Acute Kidney Failure

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Acute Kidney Failure

Post by Joanne_ »

Batfink wrote:Good news about the weight gain :D We have also had a small weight gain so really pleased with that. I've been searching for where to buy Royal Canin Renal and found the cheapest so far to be Animed Direct: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/royal-can ... ArSZ8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who still have the 100g pouches. I noticed yesterday at the vets that they only had 85g pouches in tuna & beef but had 100g in chicken but that will be gone soon too as they the size is changing to 85g. They weren't sure if the price has also dropped but will check. I'd rather the larger pouches as our boy is eating quite a bit at the moment. Unless they have changed the formula of the smaller pouches. I haven't compared feeding recommendations between the two sizes.

I had a look for reviews of Animed Direct and they seem to be a legitimate company: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=3236750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sarie and Mark - thank you for your experiences with the Semintra. Good idea about treats afterwards. Our boy is very food motivated so that should work with him too.

Thanks. Seems anywhere is cheaper than the vets. They charged £55 for 10 pouches and a 2kg bag:\
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Natcat wrote:Hello

I could open Jimmy's photo - what a lovely boy!! I didn't know acute kidney failure could be reversed so fingers crossed for you all. Sounds like he's improving :)

Natalie x

Aww thank you he really is :)
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

okay so a little update.

I did not get to see much of him yesterday as I was out for my birthday however both my parents watched him and reported he did not seem to be eating much. When I arrived home he was again hiding away in places he does not usually go and was refusing any food I offered. Today it started off the same, just not eating much and sleeping a lot so I headed to pets at home and just bought a selection of tins and tried to keep to senior food. He ate half a tin of applaws tuna and a 1/4 of science plan light and a handful of his renal biscuits. He is still going outside during the day for maybe 10 mins at a time which is good. Last night he actually went out at midnight and was sat under the table refusing to come in ha. He is very stubborn and everything is on his terms:p

Having difficulty getting his sickness meds in him, managed to quirt a little in his mouth today and wondered if that was maybe that's why he had not been eating well.

oh and also mum said she watched him poop on the garden and it was really black. Any idea why this maybe?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Poor boy. From my recent reading on this subject here:

http://www.felineconstipation.org/whatgoeswrong.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A black tarry stool can indicate digested blood from bleeding in the upper gut so the cause must be determined."

Worth mentioning to your vet, I think.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

what colour is his fur? if he is black the poop could have contained swallowed fur - otherwise stale blood can cause black poop, which would be something you would need to speak to your vet about

sitting out in the cold and/or wet can be a symptom of kidney disease, as toxin build up causes confusion in the brain, so it would be unwise to assume going out is a sign of his getting better - but these things take time, and hopefully you will have him back to normal soon

snap Crewella, our great minds are thinking alike again!
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Batfink »

Our boys is really dark and he isn't going very often, not every day. I asked and the vet said it is because the renal food is highly digestible so there is less waste. Dark just means it is concentrated but if it is actually black then that could mean there is some blood in it. Try to get a good look next time he goes. Just an idea but if you put a bit on some wet kitchen roll then if there is any blood it should show up on the white of the kitchen roll. Or just take some to the vets for them to have a look at.

Glad to hear you managed to get some food that he would eat. I'm having a bit of trouble today, I think his poorly tooth is causing him problems. I've tried mashing it up a bit but the vet wiggled his tooth a bit this morning so hoping he will eat better a bit later. Fingers crossed. I do have some Applaws chicken and cheese just in case. Although it isn't senior but then it's more important they eat something.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Crewella wrote:Poor boy. From my recent reading on this subject here:

http://www.felineconstipation.org/whatgoeswrong.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A black tarry stool can indicate digested blood from bleeding in the upper gut so the cause must be determined."

Worth mentioning to your vet, I think.
Oh hope its not that. Will def mention it to her.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Kay wrote:what colour is his fur? if he is black the poop could have contained swallowed fur - otherwise stale blood can cause black poop, which would be something you would need to speak to your vet about

sitting out in the cold and/or wet can be a symptom of kidney disease, as toxin build up causes confusion in the brain, so it would be unwise to assume going out is a sign of his getting better - but these things take time, and hopefully you will have him back to normal soon

snap Crewella, our great minds are thinking alike again!

his fur is more browny (I am hopeless at describing a colour ha) here is a pic
Attachments
480560_4529871837582_711414841_n.jpg
(75.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Batfink wrote:Our boys is really dark and he isn't going very often, not every day. I asked and the vet said it is because the renal food is highly digestible so there is less waste. Dark just means it is concentrated but if it is actually black then that could mean there is some blood in it. Try to get a good look next time he goes. Just an idea but if you put a bit on some wet kitchen roll then if there is any blood it should show up on the white of the kitchen roll. Or just take some to the vets for them to have a look at.

