Lily's constipated

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Lily's constipated

Post by lilynmitz »

The litter tray is still looking empty since my last post - she's not eating a great deal, and speaking with the vet last night he thinks the lack of solid waste may be more due to the fact that she's simply not eating much so that there isn't much in her gut to expel. To be on the safe side he's given me some peridale to put on her food, which will help retain moisture in the solids to keep it moving through her gut, but he doesn't think the laxative is worth continuing.

I fear this is a gradual slide towards her final days/weeks now - I've felt it's been on the cards for a while. However, she is still fairly bright and not suffering, and as long as she is still eating and taking her meds, and so long as she looks happy, we'll keep doing our best for her.

Unfortunately she has decided she hates Webbox, after all these years, and will only take her pills in Whiskas meaty sticks, and only the fish flavour, and of course, everywhere round here has run out of them. PANIC! I may have to order some on line for heaven's sake. but if that's what it takes...

Fingers crossed she can rally a bit, but I don't think so this time. She's on so many meds, there really isn't much more we can give her, so I don't see the point in more stressful vet visits. I'll see how she does over the next few days, and if she doesn't pick up, we may try one last visit to see if there's anything that's easily treatable that we've missed, but sadly I don't think that's the case. She is very tiny and frail now, and I just didn't have the heart for putting her through it yesterday. It was hard enough going in today to pick up her latest prescription - she's on meds for her arthritis, kidneys (x2 + renal diet), thyroid, blood pressure, snotty nose and now her digestion, and will only drink water from the garden water butt, which has to be changed twice a day. You can't say we're not trying. :-(
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I hope you are wrong Anna, but we know our own cats. Laz originally started on Peridale in his wet food, but he didn't like it. I found RC Fibre response much better for bulking and keeping him going.

As I said before, I'm happy to send you some to try.

Kylie also stopped eating Webbox several months ago after eating them for years. Very odd.

Hoping she rallies. I know how tough it is for you.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

I really don't know what to say.....I so feel for you, you are doing everything you can for Lily and I am totally in agreement about not putting her through any more stressful visits to the vets for more tests etc, I would be thinking the same.

I believe that you are doing the best for her and if these are her last weeks or months then you can only make them as happy, pain free and comfortable for her, bless you, this is exactly what you are doing.....

Thinking of you and Lily now, please let us all know how she is, you are in my thoughts......x
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I'm sorry to hear Lily isn't doing well, Anna, I do hope she rallies. I don't think anyone could accuse you of not trying, you've seen her through so many years of treatment for her various ailments and she's clearly a very loved little lady.

Gentle fusses to Lily. Fingers crossed she perks up x

PS perhaps Webbox have changed the recipe if both Lily and Kylie are turning up their noses?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Thinking of you and Lily. I'm sure you are doing the right thing by her. (hugs) to you and fusses to your little lass. x

Like Camden girl I was thinking the same thing about the webbox. Does seem odd that two cats have taken a recent dislike to it after so long. :?
Cat Rescue UK
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cat Rescue UK »

2 things that I've had friends use with good results for constipation in cats is Forever Living Aloe Vera Gel and Coconut oil. Not sure of amounts but they swear by it.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Thinking of you and Lily, all paws here crossed for her. xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I'm so sorry to hear this Anna. Like everyone I do hope little Lily makes a turn around in the coming days. We all know how much you are doing for your precious girl. Sending her much love and hugs to you. Xxxx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Still no poo today. I managed to get her to eat half a tin of Hi Life last night, and she's had a second dose of peridale today. I'm beginning to wonder if it might be her teeth, but I'm not sure she'd survive a dental. The convenia shot she had the other day didn't make much difference either to her snotty nose or her appetite though, and you'd think that might have helped, a least a little, if she had an infected tooth.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

