Acute Kidney Failure

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Acute Kidney Failure

Post by Joanne_ »

My cat was just diagnosed with Acute Kidney Failure:'( He spent the night on a drip and was allowed home today. When we collected him, he was brighter however since coming home (4 hours ago) he has been very quiet and hidden himself away:( I just wondered if this was a sign he was going back over or is this something expected now he has this disease? He has to go back to the vet on Monday for a check up.
Natcat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Acute Kidney Failure

Post by Natcat »

Hello Joanne

Thank you for the reply on my post about lovely Millie.

I'm sorry to hear about your little one too, it's horrible when they're diagnosed with something that can't be cured. In answer to your concern though it may just be that he's recovering from just having been through an ordeal at the vets! Millie did this for the whole day after her recent overnight stay but the next day she was as happy as Larry again :)

All you can do is just monitor him and any concern then call the vet but I would just leave him in peace for now and see if he perks up tomorrow - I'm sure he just needs to recover as Millie did.

My thoughts are with you. Let me know how he gets on over the next few days x
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Thank you for your reply. It is really hard having a sick pet and knowing at some point they will die. My very first cat died from thyroid issues and my second very suddenly died from a stroke. Jimmy is my 3rd cat who came to us one evening late July in 08 a week after my second cat Ernie had died, it was like he knew there was a free space and decided to move in lol. Since he moved in we have landed with two more cats at our door (Erik and Ted). Jimmy has always been very healthy until the past year where he had cold after cold and the teeth issues resulting in some taken out. He was actually only at the vet for his flu jab on Tuesday and was fit and healthy so it was a massive shock how fast he went down hill. They vet feels he maybe ate something bad but he is not one for leaving the garden really so it is hard to tell. Since I made this post he has eaten, drank and urinated and had a little sit outside:) so that was lovely to see. Do you have a picture of your Millie? Here is my Jimmy (hope this posts).
Attachments
564931_3413702374043_36279197_n.jpg
(100.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I don't have any words of wisdom to add, I just wanted to say your boy is gorgeous and I can tell he'll get the best of care with you. Gentle fusses from me to Jimmy.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Lyn from Australia wrote:I don't have any words of wisdom to add, I just wanted to say your boy is gorgeous and I can tell he'll get the best of care with you. Gentle fusses from me to Jimmy.
Thank you for your kind words:)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Hi Joanne,

Cats can recover completely from Acute kidney failure, depending on the damage. Unlike Chronic kidney disease, it usually doesn't get worse over time. Did they say what might have caused it? - the most common causes are ingesting antifreeze, lilies or phenols from disinfectant, as far as I know.

I know some cats benefit from a renal diet.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

My sister, 'georgie girl', lost a cat to antifreeze and nearly lost Yowlee. I'll ask her to post on Monday with the details. (She can't use her 'pooter at home since her OH screwed up their internet connection :roll: )

Lysander, the cat she lost was an older boy. But Yowlee was much younger and is an enormous cat (something in his favour). It has left him needing a special diet.

She will tell you more on Monday
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

MarkB wrote:Hi Joanne,

Cats can recover completely from Acute kidney failure, depending on the damage. Unlike Chronic kidney disease, it usually doesn't get worse over time. Did they say what might have caused it? - the most common causes are ingesting antifreeze, lilies or phenols from disinfectant, as far as I know.

I know some cats benefit from a renal diet.

They are not sure. They asked if we had lilies around or if he went far as they suspected it would be some kind of poison. We are not too sure really as Jimmy has never been one to wonder far at all. However there has been reports of cruelty to animals in the area with someone throwing antifreeze on them:( but again he generally does not seem to adventure far. I hope he does recover although the vet said its very unlikely. His blood readings where through the roof. We were told normal is 140 or below and his was verging on 700:(

They vet has him on royal canin renal food to try but as he is skinny she said it is more important he eats, so if he was fussy with this food to just let him eat what he wanted. But so far he seems to like it.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

bobbys girl wrote:My sister, 'georgie girl', lost a cat to antifreeze and nearly lost Yowlee. I'll ask her to post on Monday with the details. (She can't use her 'pooter at home since her OH screwed up their internet connection :roll: )

Lysander, the cat she lost was an older boy. But Yowlee was much younger and is an enormous cat (something in his favour). It has left him needing a special diet.

She will tell you more on Monday

Hi. Thanks for replying I will look out for her reply.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Joanne_ wrote:she said it is more important he eats, so if he was fussy with this food to just let him eat what he wanted.
Yowlee didn't want to eat. The nurse at the vets said to try Tesco chicken roll - she admitted it was not the best food for cats (understatement!) but... Judy would have tried anything! Anyway Yowlee ate it and that was the turning point.

She will tell you this anyway. But I thought 24hrs is a long time when something like this happens. Don't give up hope. x
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Just a little update. He seems brighter today, but still a bit quiet. He has eaten, drank and adventured outside a few times. Currently he is asleep on the sofa:)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That's a good sign. I really hope he's on the mend. xx

If he eats the renal food, that's great, but my lot (oldies with chronic renal problems, not acute) were really not keen on it, especially when not feeling too good. If he goes off the renal food, senior cat food tends to be better than regular cat food for cats with renal problems.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

My Lily had acute kidney failure after an operation, but that was a two or three years ago now (i've lost track of time!) It was frightening at the time, and we nearly lost her, but a few days on a drip, rest and careful feeding, and she made a good recovery. She's on a (part) renal diet, fortekor pills (hidden in webbox sticks - she has no idea!) and ipakitine phosphate binders in her food and is still with us. It took her a while to pull round, but she's been fairly stable on this routine. She has her bloods checked two or three times a year to keep tabs. Make sure your boy has constant access to fresh water - this condition makes them thirsty, and it helps keep their kidneys flushed out. Lily has four bowls round the house and two in the garden, and she complains if we don't change them all at least once a day. She does a tour of each of them to check!
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Crewella wrote:That's a good sign. I really hope he's on the mend. xx

If he eats the renal food, that's great, but my lot (oldies with chronic renal problems, not acute) were really not keen on it, especially when not feeling too good. If he goes off the renal food, senior cat food tends to be better than regular cat food for cats with renal problems.
So far he is eating it although having issues him eating it with medication in. The medication is only meant to be for sickness in case he feels it so I am unsure if this is highly important? as he has shown no signs of feeling off his food etc. He also ate a little bit of chicken today.

Be interesting to see his next blood results. I assume readings can go down?
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

lilynmitz wrote:My Lily had acute kidney failure after an operation, but that was a two or three years ago now (i've lost track of time!) It was frightening at the time, and we nearly lost her, but a few days on a drip, rest and careful feeding, and she made a good recovery. She's on a (part) renal diet, fortekor pills (hidden in webbox sticks - she has no idea!) and ipakitine phosphate binders in her food and is still with us. It took her a while to pull round, but she's been fairly stable on this routine. She has her bloods checked two or three times a year to keep tabs. Make sure your boy has constant access to fresh water - this condition makes them thirsty, and it helps keep their kidneys flushed out. Lily has four bowls round the house and two in the garden, and she complains if we don't change them all at least once a day. She does a tour of each of them to check!
Oh that's good to know. Since he came home I've put a bowl of water upstairs also:) and also keep food near him too. I think he feels spoilt. He had not used the litter tray much today... I cannot work out if that is a good sign? as I did read this can happen if they are really bad? but like I said he seems brighter.. so is it possible that his kidneys are working a little better?
georgie girl
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by georgie girl »

As my sister mentioned last week we had two cats poisioned with antifreeze. The vet is certain of it. It was a few years ago now. Lysanda our old boy had never been a very hearty chap having survived cat flu when he was a few weeks old. Even after being on a drip for two days to flush him out he sadly had a fit, and died in my arms. Yowlee on the other hand although very poorly at the time, pulled through and I'm convinced it is partly because he's such a big boy. It gave him reserves that Lysanda just didn't have. He is now on Royal Canin Renal food and is thriving on it
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Batfink »

Hi Joanne,

I'm sorry to read you are going through this too. I'm currently going through similar with my boy who was diagnosed last week. We don't know if it was a toxin or crept up on him as he is only 7 but did have some illness before hand that could indicate chronic rather than acute. There is also a possibility that the metacam that the vet gave him earlier in the day before he was found really unwell made it worse or even caused the kidney damage. I found him in a bad way in a neighbours shed and rushed him to the vets. He was on a drip for 3 days and is now home but not himself. He is on Royal Canin Renal diet (been told to avoid tuna flavour - any type of tuna food due to the Mercury levels & also they can stop eating other types, almost getting addicted to tuna) and Fortekor. This is the standard treatment in the UK. However, I joined a support group recommended via this forum and have been told there is more to try. So we have an appointment at the vets later to possibly change his medication to something which was actually recommended in the article my own vets gave me. Does yours have high blood pressure? It's common with kidney problems but can be controlled which in turns helps stop the kidney damage getting worse.

This is the main information site: http://www.felinecrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the forums here: http://www.felinecrf.org/tanyas_support_group.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The users all have cats going through similar and are friendly and offer advice readily. It is primarily American but the treatments are the same and there are also UK users that I've had replies from. It really helps if you have the results of all the tests that have been done (blood, urine, blood pressure etc) so people can advise you best. I've yet to get all ours from the vet as I only found the forum this weekend just gone, so am getting the results from the vets when I go later today.

Edited for spelling
Last edited by Batfink on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It saysin this article the ACE Inhibitors (ie Fortekor) are contraindicated for Acute renal failure. http://vetboss.co.uk/show10MinuteTopUp. ... Ups&ID=156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a new (been out for a year) drug, called Semintra. One of mine is on it, I believe it is safe for use with Acute, as well as Chronic kidney disease.

I don;t have forst hand experience with Acute, but have had several cats with chronic. Clapton lived 5 years from diagnosis.
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Batfink »

MarkB wrote:It saysin this article the ACE Inhibitors (ie Fortekor) are contraindicated for Acute renal failure. http://vetboss.co.uk/show10MinuteTopUp. ... Ups&ID=156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a new (been out for a year) drug, called Semintra. One of mine is on it, I believe it is safe for use with Acute, as well as Chronic kidney disease.
I've just got back from the vets with mine and were discussing Semintra. How does your cat find it? The vets were concerned that it would put our boy off taking any medication as the cats she has tried with it all refused to take it at all. It does sound to be the way forward, if you can get it in to your cat. We are going back Thursday and will see about it then.

Interesting article, thank you for posting. The Fortekor seems to be helping our boy as his eye sight has improved and has less blood at the back of his eye (now only in one eye), heart rate lower, although we were unable to take his blood pressure today due to a small nose bleed (we think caused by a bad tooth under the same nostril). He also has a sore bladder so had a long lasting antibiotic injection.

Joanne, how are you getting on today?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Laz isn't crazy about it, but you squirt it into their mouth (into the side to avoid them inhaling it) Laz has it to the 3kg mark - I do it in 2 or 3 squeezes in quick succession.

Laz hasn't actually been diagnosed with kidney problems yet. He went blind a few months ago. I took him to the vet and they said he had retinal detachment and put him on 1/4 Istin a day. Although the lowering of his blood pressure restored some sight, the drug made him comatose almost. Carol on here said that Semintra ad reduced her cat, fluffy's blood pressure a fair bit. I asked the vet if we could try it. He said he didn't think it would reduced the blood pressure enough, but he was happy to give it a try along with generic Fortekor. The combined drugs are lowering his BP enough and he is also a bit more with it, compared to taking Istin (although a lot more expensive way of doing it! :) ) - The vet said given his age (16 or 17) he is likely to need Semintra soon anyway, so he will benefit from it.

I have read that some cats really like it and will eat it as a treat.

Anyway, Laz's evening meds are Benefortin (generic Fortekor), Semintra and Felimazole, followed by DDAVP hormone squirted up his nose.

I always have a tempting meal ready. I usually give Laz a pouch of Salmon & trout doubly delicious. I have it ready before he has his meds so he can tuck into it straight away.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

I had to give Harvey Semintra for a while and he was fine with it. I squirted it into his mouth directly and although he wasn't overly pleased about being manhandled he took it willingly and didn't struggle or spit it out and he's usually a pretty wilful cat. He got so used to it he'd wait as soon as I got the syringe out and then tolerate it, knowing he'd get a treat afterwards :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I usually taste meds to have an idea of what I am giving them. I forgot this time. I will wait until I start a new one and give it a try (the syringe has been in his mouth. As much as I love him... :) )
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

I'll just do a quick update since it is late and reply to you all properly tomorrow.

We went to the vet and Jimmy had gained some weight:) not much he went from 3.9 to 4.0. She said he didn't feel dehydrated and it was a good sign that he was drinking and urinating less. He is still a little quiet and hides a way but he is more brighter and like his old self which is amazing:) He goes back on Friday for bloods.

Does anyone know where online is best to buy his royal canin renal? I have seen pet supermarket which seems best up to now but is there anywhere else?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Joanne_ wrote:We went to the vet and Jimmy had gained some weight:) not much he went from 3.9 to 4.0. She said he didn't feel dehydrated and it was a good sign that he was drinking and urinating less. He is still a little quiet and hides a way but he is more brighter and like his old self which is amazing:)
That's good news Joanne. Fingers crossed for Friday.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

That's good. 100g isn't bad really - and at least it is in the right direction.

As for buying renal food. Most places charge pretty much the same, within £1 or so. There are a few online sellers that are all the same company. Pet-Supermarket, Medicanimal and a couple of others. I tend to avoid them as one of my orders took a week to arrive.

I find Viovet very reliable. Pets at Home also do prescription food now and surprisingly not much more expensive than other online sellers - so good if you can combine an order with regular cat food that is on offer.

One thing to bear in mind is that there are a couple of Royal Canin renal dry foods, so worth checking the code when you order. I think one is for early stages.
Batfink
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Batfink »

Good news about the weight gain :D We have also had a small weight gain so really pleased with that. I've been searching for where to buy Royal Canin Renal and found the cheapest so far to be Animed Direct: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/royal-can ... ArSZ8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who still have the 100g pouches. I noticed yesterday at the vets that they only had 85g pouches in tuna & beef but had 100g in chicken but that will be gone soon too as they the size is changing to 85g. They weren't sure if the price has also dropped but will check. I'd rather the larger pouches as our boy is eating quite a bit at the moment. Unless they have changed the formula of the smaller pouches. I haven't compared feeding recommendations between the two sizes.

I had a look for reviews of Animed Direct and they seem to be a legitimate company: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=3236750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sarie and Mark - thank you for your experiences with the Semintra. Good idea about treats afterwards. Our boy is very food motivated so that should work with him too.
Natcat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Natcat »

Hello

I could open Jimmy's photo - what a lovely boy!! I didn't know acute kidney failure could be reversed so fingers crossed for you all. Sounds like he's improving :)

Natalie x
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

georgie girl wrote:As my sister mentioned last week we had two cats poisioned with antifreeze. The vet is certain of it. It was a few years ago now. Lysanda our old boy had never been a very hearty chap having survived cat flu when he was a few weeks old. Even after being on a drip for two days to flush him out he sadly had a fit, and died in my arms. Yowlee on the other hand although very poorly at the time, pulled through and I'm convinced it is partly because he's such a big boy. It gave him reserves that Lysanda just didn't have. He is now on Royal Canin Renal food and is thriving on it
The whole anti freeze thing scares me. I have heard of a few cruelty cases involving it. There I actually a petition I jut signed for it https://www.change.org/p/uk-eu-parliame ... re_receipt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Batfink wrote:Hi Joanne,

I'm sorry to read you are going through this too. I'm currently going through similar with my boy who was diagnosed last week. We don't know if it was a toxin or crept up on him as he is only 7 but did have some illness before hand that could indicate chronic rather than acute. There is also a possibility that the metacam that the vet gave him earlier in the day before he was found really unwell made it worse or even caused the kidney damage. I found him in a bad way in a neighbours shed and rushed him to the vets. He was on a drip for 3 days and is now home but not himself. He is on Royal Canin Renal diet (been told to avoid tuna flavour - any type of tuna food due to the Mercury levels & also they can stop eating other types, almost getting addicted to tuna) and Fortekor. This is the standard treatment in the UK. However, I joined a support group recommended via this forum and have been told there is more to try. So we have an appointment at the vets later to possibly change his medication to something which was actually recommended in the article my own vets gave me. Does yours have high blood pressure? It's common with kidney problems but can be controlled which in turns helps stop the kidney damage getting worse.

This is the main information site: http://www.felinecrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the forums here: http://www.felinecrf.org/tanyas_support_group.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The users all have cats going through similar and are friendly and offer advice readily. It is primarily American but the treatments are the same and there are also UK users that I've had replies from. It really helps if you have the results of all the tests that have been done (blood, urine, blood pressure etc) so people can advise you best. I've yet to get all ours from the vet as I only found the forum this weekend just gone, so am getting the results from the vets when I go later today.

Edited for spelling
Thank you for replying. So sorry to hear you are going through the same stuff:( I had no idea about the Tuna thing my vet just said if I was to feed him and meat or fish to make sure it was white for lower protein. I actually fed him applaws tuna today as he has become so fussy and he has eaten it.

I am actually not sure if he has high blood pressure. I assume not since they vet has not said?

Thanks for all the info I will surely check it all out=]
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

MarkB wrote:That's good. 100g isn't bad really - and at least it is in the right direction.

As for buying renal food. Most places charge pretty much the same, within £1 or so. There are a few online sellers that are all the same company. Pet-Supermarket, Medicanimal and a couple of others. I tend to avoid them as one of my orders took a week to arrive.

I find Viovet very reliable. Pets at Home also do prescription food now and surprisingly not much more expensive than other online sellers - so good if you can combine an order with regular cat food that is on offer.

One thing to bear in mind is that there are a couple of Royal Canin renal dry foods, so worth checking the code when you order. I think one is for early stages.
oh thanks I will check out that site=]