Giving pills to cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AnneD
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Giving pills to cat

Post by AnneD »

I have to give my fur baby an anti-biotic each day and I've tried everything, does anyone know any secret ways to get the cat to take the pill.
I've tried putting it in her mouth and rubbing her throat to make her swallow, but she has a secret place where she keeps it and then spits it out, tried crushing it and putting in her wet and dry food, tried wrapping it in chicken, tried a pill popper (useless).
I've seen something called Vivitreats where you mould it around the pill, but can only find these for dogs!

help, help, help, stressed cat and stressed owner :-(
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Giving pills to cat

Post by sarie »

Hey Anne.. I'm guessing if you're giving antibiotics then you probably don't have the time to wait but you can get a product called "Pill Pockets" on amazon for kitties.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenies-Feline ... ll+pockets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get Salmon flavoured ones too I believe. I tried these with my cat Harv and he unfortunately didn't like the pocket even without a pill in so it was no good for me but my other cat Clive goes nuts for them and hoovers them up so they work well for him.

My other solution is these - Goodgirl Catnip Drops
http://images.mysupermarket.co.uk/Produ ... 40.jpg?v=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can buy the 50g bags in ASDA, no other supermarkets sell them so don't waste your time looking :) Both of my cats go mental for these things.. they're just like little milk treats but they're flavoured with catnip. Because of the consistency of them they're a bit like chocolate so easy to mould with warm hands. Alternatively, I sometimes spread out a few on a piece of kitchen roll and microwave them for 20 seconds to make them a bit more flexible.

3 of these catnip drops moulded into a ball work perfectly. I mould them around the tablet and make a little ball. After a couple of minutes it hardens up and as the catnip treat is a similar consistency to the tablet the cats eat it without realising. The tablets need to be quite small for this trick to work as otherwise the cat will chew the catnip treat and spit the tablet out so if the pills are big then use a sharp knife and cut the pill into smaller pieces and hide each piece with this technique. These catnip drops aren't that unhealthy and as a short term solution I wouldn't worry about how many catnip drops you have to use to get her to take the tablets :)
When I first started out I'd give my cats a couple of normal catnip treats first so they'd get a taste for them and then they'd take the tablet-treat without question. Harvey is so used to the routine now he just hoovers up the tablet-treat now without me having to start him off with normal treats :)

Other tricks.. cats can taste bitter things but they can't taste anything sweet. Usually if you crush a tablet the bitter taste is what puts your cat off. You can crush a tablet and then offset the bitter flavour by mixing it with a little bit of honey - this will mask the bitterness completely. You can then mix it in with a tiny dollop of something really tasty like cream. Again, this isn't a good long term solution but if it's just a course of antibiotics or a one off tablet then it works like a charm.

My cat Harvey has to take medication daily and he's an absolute nightmare to pill. Giving him a tablet by force is completely out of the question and it wouldn't be fair to him to do it daily so I've had to learn a few tricks. The catnip drops trick is the one I use with him as I can prepare his daily medication at the start of the week and he just hoovers it up on a morning without question :)

One final tip.. this depends on the kitty... my cat Harvey likes fuss when he's eating treats. If he's feeling a bit off and is turning his nose up at his tablet-treat then I usually give him a bit of fuss and get him purring and then offer it to him again. Usually the improvement in his mood is enough to get him to eat it.

Best of luck! :)

P.S. the key I've found to hiding a tablet in food is to make the tablet small. If the tablet is too big and your cat has to chew the food you've hidden it in then they'll detect the tablet and spit it out. If you're using big tablets, make them smaller by cutting them into pieces. Also.. cooked chicken isn't great for hiding tablets because it's crumbly and as the cat eats the chicken will fall away from the tablet. Raw chicken is much better if your cat likes it. Harvey loves raw chicken so in the past I've used a cube of raw chicken and poked a hole in it with the tip of a sharp knife. I then buried the tiny bits of tablet as deep into the middle as possible. This also worked well for me but it was too expensive and time consuming to do as a long term thing so I moved onto the catnip drops :)
Last edited by sarie on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnneD
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by AnneD »

sarie wrote:Hey Anne.. I'm guessing if you're giving antibiotics then you probably don't have the time to wait but you can get a product called "Pill Pockets" on amazon for kitties.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenies-Feline ... ll+pockets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get Salmon flavoured ones too I believe. I tried these with my cat Harv and he unfortunately didn't like the pocket even without a pill in so it was no good for me but my other cat Clive goes nuts for them and hoovers them up so they work well for him.

My other solution is these - Goodgirl Catnip Drops
http://images.mysupermarket.co.uk/Produ ... 40.jpg?v=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can buy the 50g bags in ASDA, no other supermarkets sell them so don't waste your time looking :) Both of my cats go mental for these things.. they're just like little milk treats but they're flavoured with catnip. Because of the consistency of them they're a bit like chocolate so easy to mould with warm hands. Alternatively, I sometimes spread out a few on a piece of kitchen roll and microwave them for 20 seconds to make them a bit more flexible.