lilynmitz wrote:Still no poo today. I managed to get her to eat half a tin of Hi Life last night, and she's had a second dose of peridale today. I'm beginning to wonder if it might be her teeth, but I'm not sure she'd survive a dental. The convenia shot she had the other day didn't make much difference either to her snotty nose or her appetite though, and you'd think that might have helped, a least a little, if she had an infected tooth.
Anna - when Molly had her abscess, the first vet said gave her Convenia and said that if it didn't reduce the inflammation there was a good chance it was a tumour, 3 days later took her back, saw a different vet who gave her a penicillin injection which worked overnight, so it could still be a tooth issue, maybe ask the vet for some Antirobe, just to try? Is she still on Metacam? I know when Zia was on it, after the first few weeks, she couldn't cope without it, and stopping it stopped her eating after 24 hours
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It took Laz a good week before he was out of the woods with his respiratory infection after being given Convenia. He is still having the odd snuffle 2 weeks on.

I always stop giving Laz anything bulking until he starts pooing again. I always think there is no point adding bulk unless there has been some movement. I asked my vet about this and he agreed. Once he is going again, I start feeding him fibre response again and we usually go weeks before he starts getting backed up again.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I've put her back on the metacam now, but not sure it's made much difference. She had a tiny bit to eat this morning, but is very snuffly while she eats, and really only licks it, she seems to avoid taking mouthfuls, which is what makes me think it's her mouth. I think I'm going to have to take her back to the vet after all.

The awful thing is, this is what happened with Mitz. He was losing weight and then stopped pooing, and I took him to the vet to find that he wasn't constipated, his gut was empty, even though I'd seen him eating. We lost him 3 days later to advanced cancer. :-(
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Mark, I've not seen any improvement in Lily's snuffling, and the convenia hasn't made a noticeable difference. Good point about the bulking agent though. This is so flipping complicated....
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Have you been warming Lily's food? - I was doing it for Laz and it made a difference. His sense of smell still isn't right so I am still doing it 2 weeks on. He can smell the JWB Fish dry I sprinkle on top though.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I put a bit of warm water in with it, yes, but she still only licks the gravy. I mash it up till it's almost soupy to help, but I reckon she's still only eating half a pouch a day, plus she swallows down some dried renal food.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Anna, I haven't been on her much recently so only just catching up with this. I am so sorry you're going through all this with your little Lily; they do become so frail when they are so old :( and gosh, I remember those days with Molly when she just wasn't eating and same as you I was determined that I wasn't going to lose my girl to something 'trite'. Two or three times with Molly when she really wasn't eating much at all I ended up syringe feeding her. Someone on her recommended doing that because apparently the system needs to be kick-started, and it did work (for us at least). I got tins of A/D from the vet and made them really sloppy and used to spend time just squirting bit by bit into her mouth. And if it makes you feel better; Molly for quite some time seemed to survive on very little more than 1/2 pouch of food. Maybe because of their age they're not as active and therefore don't need as much?

Re the Webbox - mine all seem to have gone off it as well so they may well have changed the recipe. If you've got a Sainsbury's near you, try their own brand meat sticks - mine all love them and they're nice and soft so perfect for pilling

I really really hope that Lily does start eating again and you still have many happy moments with her.

Special gentle fusses to your oldie girl xx
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I was about to make the same suggestion as Ria about syringe feeding. The Gourmet Pates (which I seem to recall Lily likes) would probably make good food for that if you watered it down a bit? I made them into soup when Pip had that awful dental a few years ago and could barely even drink because of her swollen face. Hopefully the Metacam will help her as well, I know pain often hits their appetites.

Everything crossed for you and Lily x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just to echo what Ria has said, I went through similar with my old Minnie in her last year, and her grandmother Giddy before her. I had several occasions with both at 18/19 where they lost their appetite and went downhill, Minnie had gastric problems and Giddy had renal failure. With both they did go through a dip and then rally a few times before the final dip that there was no recovering from, and I used Hills a/d and hand-fed chicken to try and kick start their eating. Both seemed horribly frail in their last year, but did keep on trucking and surprise me a couple of times. Like you, every time I took them to the vet I felt it was worth one try before giving up on them, and I hope that works for you this time. All paws here crossed for you both. (((hugs)))
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Just catching up on this too, sorry you're having such a struggle with your old girl. The A/D does syringe well if mixed with some water and is highly nutritious, I found the best syringe for feeding 20ml which the vet can supply you with, anything below that I found to be too small for the food to pass through the nozzle. As Camdengirl says I'm sure the Gourmet Pate would also work.

