Cat Litter Issues

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Cat Litter Issues

Post by sarie »

Hey guys, I'm not sure whether or not anyone can help me with this as it's not a totally straight forward question.

My cat Harvey has Asthma caused by allergies so I had to change his litter to a dust free litter - he was previously using standard clumping clay litter and this was very dusty. Due to his allergies, he can't have litters that use corn, wheat, pine, cedar and he can't have dusty litters.

I researched and found an absolutely amazing litter called "Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Litter". I've been using it for about 4 months and although a little expensive, it's absolutely ideal. I don't like litters that don't clump so this was perfect as it clumps very well, is 99% dust free, the odour control is the best I've ever come across and it's similar to the previous clay litters I was using so wasn't too much of a change for the cats.

However, it would seem that nobody in the UK is stocking this anymore - in just a few months the couple of places selling it seem to have run out of stock and haven't had any more in. I found a seller on ebay but even she is now out of stock. The only places selling it now are in the US and all have silly shipping fees due to weight so it looks like unless this comes back into stock I'm going to have to find a more readily available alternative.

So... any recommendations? Are Silica litters any good? I don't know anything about them...
I'm not keen to try a newspaper litter as I can't see how it can possibly clump or control odour and it'd be a pretty major change in texture for the cats. Most natural litters are out as they all contain allergens or dust. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp :)

Thanks!

Sarah
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Cat Litter Issues

Post by MarkB »

I have tried all kinds of litter over the years, including several clay clumping litters. The best I have found, by far, is Sanicat Gold professional clumping. I get mine from Zooplus - 3 x 6kg for about £14. Great stuff. Sanicat also do a regular clumping litter, which is quite dusty. Another plus for me with the gold version is that wees soak into the litter in seconds, so no 'pooling' on top - for some reason, the same product is sold under the name Sophisicat clumping gold (not to be confused with the regular sophisticat white granules) - also there is only 5kg in a pack when it is sold as sophisticat.

As you can see - it is sold as Sophisticat Gold in Tesco, although they have used a photo of Sanicat Gold :) - the boxes (and contents) are identical apart from the name http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pr ... er_5L.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the other end of the spectrum, don't be tempted to try Nature's Calling (Applaws) litter, that claims to be virtually dust-free. When I tried it last year, I nearly choked on the cloud of brown dust that came up when I emptied it into the trays. It also left a coating of brown dust around the edge of the tray. After a few weeks, I put it on the wood burner - including an unopened bag! - it is made from ground walnut shells. I have to say, it makes excellent, but expensive wood burner fuel! :D

I tried to post a one-star review on Zooplus, which wasn't published. That is why I take reviews on there with a pinch of salt. They only seem to publish good reviews.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I should like to use the silica crystal type litter if I could, because it is totally dust free, but mine don't like it - I always feel I must offer a new type of litter alongside a favoured one (I have two identical trays side by side) and then of course they only use the one they're used to

but if Harvey will use it, I think it might solve your problem
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Hey Mark, is the Sanicat Gold dust free? If it is then I'll definitely give it a shot! I'd like to try the Silica but I've read so many reviews from folk saying their cats don't like it.. plus I do like removing clumps.. the idea of "stirring" the litter seems kinda gross to me :lol:

Edit: Ahhh hrm I looked at the Sanicat and it is dust free but it's scented which is also a no-no for Asthma. I wish they did respiritory litters in the UK.. there are several in the US but over here choice is so much more limited :(
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Thanks for the help guys. Got me thinking so I had a rummage on Zooplus and I'm going to give this one a go - Biokats Micro Cat Litter Unscented.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ats/137981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it's no good then I'll try Silica I think as the rest of the "dust free" options are mentioned to be dusty in the reviews. I'm sure a little dust is fine for most people but Harv can't handle dust so it's important that it is genuinely dust free. I'll let you know what the Biokat is like :) I'm still disappointed I can't get Precious Cat easily.. although it did cost a fortune so if this Micro Cat works out then I guess it'll save me quite a bit of money!
busydee
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by busydee »

Silica ones,, ugh no.
We used Sophisticat gold too, and found it good but couldn't get it locally. Tescos also do Natural and Clean clumping litter which they claim has no fragrance. It clumps well and is not heavy to carry home,,,,
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

I use Sainsbury's ultra-clumping - and does it clump! Both upstairs and downstairs trays have to be provided with those metal wallpaper scraper spatulas in addition to scoops - leave a wee 5 minutes and it's like chipping out concrete! It also claims to be 99.9% dust-free. Never having lived with a cat with respiratory problems I can't say whether this stuff would be ok of course. It also claims to be 'lightly fragranced' - very lightly - I can't think this would upset a cat.

It comes in small (but very heavy) packs which are convenient to use and store and seem to last well. With the stuff clinging fiercely to whatever the cat has done, what's left in the tray doesn't seem to get smelly either. Not being a car owner/driver I don't carry the stuff from the supermarket but order £100+ cat supplies (litter, wet and dry food) every blue moon and get free delivery. Hope this helps :)