, especially as the other cats were clearly the problem for him and there's no reason he wouldn't mellow back to something resembling his old self if he were reintroduced properly before you leave.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

its a hard one. Do the people he stay with want him? is he settled there? if not I would take him but if he is quiet happy with them, then maybe leave him?
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

I would also try to take him with you. If he comes into the house and goes upstairs to sleep that is a great time to shut the catflap and keep him in although trying to pack up your belongings might be difficult and also distress him. Another option might be to trap him and put him in a cattery for a week until you've moved and then start the bonding in the new home. Difficult I know - I have a feral cat who even after 3 years still won't allow me to do anything with her even though she's devoted to me. A new area and a cat free smelling place will very probably reestablish your relationship and he deserves to be settled after a few years of trauma. We all know how well cats adapt to new surroundings - my son emigrated to NZ last year and they took their two cats with them - they also live near a beach and the cats love it and spend a lot of their time under the house in the shade and catching little lizards as 'presents' :o Good luck!
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

Aww bless him :(
I agree with the others, you must take him with you. You can't leave him to come to a house where new tenants may slam the door on him.
He needs time to get used to having you to himself again. I'd keep him as an indoor cat for the remainder of time in your old house and a good while in your new one.
Let him settle in the new house and then Decide if he would be happy going outside or not.
I'd get a feliway diffuser and a spray as well . Maybe get some Zylkene capsules too for the move and use a few days before and after. You mix the powder from capsule into his meal.
Hope the wee darling settles xxxxx
anj999
New Cat Chatter

Post by anj999 »

Thank you very much everyone who has replied to my post. The general consensus seems to be to take Pepsi with me and lots of good advice on how to get him more civilised in time for the move. I definately think I'll do all this, he's coming in more and more and sometimes sleeping in the house for hours and hours at a time, albeit out of everyone's way but he seems a little friendlier overall and he is sometimes sitting at the door waiting for me to let him in in the morning. Thanks again everyone :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Good news! Please let us know how you go on.