Good luck, in the nicest way I hope she proves you wrong.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Thank you all for your support, it really means a lot. I've booked Lily in for 3.20 tomorrow. It's encouraging to hear that you've got some of your oldies through episodes like this. She does sleep an awful lot, and is now even less active than usual, but she's still bright and alert when awake, rather than floppy and lethargic, which gives me some hope.

What does seem odd though is that all the fur along her spine is now standing up no end, so it looks like she's got a really visible mohican! I can't help but feel that this is symptomatic of something. I'm sure the vet will pick it up.

What sort of syringe do you use for feeding? All I've got is an old metacam one - would that do it? If so, I'll try it with some Hi Life Pate tonight. I don't have any Hills a/d but could get some from the vet, but it's very high protein so not so good for her kidneys. I guess anything is better than nothing though. I think her kidneys are probably the least of our problems right now. The vet did suggest feeding her cooked chicken. She's not keen on that, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Re the Webbox, we noticed a while ago that it sometimes smells really really disgusting, so I agree, I think they've changed the recipe. Interesting that so many of yours have gone off it too. Sadly we don't have a Sainsburys round here, but I have found another source of the Whiskas meaty sticks, so that emergency's over.

I'll keep you posted re tomorrow. Sorry Lily, but we're going to have to do this again my old lass.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I would think any complete food has to be better than chicken. I guess the Metacam syringe will work, but only if the mix is quite runny.

As for Lily's fur. A bell is ringing, something to do with HyperT, but I can't remember what it is. The only other thing I can think of is that she is cold and her fur is standing up?

As my old vet always said. The best food for any sick cat is one that it will eat.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm sure the vet can give you a bigger syringe.
MarkB wrote:As my old vet always said. The best food for any sick cat is one that it will eat.
I know you are concerned about the protein content but Hill's have done the job for us on more than one occasion.

I too hope that she pulls through for you. Thinking of you. x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Thanks all, I'll have a word with the vet about getting some Hills AD and a bigger syringe. I don't think Lily's cold - I always have the heating pumped up! But the HyperT may be an issue. I guess we'll know more tomorrow. I'm off home to give her a cuddle and force feed her as much as I can!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I agree, if they're not eating, ANYTHING is better than nothing. I have used a Metacam syringe in an emergency, you do need to water it down a bit and they don't get much, but it will do for now until you can get something better. The joy of a/d is that it's so concentrated, they need less of it than regular food. Good luck. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Just caught up with this, I can't add any more than the brilliant advice given by everyone else on here, but I truly hope that your vet can get to the bottom of this for you, hope everything goes ok for you and Lily, thinking of you both ....x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I'm sure you are aware Anna, but when feeding with a syringe, a small amount at a time into the side of the mouth, never to the back of the throat, to avoid them inhaling it, rather than swallowing it. Unlikely it would happen, but best to play it safe. I only ever did it a couple of times with Willow, but it was impossible for me as her mouth was ulcerated with end-stage CRD and the syringe was hurting her too much. She did however manage to swipe turkey off my plate and eat that!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Good point, Mark.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Yaay! huge poo! Will resist the temptation to post a photo. But here's a pic showing her Mohican. She was asking for food, but only licked at it, and this is the one she does like. She must feel so much better for getting rid of that lot! Just need to fill her up again now. Edit: rats, photo won't upload! Will try to resize. Second edit : given up,with photo!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hey that's brilliant news !!!

I bet Lily will be feeling a little more hungry shortly .......I had the same relief myself with Barney again today after the same happened ! ..........let's hope this is good news now......everything crossed....x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hurrah - that's good news, I really hope she feels better for it.
lilynmitz wrote:Will resist the temptation to post a photo.
That did make me laugh - but I know that feeling! : :lol: