Introducing my Cat to the outside

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sphere9
New Cat Chatter

Introducing my Cat to the outside

Post by sphere9 »

I have a 2 year old cat that I have inherited from my daughter. She has just had her second litter, they've gone and she's recovered from being spayed.

I now want to get her used to going outside as I have kept her inside for the last few months prior to her spay. I have a cat flap. There are several cats in the neighbourhood.

On saturday I let her out for half an hour or so and stood with her. She encountered 3 cats on separate occasions. For one cat, she growled, hissed and chased it away. For the others, she growled and hissed and they just ignored her. My daughter shoo-ed them off.

I'm not sure if i should be worried about her - I guess they'll work things out with each other?

I went out with her on sunday for 20 minutes or so and she was hyper alert - looking for cats I presume. There were no cats that day.

Today she was sitting on the window sill and saw a cat near the flat and she started hissing at it. It ran away when I went over, moved the curtain and looked out of the window.

What does it mean if she hisses and mews and the cats ignore her? Does it mean she will have trouble and stress?

I was going to show her the cat flap this weekend and open it for her so she can come and go. Do you think that's a good idea? Or should i continue to find times when I can open the door and be with her outside? Advice appreciated.

I should add that I do not have an private garden. Only a front garden which is not enclosed.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing my Cat to the outside

Post by AhmedUK »

I am afraid I do not know the answer but I am sure someone will be able to give you some advice when they get a moment.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

hissing at other cats is not uncommon, and if they don't take much notice of her it means she probably won't get into any fights

cats living within the same territory usually work out among themselves whose patch is whose, but unneutered toms can be very territorial, so hopefully all the cats she encounters will be spayed/neutered

before you give her total freedom I'd let her out and watch through the window and few times, and make sure she can get back through the cat flap in a hurry if something spooks her - you might want to lock the flap when it's dark, too, because it's then most fights take place, and most RTAs
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyCatKate »

Don't worry about hissing. She is protecting her turf! I would ease into it before giving her complete freedom. I, myself, prefer to walk my cats when I am outside. I have my whole life. I don't fee safe letting them go out on their own. We have hawks in the area, dogs that roam yards, no thanks!

Walk the yard with her a few times. Make sure she knows all the smells and feels safe. You don't want something to scare her and keep her from coming home.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others, keep an eye on her at first and make sure that she knows the way back in to home and safety. I always let mine out just before feeding time at first so they come almost straight back in the first few times.

There will be a bit of hissing and growling as she introduces herself to the neighbourhood, but it should settle down. Personally, I would only let her out when you are around for a while, just in case.

I lock my gang in at night too.

Good luck!