Acute Kidney Failure

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Acute Kidney Failure

Post by bobbys girl »

That's all good news. Well done Jimmy (and Joanne). Keep up the good work. :D
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

thanks.

Jimmy is still doing okay:) He wanted to go out at 1 am which is so typical when I just want to sleep LOL. He then spent 30 minutes out and took his time coming in ha he is very stubborn and only comes in when he wishes. But it is jut nice seeing him out and about like he was before. He finished his antibiotics for his mouth so I hope it does not flare up again. How is everyone else's cat doing?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Glad he seems to be feeling a bit better. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Sounds like Jimmy is well on the mend !!!!...poor you with the 1am trip in the cold !!....well done to you for everything you have done for the lovely Jimmy, bless you......xx
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

another update

Jimmy still spends a lot of time upstairs away from everyone however he spends a lot less time asleep, comes down to see us a lot more and till keeps adventuring out. His eating is okay, could be better but he has never really been a big eater.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for the update. Good to hear of his continued improvement. :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Joanne, sounds like Jimmy is making progress, great to hear it... :D x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yep, glad to hear he's doing better. :)
minabina369
New Cat Chatter

Post by minabina369 »

My cat was diagnosed last Jan with kidney failure. She barely ate, lost a lot of weight, wouldn't let me give her IV's and I thought she would die very soon. My vet suggested B12 injections and that helped her regain her appetite. As the months went on, she gained all her weight back and then some.

I also started giving her diluted stem cells for kidneys, made for humans. What was there to lose? She almost died and I had to try something. Now, one year later, she is happy, healthy, following me around, and as fat as a butterball turkey. She gets a few drops of diluted kidney stem cells each night.

As long as her golden years are comfortable and she's content. then I'm thrilled. If you're interested, I can pass on the name of the company that makes it.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

minabina369 wrote: I also started giving her diluted stem cells for kidneys, made for humans. What was there to lose? She almost died and I had to try something. Now, one year later, she is happy, healthy, following me around, and as fat as a butterball turkey. She gets a few drops of diluted kidney stem cells each night.

As long as her golden years are comfortable and she's content. then I'm thrilled. If you're interested, I can pass on the name of the company that makes it.
I'd be interested in the science behind this - please share.

Thank you.
minabina369
New Cat Chatter

Post by minabina369 »

Go to this web site and look under resource center:

http://medix4life.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

minabina369 wrote:I also started giving her diluted stem cells for kidneys, made for humans. What was there to lose? She almost died and I had to try something. Now, one year later, she is happy, healthy, following me around, and as fat as a butterball turkey. She gets a few drops of diluted kidney stem cells each night.
There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start. First of all, there is currently no medically approved stem-cell treatment for kidney disease in humans. Second, you can't just interchange between human cells and cat cells. Third, how exactly are these 'diluted' stem cells (whatever those are supposed to be) administered? If the cat is swallowing them they will be denatured within seconds by stomach acids. And finally, there often IS something to lose from trying untested, experimental therapies.

Please don't give people false hope by advertising psuedoscience, all this offers is a way for unscrupulous individuals to make money by misleading people desperate to help their loved ones/pets.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Camdengirl wrote:
minabina369 wrote:I also started giving her diluted stem cells for kidneys, made for humans. What was there to lose? She almost died and I had to try something. Now, one year later, she is happy, healthy, following me around, and as fat as a butterball turkey. She gets a few drops of diluted kidney stem cells each night.
There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start. First of all, there is currently no medically approved stem-cell treatment for kidney disease in humans. Second, you can't just interchange between human cells and cat cells. Third, how exactly are these 'diluted' stem cells (whatever those are supposed to be) administered? If the cat is swallowing them they will be denatured within seconds by stomach acids. And finally, there often IS something to lose from trying untested, experimental therapies.

Please don't give people false hope by advertising psuedoscience, all this offers is a way for unscrupulous individuals to make money by misleading people desperate to help their loved ones/pets.
Totally agree with Camdengirl on this .....the whole thing screams out as so like an advert....and a very dangerous one too, how irresponsible ...... :evil:
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Camdengirl wrote:

Well I was very interested in the science behind it, because for my thesis, I created a database to store information about different types of biological pathways.

Ok, having gone to the website, they don't actually claim to be feeding stem cells. They claim their "supplement" starts a chain reaction that activates adult stem cells.
Do I believe them? Absolutely not. It's a scam. Notice how they use buzzwords like "nanoparticles". There has been no peer-reviewed study of what they claim, and it isn't even approved by the FDA (although just because something isn't approved by the FDA, it doesn't mean it doesn't work).
I guarantee you, if there was a known way to regenerate adult stem cells by simply taking a supplement, it would be a huge scientific breakthrough - currently, we have to directly inject the cells into the site for maximum effect.

I loathe sites like this that take advantage of people's desperation to make money. I am of a very thin build, and when I was at university, I really liked a girl who said she is attracted to bigger guys, so I started taking this growth hormone treatment that said it would make me bigger. Now I come from a science background, yet I fell for this scam because I was so desperate to somehow become bigger so that this girl might want to be with me, and that's what these abhorrent sites prey on - our desperations.

I am really glad your cat is doing better, but I can say with 99% certainty, it isn't because of this supplement you give her. As for pseudoscience, I think camdengirl is being way too kind - I'd say it is junk science.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Camdengirl too. (and Ahmed).

Never do things without vet approval - if you don't agree with your vet, then discuss or get a second vet's opinion, or change vets, but to wander off into the realms of 'snake oil' on your own, just through something read on t'intynet, is a very bad idea indeed. If you can't find a single vet that supports such a treatment, then that should tell you something.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I am really glad your cat is doing better, but I can say with 99% certainty, it isn't because of this supplement you give her. As for pseudoscience, I think camdengirl is being way too kind - I'd say it is junk science.[/quote]

Totally agree with this....utter nonsense to put forward theses ridiculous "cures" ........... :cry:
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

I agree with what everyone is saying about the stem cells. Plus I would never trust anything online that a vet did not suggest. A lot of meds etc that you can just buy are not even the real deal.

Really glad though that your cat is much better:)
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

So today Jimmy has been amazing! Spent a lot of time downstairs chilling with us. Also no idea why but we have all noticed how AMAZING his fur is... Even before his kidney disease his fur was scruffy, mattered and he hated being combed. Now it is SO SO silky and smooth! and he is just cleaning himself way more. Anyone know why this may be? he is such a HUNK haha
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm pleased to hear that Jimmy is doing so well. As for his coat, it may be down to a change of diet or it may just be that he is feeling better and has started taking a bit more interest in his 'appearence' :D
You did say he was grooming himself a lot more. Whatever is behind it, it's a good sign.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

update. Jimmy still seems fairly bright but today I was giving him some dreamies like I give him everyday and he like made a weird noise maybe like a hacking noise and scared himself and hid under the table. Then again tonight I gave his food and added a few on top as this usually gets him to eat and he did the same thing:\ any idea what happened:\ seemed so odd as he has never done it before
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Glad he's feeling better - I've found they do wash less when not feeling well, so washing more is definitely a good sign. Not sure what the hacking might be, hopefully it will pass.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

The hacking thing is confusing me:\ I have been trying to give him hi food without dreamies and he was okay then I gave him a few (I even crushed them up) and he hacked. So weird.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Jimmy seems a bit constipated. Any idea on how to help this? Going to take him to the vet on Monday as I think the hacking thing he does is because his mouth could be sore.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Joanne....my Barney suffers with constipation quite a lot, extremely bad, to the point he cries in pain, ....if you can get some warm water into his food, maybe with a little olive oil for tonight that will help......'Miralax' can be ordered through the internet which really helps Barney, though on small doses now and then, it has made his life so much easier....and mine..!! I used to sit and cry with him as he struggled to "go"...I also have Lacto paste, which I only use when he is really constipated, you can get this on line from reputable sellers......My boy is allergic to fish, so I can't give him any fish but if your cat is not then try fish in oil, if you can, ..x
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

JulieandBarney wrote:Hi Joanne....my Barney suffers with constipation quite a lot, extremely bad, to the point he cries in pain, ....if you can get some warm water into his food, maybe with a little olive oil for tonight that will help......'Miralax' can be ordered through the internet which really helps Barney, though on small doses now and then, it has made his life so much easier....and mine..!! I used to sit and cry with him as he struggled to "go"...I also have Lacto paste, which I only use when he is really constipated, you can get this on line from reputable sellers......My boy is allergic to fish, so I can't give him any fish but if your cat is not then try fish in oil, if you can, ..x

Thanks for the reply. I will try that:) So sorry to hear your boy cries:( that is awful. Thankfully Jimmy has not done that yet. What happens to Barney when he eat fish?
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Joanne

If Barney eats any form of fish or any food with even a hint of fish flavouring, he continuously vomits and becomes extremely lethargic for about 24 hours. If you are anywhere near a Pets at home, 'Applaws' do a chicken with pumpkin flavour food, pumpkin is excellent for constipation in cats, I was cooking a butternut squash last week for the dog and cat as that is a good alternative to pumpkin too!
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

bit of a update. Took Jimmy to the vet about his mouth thinking it was just an ulcer but nope he has a Tooth lesions :( Its really bad and she said if he was younger then she would have it taken out but because of his kidney failure she cant risk it. So he has a five day supply of meds and says in around 3 week it should have gone. But 3 weeks is so long. He is not eating at all now. I am at a loss:( he is clearly hungry too but every time he has a mouthful he yelps and run away and looks at his food as if its the food causing it all. Has anyone got any tips on getting him to eat?? he is on pure only and it still hurts. I was debating getting some cat milk and mixing it with his pure? I know dad gave him some fish from fish shop and I had to blend it with a bit of our milk and managed to get him to eat maybe a spoon... If he wasn't so skinny (3.7) i'd not worry so much.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor Jimmy, the last thing he needed was this on top of everything else. You could try asking the vet for Hill's a/d (it's prescription) - it's highly concentrated so they need to eat less if it than regular food. It can be used for syringe feeding, so is very soft and fine and he wouldn't need to chew.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I kept a cat going who couldn't eat normally because of a severely ulcerated tongue by liquidising food for her - mainly beef mince and chicken livers - she managed to lap up enough to give abs a chance to kick in
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Joanne_ wrote: he is clearly hungry too but every time he has a mouthful he yelps and run away and looks at his food as if its the food causing it all.
Purdy was just like that last week. You just feel so helpless.

But the Hill's Perscription is a good idea.There is also a sloppy 'baby food' called Recovery (not sure if Hills make that too) but Purdy loves it. She is a skinny little thing (always was) and we occasionally use it to build her up. She managed to eat quite a bit of that when her mouth was too sore to chew.

Gentle fusses to your poor little man