Glad to hear you managed to get some food that he would eat. I'm having a bit of trouble today, I think his poorly tooth is causing him problems. I've tried mashing it up a bit but the vet wiggled his tooth a bit this morning so hoping he will eat better a bit later. Fingers crossed. I do have some Applaws chicken and cheese just in case. Although it isn't senior but then it's more important they eat something.

How is your cat today?

a little update on Jimmy:

He I still very quiet and hiding away. His appetite is still poor which is a shame as things looked good earlier in week. I managed to get down him around a tin of food(the tiny tins). I even drove and got him his favourite fish from the fish shop but he ate maybe a mouthful if that:(
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Managed to get jimmy to eat another tin tonight. Now he cannot have food till after his bloods.

Also just caught him having a wee in the shower. This has never happed before unless I have just never seen it:\
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Joanne_ wrote:Also just caught him having a wee in the shower. This has never happed before unless I have just never seen it:
Purdy sometimes goes in the bath. I don't mind - it's better than some of the other places she goes and easier to clean!
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

So today jimmy is drinking more however from bloods there was a very slight improvement. His hydration is fine and he was given antibiotics as his mouth is a little swollen and so far managed to get him to eat this in food. His weight is the same which is good and they are ordering him special stuff to go in his food since he wont have the renal now.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

It might be baby steps, but it does sound like an improvement! :D Gentle fusses to Jimmy.
Natcat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Natcat »

Just read the last few posts to see how Jimmy's getting on. It does sound like there is some improvement so keep up the good work!!

You will know when enough is enough and right now it sounds like he's picking up :)

So pleased for you and like the last post says it sounds like he's getting better slowly but surely.

Fingers are crossed for little Jimmy xxx
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Thanks guys:) Jimmy today seems a bit more active and happy. He has eaten maybe 1.5 tins and taken his tablets in this okay, although I do have to bribe him with some dreamies LOL he gets very excited when he sees them.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It does sound as though he's slowly improving - all paws here crossed for him. :)
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

I am so annoyed. Jimmy has his meds every 12 hours. 9am and 9pm. I am going away for the night tomorrow so have been telling my father what to do etc and for some reason him amd mum decided to give him tjem 3 hours early:( i am so worried he will get sick from this. Do you think he will be ok?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'd feel the same as you do, but actually I'm sure he'll be fine - it's near enough.
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Batfink »

Joanne_ wrote:
Batfink wrote:Good news about the weight gain :D We have also had a small weight gain so really pleased with that. I've been searching for where to buy Royal Canin Renal and found the cheapest so far to be Animed Direct: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/royal-can ... ArSZ8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who still have the 100g pouches. I noticed yesterday at the vets that they only had 85g pouches in tuna & beef but had 100g in chicken but that will be gone soon too as they the size is changing to 85g. They weren't sure if the price has also dropped but will check. I'd rather the larger pouches as our boy is eating quite a bit at the moment. Unless they have changed the formula of the smaller pouches. I haven't compared feeding recommendations between the two sizes.

I had a look for reviews of Animed Direct and they seem to be a legitimate company: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=3236750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sarie and Mark - thank you for your experiences with the Semintra. Good idea about treats afterwards. Our boy is very food motivated so that should work with him too.

Thanks. Seems anywhere is cheaper than the vets. They charged £55 for 10 pouches and a 2kg bag:\
My delivery of a box of 4 (48 pouches) is due to arrive today so I'll let you know how it goes. Hoping they are the 100g packs as the website details said and not the 85g new size packs. Although I think they would still be good value compared to the prices charged else where!
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Batfink »

How is Jimmy? I'm sure the change in times of his meds won't be a problem. I know it's not ideal but at least he got them. Sounds like he is making good progress.

Thank you for asking after ours (his name is Chugnut but it's such an odd name - blame my partner - that I often don't tell people!). Chuggers is ok in himself, as good as he has been since he became ill but not not as bright as I'd like. We were seeing improvements every day but last week after the vets on Thursday he's been more picky about his food. We first thought it was because the vet wiggled his poorly tooth but then he chose to eat hard food without complaint. Saturday was particularly bad but then he scoffed loads on Sunday. This morning he is interested but only had a bit of a nibble.

I've got to take his brother (not by blood) down today as he was in a fight and has a swollen leg, probably from a bite as we heard fighting just before he came home with a limp last night. The same thing happened this time last year but we didn't know what had happened until he'd had an X-ray. The fuss he was making we thought it was broken. So I will speak to the vet about Chuggers at the same time. They are best buddies so I'll take them down together, which will make the trip less stressful for them both.

I've been trying all sorts of things to get Chug to eat. He likes the rustle of the bag of kibble or the pouch of meat so I put some in his bowl from the packet in front of him. This always gets him interested. Also, only a little at a time so the action of putting a bit more in his dish gets him interested again after he's had a nibble. Another trick that worked a couple of times was putting a small amount of kibble in my hand (direct from the packet in front of him) and holding it up for him. I wonder if he thought it was a treat so tucked in. I refilled my hand a few times like this and he ate a fair amount.

