BAD BREATH .....SHOULD IT BE A PROBLEM ?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

BAD BREATH .....SHOULD IT BE A PROBLEM ?

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi everyone.....Merry Christmas to you all, seeking advice yet again.... :roll:

Barney is very happy, and currently healthy, eating very well ( cooked fresh carrots and raw finely diced beef tonight which was very happily devoured, shared with Fi, our Samoyed dog too !!) toileting well, (at the moment !) and very playful, even for an 8 - 10 year old !!....he has only 2 teeth left after his dental work, prior to us collecting him over a year ago from Blue Cross, he has no issues with eating and seems very happy....BUT....his breath at times smells dreadful ... :? It doesn't bother me, but I keep reading that it must be something to do with an oral issue, the vet can find nothing wrong, but having lost my last boy to oral cancer last year, I suppsose I am a little paranoid......does anyone else have the same problem at times ? ......xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: BAD BREATH .....SHOULD IT BE A PROBLEM ?

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Julie

Mr G's breath was really awful before his dental work a few months ago. Like Barney, he now only has a few teeth left. His breath has been much better since. Maybe worth checking up with your vet if he still has problems. Fusses to him. Val x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Val.......

He has had all his dental work done a long time ago, as I say he has only 2 teeth left to cause any problem anyway poor fella !! He seems more than happy....I checked with our vet and was told not to worry......he could not find anything wrong with him.........he eats and drinks perfectly well, I just need some reassurance that maybe other cats just have bad breath for no real bad health reason too......he is perfectly happy at the moment....I suppose I am just looking for problems before they are there :roll: !!!!.....x
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Mika's breath is sometimes a bit funky but since it's not all the time I've never thought much of it. If your vet has checked him out then hopefully you are just worrying for nothing. x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

JulieandBarney wrote:.he is perfectly happy at the moment....I suppose I am just looking for problems before they are there :roll: !!!!.....x
I'm just like that with Bobby. I know it is because he is FIV+ (and the most adorable creature EVER :lol: ). If he were human I'd be the mum saying 'fasten your coat, it's cold out there. Where are your gloves, don't forget your hat?' (To the others it would be, 'bye, have a nice time'.)

You said the vet had checked his teeth? It's just a thought but Purdy's teeth looked like they needed a clean but only an Xray showed the abcess under one. When I come to think of it, her breath was a bit smelly for a while.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

If the vet's not worried, and he looks perfectly happy, then I'd just keep an eye on him. Daz has perfect teeth, but his breath is a bit rank siometimes .... I think it's due to whatever he's caught/scavenged and eaten. I call it 'mouse breath'. :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you everyone.....your advice really helps me to 'rationalise' everything, ...just like Bobbysgirl I tend to be the one to fret far too much than is needed, so I totally understand what you mean ! I have to make sure that he has the best of everything and tends to get treated like a child (albeit a very spoilt one !).... :roll:

His breath seems fine again today and yes it is very sporadic, its not every day, but I have noticed a difference when I give him what I would call a 'raw' diet, so, last two days, fresh finely chopped raw beef with fresh cooked carrots and a little boiled rice, he seems to have no bad breath when eating this sort of food and it seems to fill him up more, plus he absolutely adores it and his bowel movements seem to be so much better, I spend longer working out his meals than me and hubby's !!! :P ....not sure if anyone else has any thoughts towards such a diet who may be able to give me any input please ?....I don't exclusively give him a raw diet, breakfast is generally usual small amount of wet food with warm water and a little RC intense furball, as he suffers occasional bad constipation...but the fresh meat and rice/veg etc at night seem to really help him.......x