Cat sitter vs. Leaving them with my sister?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
zachandzoey
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Cat sitter vs. Leaving them with my sister?

Post by zachandzoey »

Hi all

We have two 7 month old kittens, a boy and a girl. This Christmas is the first time we will be away from them over a 2 week period.

I can either have a cat sitter come in everyday for an hour and look after them in their own home, or take up my sisters offer to leave the kittens with her and her husband so that in addition to being looked after they have some company (especially at bedtime when they like to cuddle).

Please advise on what is a better option? These are indoor cats and have never been anywhere except to the vet and back. Would leaving them at my sisters unsettle them? Or would leaving them alone with not much company be worse?

Look forward to your response
Christinajan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat sitter vs. Leaving them with my sister?

Post by Christinajan »

Hi
I'm no expert but I would say they would be better off left in their home environment, as this is their territory and they have scent marked their territory so it is familiar to them and that is more important to a cat than the humans they are with - sorry to say that! (I saw a program on studying cats in this type of instance). As for company they have each other so they will be fine, cats are normally solitary creatures anyway. Do you have a neighbour you can trust to come in instead? That's what I used to do, till I moved recently. I hope this helps.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

I would leave them in their own environment and try and get someone to see them a few times a day if possible?
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

Wish I lived beside you , I'd do it in a heartbeat xxx
zachandzoey
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by zachandzoey »

Thanks all - I think that's probably the right thing! Oh how I'll worry either way :(
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Can your relatives come and stay at your house while you're away? Kind of a holiday for them too? That would be the best of both worlds for the kittens!