Organic food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mytmoe
Returning Cat Chatter

Organic food

Post by mytmoe »

Anyone here tried organic cat food?
Izzy is 8 yrs old now and at the health store I go to, recommended organic cat food (no grain) they said it would be easier on her digestive system. I am not sure she is eating much of it
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Organic food

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi, if it's a health food store recommending it, and not a vet or at least someone with a background in feline nutrition, I'd treat it with some degree of caution, as they've got a vested interest in selling it to you. At the very least, check it's a complete cat food and not a supplement. But at the end of the day, if your cat doesn't like it, it's money wasted.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I agree with Anna - be careful if someone at the shop is trying to sell you something ;)

There are other grain / cereal free foods as well, and whilst they may not be organic they are vast amounts cheaper.

Lily's kitchen is a very good organic complete food
Butchers Classic is a very good complete tinned food that is cereal free

But most important, feed Izzy what she will eat
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by brigidrynne »

I agree with the others. I'd be wary of organic pet food from a health shop. However, it is a mistake to think that your average high street vet has more than a cursory interest/understanding of feline nutrition. Their training in animal nutrition is quite generalistic and is often sponsored by the pet food industry.

Personally, if you are thinking of going down the organic cat food route, I would seriously consider looking at a raw food diet. I'm a great fan of Dr Lisa Pierson. What she says about feline nutrition makes a great deal of sense to me.