3 of these catnip drops moulded into a ball work perfectly. I mould them around the tablet and make a little ball. After a couple of minutes it hardens up and as the catnip treat is a similar consistency to the tablet the cats eat it without realising. The tablets need to be quite small for this trick to work as otherwise the cat will chew the catnip treat and spit the tablet out so if the pills are big then use a sharp knife and cut the pill into smaller pieces and hide each piece with this technique. These catnip drops aren't that unhealthy and as a short term solution I wouldn't worry about how many catnip drops you have to use to get her to take the tablets :)

Other tricks.. cats can taste bitter things but they can't taste anything sweet. Usually if you crush a tablet the bitter taste is what puts your cat off. You can crush a tablet and then offset the bitter flavour by mixing it with a little bit of honey - this will mask the bitterness completely. You can then mix it in with a tiny dollop of something really tasty like cream. Again, this isn't a good long term solution but if it's just a course of antibiotics or a one off tablet then it works like a charm.

My cat Harvey has to take medication daily and he's an absolute nightmare to pill. Giving him a tablet by force is completely out of the question and it wouldn't be fair to him to do it daily so I've had to learn a few tricks. The catnip drops trick is the one I use with him as I can prepare his daily medication at the start of the week and he just hoovers it up on a morning without question :)

Best of luck! :)

Thanks Sarie,
This is very helpful I'll definitely try the catnip drops and mixing it with something sweet. :-)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Hehe good luck, I hope you find something that works. There's a trick for every kitty, it's just a pain finding it out :)
I never thought I'd solve the issue with Harvey but as I was forced to find a solution I persevered and it paid off. I've tried every trick in the book though hehe.

Let us know how you get on :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

try keeping the abs in the fridge as well as the other suggestions - being cold does apparently take some of the bitterness off - I got Antirobe into a very reluctant cat by crushing and mixing it with tuna, and then leaving the result for several hours in the fridge, and he did eat it then
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

The only way is to be more determined than they are... When you put the pill in their mouth make sure it's far back so their reflex is to swallow, if you've got a little syringe squirt some water into the mouth straight after and it will go down.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I've been pilling Lily for years with 3 different pills, and she's completely oblivious to it! I use Webbox sticks (available from pet shops and most supermarkets). Break of a piece about 1.5 cm long, cut a little slot in the middle, poke in the pill, give to cat. Job done.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

When Bob was on AB's we would crush the tablets between 2 spoons then mix the powder with a tiny bit of evap. milk. He licked the bowl clean!

Willow has her Metacam in a blob of icecream (which she Loves!) I know it is not ideal. But we reckon it's that or scraping the cat off the ceiling and going to A&E for stitches! :lol:
AnneD
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by AnneD »

Sarie
I went to Asda all excited that I was going to get a remedy only to find they didn't have any :roll: but I saw some chicken sticks by Whiskas which felt soft so i bought these. I managed to get the pill inside and hey presto she ate it without even knowing. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke, but thanks for the inspiration :D

Anne
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Hahaha loving all the different remedies people use to avoid being dismembered by their furries.

I'm so pleased you've found a trick that works Anne! There's always a way for every kitty - as I discovered, there's no reason to resort to brute force as it just stresses everyone out. Here's to hoping it wasn't a fluke! I felt pretty nervous after my initial success with Harvey but it's been nearly 3 months now and he's still oblivious :)
He always gets one over on me so I feel quite smug that I've managed to trick him for once! :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I had a lot of success with Webbox - I used to put the pill in the third piece I offered, to lull Trigger into a false sense of security, and always gave another undoctored piece to finish up so he didn't get put off - I found it helped to give the pieces with him sitting on the ground and me on the sofa, as that way his face was raised and the Webbox bits went easily into his eager mouth

Metacam I mix with a bit of Gourmet pate, with no bother - my vet says she's never known any cat refuse Metacam - and Tiffany has had a daily Cystease sprinkled into the same pate for years now, and always eats it
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Kay wrote:Metacam I mix with a bit of Gourmet pate
I'll have to try that. Tried it in her usual food, but Willow usually leaves some. If I mix it with a blob of icecream it works a treat - clean plate and I know she is the only one being dosed! :D

All mine are wise to tablets in treats. It doesn't matter how I try, they know which one has the pill, cunning little divils :roll:
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Harvey goes nuts for Metacam and Loxicom... he'll come running when he hears me open the box.. I made a short video as his eagerness was so funny haha :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRfbGKhrVI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess it must taste nice if cats rarely refuse it!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Actually I don't know why we bother with the webbox for Lily. If they drop out, she just eats the pill off the floor!.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

lilynmitz wrote:Actually I don't know why we bother with the webbox for Lily. If they drop out, she just eats the pill off the floor!.
Oh stop showing off! :lol: :lol:
AnneD
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by AnneD »

sarie wrote:Harvey goes nuts for Metacam and Loxicom... he'll come running when he hears me open the box.. I made a short video as his eagerness was so funny haha :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRfbGKhrVI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess it must taste nice if cats rarely refuse it!

love the video.
2 pills down, fingers still firmly crossed :-)
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

When my Kitten had to have a daily BP pill I used to give it to her in a small lump of Dairylea cheese which she loved. With Denver, I put a tiny amount of his pouch food down with any pill needed to be taken buried in it - and hope he's hungry!

For a good laugh look up "How to give a cat a pill - funny edition" online - its so true!