Fleas - Frontline or Advantage or ...?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Fleas - Frontline or Advantage or ...?

Post by brigidrynne »

We're back in Ireland and the cats are delighted at being able to roam free again after 8 weeks or so of lounging wistfully on sunny window sills in our French market town. Soooo ... we no longer have to treat pets for ticks before entering the country, so they missed getting a dose of Frontline Combi from the vet and therefore I forgot to ask him for a prescription so that I could buy it online.

What are the best options for flea and tick prevention these days? What's the difference between the Frontline you can buy over the counter and Frontline Combi, which you get from the vet. Does the OTC version work or should I be getting a prescription from our local vet here?
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Fleas - Frontline or Advantage or ...?

Post by mr_frisky »

I use Advocate. Seems to be one of the more effective obnes. vets sell it.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Yes - just dosed all mine again with Advocate for fleas and worms although it doesn't cover tapeworm so have another tablet for that a week later
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

mr_frisky wrote:I use Advocate. Seems to be one of the more effective ones. vets sell it.
We also got Advocate from our vet for Comet, I gave him the dose in the morning, groomed him with a flea comb about 4-5 hours later, got quite a few fleas and eggs out and then groomed him again the day after and didn't find any fleas and only a few eggs. Two days after the first dose there was absolutely no sign of fleas on him!

The stuff clearly works! :D
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by brigidrynne »

Thanks, everybody. Sorry for not checking back for so long. I'll see if the local vet stocks Advocate, or if they'll give me a prescription.