Help please - cat with cage phobia

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
CarterUSM
New Cat Chatter

Help please - cat with cage phobia

Post by CarterUSM »

Hi

We have a semi-feral cat (she lives outside) who is about 18 months old, who we desperately need to get to the vet to attend to her injured leg, but who is unfortunately very reluctant to go into a cage. We think her fear of cages dates from the time she went missing when she was just 3 months old, and we had to manhandle her into a cage to take her back home.

Our current tactic is to try and entice her into the cage with some food, but she seems to have a sixth sense as to when we are about to close the cage door on her, and invariably she makes a run for it!

Is anyone aware of a quick action tranquiliser which is readily available from veterinary surgeons? Alternatively, is there any natural sedative on the market which will help to calm her nerves?

In addition – does anyone know of any form of pet carrier on the market which is exceptionally large, and/or has a form of mesh which gives the impression from within of being light, airy and not claustrophobic?

Otherwise – are there any other tried and tested tactics for trying to get cats into a cage?

All replies will be gratefully received.

Very many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Help please - cat with cage phobia

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi, I don't have personal experience of this, but there are some on this site who do and hopefully they'll be a long soon. I think many have borrowed traps from Cats Protection League, so you could make some enquiries there?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi, I would get in touch with a local rescue such as Cats Protection asap. I've contacted them for the loan of a trap and I would think they'd be best to advise if trapping is difficult as they have lots of experience. If they can't help try other local rescues. Best of luck.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Hi

I have had exactly the same situation with Daphne who was almost feral when she arrived in our lives 3 years ago having lived in my son's garden for several months. She desperately needed spaying so the only thing they could do was to contact the PDSA who managed to catch her with a loop and pole to cage her. My son said it was the most horrific thing he'd seen and having witnessed the vet having to do the same thing when we got her home I know what he meant. She is now totally traumatised by being captured and the vet in general and we had to have her sedated to have an abscess attended to last month which cost a fortune. As your cat is injured it looks like your only option is the short sharp shocking treatment which is what i have to use when I have to put Daph in her 'vet' carrier (we have a small dog cage which we take her to our weekend property in which is another story). The box I have has a lift up lid (someone made if for us over 20 years ago and it's still in use!) - this is much easier than trying to push a cat into a carrier but if that's your only option stand it on it's end and drop her in. Are you able to get her into the house - this will make it easier? A couple of hours before your vet appointment put the cage in a small enclosed room such as the bathroom where she can't escape or hide under furniture - don't let her see it. If you're able to handle her carry her in there - if not then subterfuge is the only remedy - food or play with her until she's in the room then shut the door. Give yourself plenty of time so you don't start to stress which only makes things worse. If/when you manage to get her in there you need a bath towel or small blanket - if it's one of her own that makes things a bit easier as she won't be quite so fazed. You then have to be firm and corner her then use the blanket to pick her up and deposit her unceremoniously in the carrier and get the lid shut as soon as she's in. She'll probably hiss and scratch so you need to be quick and firm. I also had to take a stray who lives in our garden to the vets to treat abcsesses on his head - the only way I managed that was to put his food out and pick him up as he was eating then drop him in the box. There are a variety of different carriers available in the pet shops including small top loading cages like the RSPCA use - whatever you use it's not easy but is doable eventually! Good luck and hope the injured leg isn't too serious.
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by brigidrynne »

I don't have experience with ferals and cannot offer any particular advice as to how to get your cat into a carrier. However, having tried a Calmivet (antihistamine) tranquiliser on one of my cats (who is good with carriers, but terrified of the vet) recently, I wouldn't recommend it. It took hours and hours to wear off and, during that time, poor Tiggy was quite disoriented and scared. Assuming you can catch the cat at all, I would recommend using a box with a lift off lid - most of the two part plastic carriers are easily unclipped. When we take our two to the vet, we leave them in the carrier and simply lift off the lid on the examination table for the vet to do his examination. Often, Tiggy will bury his head under the blanket ... in total denial while the vet pokes and prods. :lol: It is a far less traumatic experience for him than engaging in a tug of war, trying to get him in and out of the carrier.