Litter trays

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Litter trays

Post by Fran_ki »

Hiya friends
A wee querie you might be able to give me your opinion on.
I've had a cat since a child, our house was never without one .
My partner and I had our wee kitten last year, unfortunately our darling Kenzie passed a few weeks ago. Devastated is not the word :(
We are getting a little kitten in January ( who I like to think of as Kenzie's brother even tho it won't actually be ) he's a BSH like Kenzie was.
But we've decided to get him a wee partner in crime so around the SS e time we get him we're hoping to get a kitten same (ish) age from cats protection or SPCA.
I've never had 2 cats at the same but always read if yu have each cat should have its own litter tray??
This is fine but just looking for advice about it from multiple cat / kitten owners.
Our cats will be indoor cats.
Thanks so much xxxx
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Litter trays

Post by Willowgill »

Aw good luck with your new babies when you get them and so sorry about your recent loss - it's very hard and like you we have never been without a cat(s) for the last 30 years. If you are getting kittens at the same time you probably shouldn't have too many problems with litter trays - you definitely need one for each of them to start with and possibly might need another if you find inappropriate toiletting elsewhere. I currently have 4 as one of mine was feral and just wouldn't share the tray with Maxie - he would insist on using all of them so it did become a bit of an issue. We lost Max last week so now Daph has the choice of all 4 as Alfie always toilets outside. So far she's favouring one in the conservatory for wees and one in the passage for poos :-) I'm sure yours will be just fine.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

I have 3 cats and 2 litter trays. Jimmy is not fussy and will pee anywhere :lol: Erik I have never seen use a litter tray and Ted, well he tends to stick to a certain one.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

The general advice always seems to be one for each cat and one extra, but I have four cats and two trays. Most of mine go outside and only use the trays occasionally, mainly at night as I lock them in every night.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I have 2 trays, side by side, for two cats, with different types of litter in them, and both wee in one and poop in the other, so it would seem the kind of litter matters more to them than sharing
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

Aww thank all so much for replying and for your good advice.
Max must be such a loss Willow . It's very difficult isn't it. Thinking about yu :cry:
After reading all of your replies I'm more knowledgable now and will make sure I stock up on my tray liners and litter.
Am looking forward to having a ball/s of fur in the house again in January xxx
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

I have 4 cats including two kittens all are in door cats. I have 3 litter trays which are cleaned regulary and which all cats use. In fact the two kittens sometimes use the same one similtaneously.
Just see how they go . Start with two and alter as necesary . As they are kittens they should dettle to what ever litter you use but you can always ask the rescue which litter they use.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We live in a very small bungalow with a very large garden. I refuse to have a litter tray in the kitchen, (yuk) there is nowhere in the lounge (again, yuk). The bedrooms are out of the question. That leaves the bathroom and hall (and the whole of the Fermanagh countryside!)

Our 5 share 2 trays. Occasionally, when I don't clean them out as often as she likes, Purdy will use the bath - I suppose it could be worse. :?

What I can't understand is the number of times they will take a leisurely stroll around the garden, then come in to use the trays. :roll:

Good luck with the kitties in January. Keep in touch - and tell us all about them!
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

I have two trays shared between three cats. They are located on top of a small tarpaulin in a corner of the dining room which is shielded from the rest of the room by the back of the table. the tarp is because they tend to spread the litter around a bit, and I can shake it up into a pile.
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

Lol Bobbys girl! Your wee cats like to keep a clean garden bless them :P
Our semi d'état hed is small but beside the kitchen there's a wee sort of porch area, they'll be able to roam the house after they're settled but the trays will sit within the porch area .
Will DEFINATELY bore you all with updates and a photo in January . Lol
That sounds good Mr frisky and keeps everything tidy for you :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I have 4 cats, 2 of which are indoor only. I have 3 indoor litter trays, 1 outdoor tray and my neighbours garden... I did have more indoor trays but they weren't getting used so I removed one of them. I have a covered one in the kitchen which Tig and Pip use, one in the downstairs cloakroom which Pip and Noodle use, one in the upstairs bathroom which Hector uses, the outdoor tray is used by Pip and Noodle and Noodle also uses the neighbours gardens!
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Fran_ki »

LOL Greenkitty , you must have a wee hive of industry with all your wee furballs moving from tray to outside to tray to neighbours garden to tray hee hee. You made me smile :lol: