My cat won't eat cat biscuits

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
andrea8411
Frequent Cat Chatter

My cat won't eat cat biscuits

Post by andrea8411 »

My cat is now 6 months old I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. In all that time he will not eat any buiscuits, I've tried every brand you can think off and no he will not touch them, all he likes to do is knock the bowl over then play with them all over the kitchen floor.
Has anyone heard before of a cat that will not eat buiscuits?
Ps he loves walkers crisp though!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: My cat won't eat cat biscuits

Post by bobbys girl »

Dreamies? I know they are treats but it's a start!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I guess cats are like people and have their preferences. Dry food is really convenience food for humans and many people think cats should eat wet food.

Hi-life make a food called soft & tender - or a similar name. They sell it in Wilkinsons. they are semi-moist pellet. You could try those.

http://www.hilifepet.co.uk/cats/product ... icken_375g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also do a Salmon version.
andrea8411
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andrea8411 »

I've tried every type of biscuits including the treat biscuits. I've tried hi life semi soft and go cat semi soft to no avail.
I'm bothered about his teeth as just eating soft food can't be good for his teeth, I've tried the dental treats to, I bought some cat toothpaste but it is not easy to clean the teeth of a cat!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Willow has never been fond of biscuits, she will eat some but not many and it has, I think, affected her teeth. Someone on CC (can't remember who, sorry) told me to try her with chicken wings. The vet said the occasional wing could help clean her teeth and massage the gums. I haven't tried it yet.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Some cats just don't like them. Frankly, they're a very unnatural type of food for cats (considering what they eat in the wild), so I'm surprised that so many actually will eat them! If he doesn't like them, go for a good quality wet food instead.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Just a reminder that chicken wings need to be raw. Cooked bones can splinter and be really dangerous.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes thanks Mark, I forgot to say that. :)
andrea8411
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andrea8411 »

My older cat eats a lot of mice and I hear him crunching the bones, so maybe my little one will do the same but I will get a raw chicken wing and see how he gets on with that.
Thanks
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

I'd also like to point out that wet food causing dental issues is a bit of a myth. A lot of it comes down to the quality of the food. Poor quality dry food will cause just as many dental problems as poor quality wet food.

A lot of wet food contains sugar in one form or another and this is what leads to the majority of dental problems in kitties. A lot of people don't realise this (cat food manufacturers don't like to publicise that they put sugar in their cat foods!) so they blame all wet food for tooth issues when this isn't the case. The important thing is to find a good quality wet cat food that containts no sugars and has a decent balance of all the nutrients he needs :)

Supplementing him with some raw goodies like chicken wings and chicken drumsticks will be a great way to give his teeth a bit of a workout, as the bones are a good thing to chew on, but don't worry too much about him not eating dried food.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

sarie wrote:A lot of wet food contains sugar in one form or another and this is what leads to the majority of dental problems in kitties.
Good point saire.