I've also read that raising the level of their bowls can encourage them to eat more. I'm not sure of the reason but it was via a reputable source. I'm pretty sure it was on catprofessional.com.

The Animed Direct order has just arrived and it is the 85g packs. I'll have to double check if it is still a good deal and see about making a complaint.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I also do the raised bowl thing. They recommend it as cats with kidney or other problems can feel nauseous and leaning over to eat can make it worse. Also with older cats raised dishes make it more comfortable to eat -especially if they are stiff or arthritic.

PS - Zoolpus sell a very palatable kidney dry food, called Happy Cat.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Batfink wrote:How is Jimmy? I'm sure the change in times of his meds won't be a problem. I know it's not ideal but at least he got them. Sounds like he is making good progress.

Thank you for asking after ours (his name is Chugnut but it's such an odd name - blame my partner - that I often don't tell people!). Chuggers is ok in himself, as good as he has been since he became ill but not not as bright as I'd like. We were seeing improvements every day but last week after the vets on Thursday he's been more picky about his food. We first thought it was because the vet wiggled his poorly tooth but then he chose to eat hard food without complaint. Saturday was particularly bad but then he scoffed loads on Sunday. This morning he is interested but only had a bit of a nibble.

I've got to take his brother (not by blood) down today as he was in a fight and has a swollen leg, probably from a bite as we heard fighting just before he came home with a limp last night. The same thing happened this time last year but we didn't know what had happened until he'd had an X-ray. The fuss he was making we thought it was broken. So I will speak to the vet about Chuggers at the same time. They are best buddies so I'll take them down together, which will make the trip less stressful for them both.

I've been trying all sorts of things to get Chug to eat. He likes the rustle of the bag of kibble or the pouch of meat so I put some in his bowl from the packet in front of him. This always gets him interested. Also, only a little at a time so the action of putting a bit more in his dish gets him interested again after he's had a nibble. Another trick that worked a couple of times was putting a small amount of kibble in my hand (direct from the packet in front of him) and holding it up for him. I wonder if he thought it was a treat so tucked in. I refilled my hand a few times like this and he ate a fair amount.

I've also read that raising the level of their bowls can encourage them to eat more. I'm not sure of the reason but it was via a reputable source. I'm pretty sure it was on catprofessional.com.

The Animed Direct order has just arrived and it is the 85g packs. I'll have to double check if it is still a good deal and see about making a complaint.
Glad he has improved a bit. How is your other cat?

update on Jimmy:

I was away the past 2 days however today my father reported that he seemed more active and his old self so I hope this lasts. The vet gave him some Ipakitine yesterday so dad has been giving him this. However I am a bit confused with it. It says 2 spoons a day but it does not say how much food this should go on? does it matter? Jimmy never has a full tin or pouch at a time.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Batfink wrote:How is Jimmy? I'm sure the change in times of his meds won't be a problem. I know it's not ideal but at least he got them. Sounds like he is making good progress.

I will def invest in one if I find he begins to have problems
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Re Ipakitine - I have used it for cats with kidney problems in the past and I just added a level measure to all wet meals. Clapton loved fish and chicken - they are high phosphorus, but I decided not to deprive him of his favourite things, so even dusted those in it.

I have always assumed that a level measure is the amount needed for a cat-sized meal.

There is a newer (been out for around 5 years) more effective phosphorus binder, called Renalzin. It is a paste that comes in a pump. Not all cats will take to it, but worth trying as it does bind phosphates more effectively. I have yet to know a cat that refuses food with Ipakitine in it though :)
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

AHHHH guys I am soooo excited Jimmy got picked for the final 10 of pets at home VIP PLEASE go to their FB and vote!!! (hope this works) https://www.facebook.com/petsathomeUK/p ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Done - go Jimmy, it's a lovely pic! :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Done (I assume you just have to 'like' the pic?)

Great photo - hope he wins :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Just got my friend Sharon Bedford to like on my my behalf, as I have deactivated my account a while ago....Go Jimmy !!!!!! What a handsome boy ... :D
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

MarkB wrote:Re Ipakitine - I have used it for cats with kidney problems in the past and I just added a level measure to all wet meals. Clapton loved fish and chicken - they are high phosphorus, but I decided not to deprive him of his favourite things, so even dusted those in it.

I have always assumed that a level measure is the amount needed for a cat-sized meal.

There is a newer (been out for around 5 years) more effective phosphorus binder, called Renalzin. It is a paste that comes in a pump. Not all cats will take to it, but worth trying as it does bind phosphates more effectively. I have yet to know a cat that refuses food with Ipakitine in it though :)

Oh I shall look into renalzin:) thanks
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Thank you all for the votes! currently in 3rd place.

Update:

The past few days Jimmy seems brighter maybe the fact he is in the top 10 on the pets at home page helped :lol: He is more active and eating better. I feel I can actually leave him for periods without worrying, whereas before I felt as if all I did was watch his every breath.