FIRST TRIP OUTSIDE - ADVICE PLEASE !!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

FIRST TRIP OUTSIDE - ADVICE PLEASE !!!!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hello again....it's coming up to that time, when Barney is crying to go outside, he has never ventured outside since we had him last October. Our garden is very large and enclosed with no main roads anywhere within distance as it's quite rural, we have neighbours with cats, though they don't come into the garden because of Fi (Our soft Samoyed dog!) though she would never hurt them. So if any of you lovely people can help me yet again on firstly, the best safety collar to buy for him and secondly any tips on what to do on his first trip outside...I have had lots of tips from the Blue Cross where we adopted him from, but would appreciate some personal stories....thank you...x :? :(
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: FIRST TRIP OUTSIDE - ADVICE PLEASE !!!!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Morning Julie and Barney. I'm sure you'll get all the advice you need on here. It's an exciting time for you all and just shows how much progress Barney has made.

Absolutely love his picture. He really is gorgeous. Thanks for putting it as your avatar so I can smile every time I see it. Give that tummy of his a tickle from me xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol.....yes, he has come along so well the last few months, from being terribly afraid to even venture near your lap, afraid to jump onto the bed and terrified of raised male voices on the TV, he now never leaves our side, is a constant fusspot lap cat and as I speak, is sleeping alongside my hubby in bed, snoring away (hubby working last night !!)...so all in all he is a happy boy......just dreading this next step though !

Took me an age to work out how to resize his pic for the Avatar !!!! :roll:

Hope Fluffy continuing to improve ......x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I'm the same with resizing pics. You did well then :) . The result was worth the effort.

I keep forgetting about how scared he was at first. Yes he has overcome so much. Glad he's got company while he's sleeping today!!

I know this next step is a big one but with the right advice it will be an enjoyable one xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Not sure if it's something to do with the settings on the new site, but I always received lots of replies within a short space of time of posting a problem, either weekday or weekend on the old forum, ....now though lots of people showing as viewed. no one replies with help.......must admit it has made me feel a little bit despondent today........ :cry:
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Other than Carol HRH Fluffy I might add....bless you for taking the time to answer.........x
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Scout Storm »

Hi I have just joined this forum, I have been lurking for a long time. When I got 2 rescue cats in 2012, I kept them in for about 6 months before letting them out. At first they were scared and only stayed out about a minute before running back inside. I let them out before being fed and stayed with them in the garden talking to them to make sure they stayed close by. The first few outings were only short, it was a couple of weeks before I let them out by themselves. Hope this helps. 8-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

When I first let my lot out, and again when we recently moved, I first let them out about ten minutes before dinner time, went out with them, and then called them in for dinner. They all came back in with me that first day, but over the next few days they reacted differently - Daz liked to stay with me at first, Peaches and Grumpy Nellie liked to go out exploring, Basil still never goes far from the house, Minne likes to do the full round of the garden (and did from day 1) and Merrick will go out now, but only for about 15 minutes at a time. The most important thing is that they recognise the way back in so they can run for home if something scares them - so keep letting him out just before food for a few days so he gets used to the way back home.

Good luck, and fusses to the gorgeous Barney! :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all.....it will be a worrying first time, as poor fella can't jump high and I don't want him to feel 'spooked' as such, and feels he can't jump anywhere, I will follow all your ideas and hope to post that he comes running back in, the patio doors will remain open !!....xx