Pregnancy?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
betht
New Cat Chatter

Pregnancy?

Post by betht »

Hi!

I'm having a wee problem at the minute and I'm hoping to get some answers in time. I'm assuming I won't but I'll try anyway.

We've ended up sort of rescuing 5 cats from a dodgy owner from down the round (1 older boy and a mother with an assumed son and 2 kittens that are now 1) and all of them are spayed/neutered apart from the young girl. We were getting round to it but time and money hasn't permitted us so far because we also look after a lot of strays.
Around August her brother was neutered and just after that she started acting like she was ready to mate but as she is an indoor cat we weren't too concerned. There is a stray cat that comes in every so often but he never seemed interested in her and it was rare he stayed in overnight or for too long.

Anway, recently her stomach has gotten bigger and she has got prominent nipples and were just assuming it was because she was female and maybe something to do with her eating. Nothing too concerning. At about 8pm my sister spotted some liquid on the settee and later we noticed it was on the cushion as well and she was covered in wet stuff. It was all over her and there was gooey stuff on her tail. I've seen a few cat births before so I know what to expect and I noticed her being more affectionate and she kept constantly cleaning down there. She was meowing a lot and she tried to go into the towel cupboard upstairs but there was no way she could give birth there. She was losing some sort of liquid and it went like that for a couple of hours and now she's suddenly stopped? For almost two hours she's been behaving as normal and there's been no liquid and she's only cleaned herself a few times. She's been eating and playing and jumping around and she's been in the litter tray and she's sat down a few times.

I think I've given more than enough information and I hope somebody can get to me soon but does anybody know what could be happening? The births I've seen before have been nothing like this and I'm a bit confused. I know she should have been spayed earlier!

Thanks.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Pregnancy?

Post by Joanne_ »

betht wrote:Hi!

I'm having a wee problem at the minute and I'm hoping to get some answers in time. I'm assuming I won't but I'll try anyway.

We've ended up sort of rescuing 5 cats from a dodgy owner from down the round (1 older boy and a mother with an assumed son and 2 kittens that are now 1) and all of them are spayed/neutered apart from the young girl. We were getting round to it but time and money hasn't permitted us so far because we also look after a lot of strays.
Around August her brother was neutered and just after that she started acting like she was ready to mate but as she is an indoor cat we weren't too concerned. There is a stray cat that comes in every so often but he never seemed interested in her and it was rare he stayed in overnight or for too long.

Anway, recently her stomach has gotten bigger and she has got prominent nipples and were just assuming it was because she was female and maybe something to do with her eating. Nothing too concerning. At about 8pm my sister spotted some liquid on the settee and later we noticed it was on the cushion as well and she was covered in wet stuff. It was all over her and there was gooey stuff on her tail. I've seen a few cat births before so I know what to expect and I noticed her being more affectionate and she kept constantly cleaning down there. She was meowing a lot and she tried to go into the towel cupboard upstairs but there was no way she could give birth there. She was losing some sort of liquid and it went like that for a couple of hours and now she's suddenly stopped? For almost two hours she's been behaving as normal and there's been no liquid and she's only cleaned herself a few times. She's been eating and playing and jumping around and she's been in the litter tray and she's sat down a few times.

I think I've given more than enough information and I hope somebody can get to me soon but does anybody know what could be happening? The births I've seen before have been nothing like this and I'm a bit confused. I know she should have been spayed earlier!

Thanks.
No idea but if I was you I would maybe ring a vet and ask if this is normal?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've no experience either, I'm afraid, but I think you should speak to a vet as well. Hope she's OK.
betht
New Cat Chatter

Post by betht »

Turns out she was in labour and she had one little kitten at 4am.

We're glad it's only one cause it's a bit easier to deal with.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Well at least you know now what was going on and we have all learnt something.

Out of curiosity, where did she have the kitten? I hope mother and baby are both well.
betht
New Cat Chatter

Post by betht »

From looking I think she was just in the first stages of labour when I posted but apparently the discharge was normal but not so common so that's why I'd never seen it before.

Forgot to mention in the first post that I did find a box for her but the self appointed cat leader of the household likes to sleep in there so I knew she wouldn't be totally keen. I think that's why she wanted to go into the towel cupboard but all it really is is a small wooden shelf. I stuffed the box with old pyjamas and clothes of mine in hoping she'd feel a bit more at ease and I guess eventually she found her way in!
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

I remember one of ours that decided that she wanted to have kittens under the floorboards in our airing cupboard. Luckily we discovered her checking it out in time and managed to lock the cupboard so she had them under a chest of drawers instead...(Good job too as one of the litter wouldn't have survived without help).

How is the new little arrival....
betht
New Cat Chatter

Post by betht »

Yeah I was worried she was just about to have them right there so I was desperately throwing all the towels out and trying to grab Holly without hurting her! It was no place to birth.

She's fine. Very big! Holly has taken to being a mother really well and she always looks really proud! She's a bit of an attention seeker anyway so she likes to shout us over to have a look.