poorly kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Carix
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

poorly kitten

Post by Carix »

There was a young stray who had been scrounging round a few houses in my area. She was really skinny and her fur wasn't in the best condition. I took her in but tried to get in touch with shelters to take her in because I already have 3 cats. They all get on ok but couldn't really afford another. No luck, they weren't interested and said there's nothing they could do. She was pregnant so I couldn't throw her out.She had some kittens, all perfect and healthy. Then yesterday I noticed one of them was really quiet and kept leaving the others, laying alone and has gone off food. They are a little over 5 week and eating solid food. I have been feeding her kitten milk out a syringe which is the only way she'll eat/drink anything. If I'm honest I can't afford what could be a set of expensive treatment. Any ideas?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: poorly kitten

Post by greenkitty »

Given that there are now kittens involved the rescues may reconsider, I would call them again. Do you have a Blue Cross or PDSA near you? The poorly kitten really needs to see a vet asap, could you take it and see if they'll treat it if you explain the situation to them?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, the kitten needs to see a vet asap, as they can go downhill frighteningly quickly at that young age. As Greenkitty says, try to find a vet who offers Blue Cross or PDSA service. Then try contacting the rescues again to see if they can take her in with her litter. Good luck - thank you for taking this poor little lass in. Do keep us posted.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Poor little soul - at that age it doesn't sound good and she needs to be seen quickly if you haven't already taken her. If you check out the PDSA they are supposed to help but it might be that as you've taken the mother in they will deem her to now be your cat as I found out a few weeks ago. Once you feed a stray and it comes back unfortunately the rescue places are so busy they are unable to help and I was told the only way the RSPCA can help is if the animal is sick - in this case you might be 'lucky'. They can grant a £60 voucher for vet care but you must arrange it with the RSCPCA themselves who will contact the vet. My son also managed to get the PDSA to take Daphne in and have her spayed before she came to live with us as she was living rough in his garden - they didn't have to pay for this as neutering is necessary to keep the population down. This might be another option for mum.
Carix
New Cat Chatter

Post by Carix »

I arranged to take her to the vet the morning after but I was too late. I sat nursing her for hours. I took her upstairs out the way of the other kittens who kept trying to play with her and she died within 2 hours. Phoned vets and they offered to do test to find out what it couldve been but I said no. The out come is still the same. I'm gutted and wish I noticed sooner. But I worked all weekend and they sleep a lot when they're young so its easy to miss but feel so sad that if I noticed before she might of survived. Keeping a close eye on the others and making sure they eat and drink their milk and dont leave them till they do.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Carix, this is so sad. I was really hoping that the little kitty would make it just long enough for vet intervention but sadly not. Sometimes, it is for the best though...the kitty was clearly very ill. How are the other four? Maybe it'd be best to get them all checked out to make sure that there is no sigh of illness in the surviving kitties? Also contact the RSPCA or PDSA as soon as kitties are old enough to get mummy kitty neutered!

Have you decided what you are going to do with mummy and kitties?
Carix
New Cat Chatter

Post by Carix »

I've got homes ready for a couple. The one that died had 3 people who wanted her. She was a tortoise shell and stood out from the others. I've known breeders that have had puppies die suddenly and they said sometimes it happens. The other's seem perfect. Play fighting, eating, pooing fine. Still going to give them a ring to see what they say. The mother lost interest the last day so I think she knew. She's still a bit protective over the others.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

That's good to hear that she is still protective over the others, she is clearly a natural mother!