cat really struggling with body splint - help please!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sootygold
New Cat Chatter

cat really struggling with body splint - help please!

Post by sootygold »

Hi all - new here but pretty desperate for help. My cat has just has surgery yesterday to repair a torn triceps tendon on his left front leg following a car accident a few weeks ago and is now in a brace (spica) which has his leg immobilised with a splint and bandages wrapped round his neck and chest. Brought him home today and I'm very distressed to see that he cant possibly use his litter tray (despite the vets assurance otherwise ) or walk at all as he just cant balance with one leg bandaged so heavily and sticking out so stiffly in front of him. He's on strict cage rest atm but is getting up and falling all over the place now, crashing against the cage bars, thrashing around.he looks dreadful and totally lost - has anyone had their cat in a similar brace and how did they cope? How long does it take to get used to this sort of thing? His leg is so extended that its longer than the other one causing him to overbalance and fal onto his side - its so pitiful to see. Please anyone who knows what I'm talking about here - I could really do with some help and support x x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat really struggling with body splint - help please!

Post by Kay »

I have no experience, but I am a bit appalled your vet has sent him home in this state - surely they should have checked at the surgery to see if he could manage - and kept him in after a major op

I think all you can do overnight is to pad out the sides of the cage, turn off the lights and hope he settles - put some towels under him, perhaps, if he can't use the tray, and remove it and any food bowls for now to minimise what he can fall on to - feed him by hand if he wants food

he probably will find a way to manage given time - and he may still be suffering from the effects of the anaesthetic too - were you given pain killers for him?

I'd be on the phone to the vet in the morning myself, and insist adjustments are made if he is still in such distress - I can quite understand how horrible it must be to see him like this, even though you know it is for his own good
andrea8411
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by andrea8411 »

It's the worse thing ever to see your cat in such a state, I agree I would call the vets and see if they can make so sort of adjustment, but at this point you have to be cruel to be kind while they are healing. Put lots of padding in the cage as the other person suggested so there is little room for them to crash around and fall just enough space for them to get up and turn around and sit back down again, even put a blanket over the cage to keep them calm and in a room you don't use very often.
If you could gently lift him/her onto the litter tray and hold him up as if he is bursting he will go, cats can hold their toilet for a number of days when they are stressed, but most certainly speak to your vets ASAP.
Good luck
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I agree with everything Kay and Andrea have said.

Before we had to have Bob's leg amputated (re-occurring infection) we tried splinting (we tried EVERYTHING). He was a bit off-balance at first but as you can see from the photo, he soon got the hang of it. Here he has clambered on to the car bonnet! He was only a kittien at the time and the splint was enormous!
rsz_012.jpg
(247.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
He did struggle with the litter tray at first. But, as suggested, I lifted him into the tray a couple of times (after meals) and he managed on his own after that.

I wish you good luck with your kitty. Please let us know how you go on.
Fruitsalad1
New Cat Chatter

Post by Fruitsalad1 »

My cat has a splint. She is a ferel cat although a pet now. I thought it would be traumatic for her to be in the crate. I put in two pillows and I give her water held up to her mouth and hand feed her. I then also leave water and food for her in small bowls. She won’t and can’t use the litter tray. So I lift her into the shower twice a day close the screen leave her in for 20 mins. She does her poo and wee and then I lift her back into the crate and put her on the pillows. I leave her in the bedroom where it’s quiet. I then flush her toilet down the toilet. I have to make this bearable for her.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I wondered about an open tray on a slope (looking at the 'in' tray on my desk) with 3 sides but an open front end and propped up securely so as not to lose all the litter. Sounds horribly distressing for you and the cat, hope he recovers soon and figures out a way sooner to adapt in the meantime.