Quick question regarding toileting & Metacam

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Quick question regarding toileting & Metacam

Post by Shelly and Dora »

I fear we Mummys may be in for trouble on Dashings.... But here goes!

Just over 5 weeks ago I started reducing Dora's Metacam intake. I initially reduced the dosage to 2/3rds body weight. That seemed absolutely fine so I reduced to 1/3rd dosage just over 2 weeks ago.

I'm very, very pleased to say that she is still racing around like a mad thing and there are absolutely no signs of any issues/discomfort, other than just one side of her back end where its clear that she finds it slightly more difficult to wash as I've noticed a VERY tiny amount of little clumps. My thoughts are if she's a happy girl doing all the normal things and being the crazy, loving, playful girl that I love so much, then if reducing the Metacam simply means I need to brush that area once a week (she hates being brushed), then that's a small price to pay!

I do appreciate that there will be times when I need to increase the dose again but like my vet said 'I know her best & I know when she's not herself'.

Anyway.... The point of my thread is this... In the last few days I've noticed that her poo is a slightly different colour to normal. Same consistency, regularity, smell (sorry!! But you all know where I'm coming from!!!), however parts of it (apologies again....) are a slightly different colour.

Do you think it could be as a result of the reduction in medication? There's been no other changes in food etc so the Metacam reduction is the only 'change' she's had.

Thanks in advance.

Shelly
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Quick question regarding toileting & Metacam

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Shelly and Dora. I'm not experienced with this I'm afraid. But I totally agree with your thoughts on reducing Dora's dosage. You've done well so far. You do know your little girl best and it sounds like she is not suffering any negative effects from the reduction of metacam. If it doesn't bother her or you about the little clumps you've found and she isn't distressed by it then I also think it is a small price to pay. The smallest dosage she can be on and yet still be the active fun loving girl is probably the best way to go. But I don't have much experience. Don't know if the reduction of metacam is affecting her bowel movements (you're in for some trouble I can tell you :) ) but it does sound like it. Unless there's any little extra treats she's been having that she's not normally used to. Hopefully you will get far more experienced owners on here who will be able to advise you. Sending fusses to your little girl and big HUG to you xxx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Shelly

Just to add that Pepsi's poo does not appear to be affected one way or other by Metacam, but I'm still not sure whether to withhold Edgar's metacam because his poo is still quite soft. At the moment I've gone back to giving it to him, because the idea is that he needs it for his severe gum infection. Lou is not on Metacam, thank goodness, but her poo has been softer recently too so it may be the cystease or she may even have eaten some of Edgar's food, but I doubt that as she eats so little she isn't into left overs. Not sure that really adds anything to your post, but I wasn't able to post much over the weekend and I have only just come across your post. XX
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I find parts of a poo look different sometimes because of fur in it - and the milder weather has increased moulting - in my house anyway - so could this be the cause with Dora's deposits?
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your replies. I must admit I wondered if it could be a fur related thing so much to Dora's indignation we have just had a 25 minute brushing session. She was actually being quite good about it and even semi laid down at one point - despite the constant tail swishing! However, she has just clearly told me that she has definitely had enough! She's a funny girl, she puts her teeth around the hand that has the brush in it - never ever puts any pressure on but this is her way if saying 'that's it Mummy'. She only ever does it when we're having a grooming session so I secretly (don't tell her) rather like the fact that she knows her own mind & sticks up for what she believes in!!!!

Her movements seem to be fairly normal in colour again but obviously being an over obsessive Mummy I will continue to poke, prod & generally inspect the deposit!