More X-rays for kitty ??

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

More X-rays for kitty ??

Post by Nettybags »

Hello again ,
I had Kitty at the vets to have her teeth taken out while she was under anasethic they gave her an X-ray to check lungs after her lung infection that happened after taking tramodol .
For anyone that doesn't know kitty ( I am a bit of a pest on this site ) she is 12 and really healthy until I took her to vets for a sprained leg . They gave her tramodol and we struggled to get it down her . After 3 days she developed breathing problems so bad she had to be put in oxygen tent and kept in .
She had two X-rays first showing bad crackly lungs , the second showing small bit still with a bit that hadn't cleared up .
Yesterday's X-ray showed still the same no bigger no smaller ... Vet said doesn't look like tumour and with kitty being so well in herself to monitor her . Having an X-ray in another four months .
I know I sound mad but can't stop crying , can't sleep . Keep thinking the worst ( have had a hubby and two sisters with cancer ) . Unlike kitty !! Fast asleep snoring her head off ... And even manage a bowl of tuna .
She has no difficulty breathing and has always snored got buck teeth .
Anyway point of my long ramble was to say has anyone had a cat that has had damage after infection or reaction to drugs ? My husband thinks maybe it's always been like that and we have found it by fluke
Would really appreciate any advice ...
Netty x
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: More X-rays for kitty ??

Post by KittyCatKate »

I have seen this happen quite a few times. Sometimes it was the drugs (bad reaction) other times, it was damage that was there, but made worse from medication. I know how you feel. My now 10 year old was fine until he got his first shots. In spite working for a vet, he never got his second round. I believe to this day he had a bad reaction. Came down with pancreatitis at age 1 and a half and nearly died.

I believe he has a corn allergy and something in the first set of vaccines triggered it.

Also, my first cat died when I was 18 and I blame flea medication. So me and the medical world don't exactly hold hands.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Hi kittycatkate ,
It does seem to me that every time I take my cat to vets they come home worse ... Tom went in for sickness and then went into renal failure after drugs nearly lost him . Now this with kitty her sprain to be given tramodol which we had to force down her and within two days she was in oxygen tent .
I know tramodol can cause respiratory problems now I've looked into it but vet said that's rare ..
I keep watching her but she's fine breathing normally, not coughing just looking at me as if to say get lost or feed me ... She is really loving the chicken and tuna she's been getting .. And seems back to her normal self . My husband is convinced its a reaction from drug of damage from the bad infection .
My cats are both indoor only so I really don't treat them with anything except the three yearly booster which I don't like doing now . I'm so annoyed with myself that I gave her tramodol and didn't just stick to my guns and say no I want metacam . She has had that before no reaction and can put on food so no stress putting it in her mouth . She used to froth at mouth when I gave tramodol then vet said if phelm went into lungs that could of caused infection .
Thank you for taking time to reply its good to hear other peoples experiences .
I grew up with a household of cats and I often think how little they went to vets yet lived to a great old age .
My husband thinks we should take her back to make sure her gums have healed and leave her alone while she's well , eating and in great condition ( her coat is so silky and shining )
She is fast asleep next to me and snoring so loud !!
KittyCatKate
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KittyCatKate »

Nettybags wrote:Hi kittycatkate ,
It does seem to me that every time I take my cat to vets they come home worse ... Tom went in for sickness and then went into renal failure after drugs nearly lost him . Now this with kitty her sprain to be given tramodol which we had to force down her and within two days she was in oxygen tent .
I know tramodol can cause respiratory problems now I've looked into it but vet said that's rare ..
I keep watching her but she's fine breathing normally, not coughing just looking at me as if to say get lost or feed me ... She is really loving the chicken and tuna she's been getting .. And seems back to her normal self . My husband is convinced its a reaction from drug of damage from the bad infection .
My cats are both indoor only so I really don't treat them with anything except the three yearly booster which I don't like doing now . I'm so annoyed with myself that I gave her tramodol and didn't just stick to my guns and say no I want metacam . She has had that before no reaction and can put on food so no stress putting it in her mouth . She used to froth at mouth when I gave tramodol then vet said if phelm went into lungs that could of caused infection .
Thank you for taking time to reply its good to hear other peoples experiences .
I grew up with a household of cats and I often think how little they went to vets yet lived to a great old age .
My husband thinks we should take her back to make sure her gums have healed and leave her alone while she's well , eating and in great condition ( her coat is so silky and shining )
She is fast asleep next to me and snoring so loud !!
Tramodol is over used in most pet clinics. I can't tell you how many prescriptions I filled for the stuff. A lot of pets do have bad reactions, and most of which go unnoticed to us because they can say "Hey! My stomach feels weird!" or "My legs/paws feel funny!". They can also develop internal rashes, just like we do from food allergies. My cat hasn't been to the vet since his second experience with pancreatitis when he was 5.

I am a firm believer that all doctors have their place, but only when it comes to emergencies. I treat my cats like I treat myself; with natural remedies and diet changes. I am sorry you and your kitty are going through this. I know how heart breaking it can be to see a cat sick.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

We are back to vets on Monday for her gums to be checked and hopefully won't be back there for four months until they want to X-ray her again .
If my hubby will take her back in four months !! At the moment he said if she's well , eating and happy then she doesn't need to go back .
I must admit I am going to try and find out about more natural remedies for her arthritis any tips ?

Thank you
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've no experience of Tramadol, but I have had cats with arthitis problems. The current one is doing well on Metacam.

I have used heated beds for my arthritic cats, and all have loved them - I'm sure they help.

Fusses to Kitty. I know you're worried, but she sounds like she's doing pretty well! xx
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Thank you crewella ,
I sometimes think I shouldn't have cats as I get so upset at even the thought of them being ill .
She really seems well eating like always . Just being a diva going between chicken , tuna and cat food My husband cooked her cod loins today and she gave him such a dirty look she wanted chicken !
Got to be careful she is a greedy cat .

Xx