Lily's constipated

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Lily's constipated

Post by lilynmitz »

MarkB wrote:I'm sure you are aware Anna, but when feeding with a syringe, a small amount at a time into the side of the mouth, never to the back of the throat, to avoid them inhaling it, rather than swallowing it. Unlikely it would happen, but best to play it safe. I only ever did it a couple of times with Willow, but it was impossible for me as her mouth was ulcerated with end-stage CRD and the syringe was hurting her too much. She did however manage to swipe turkey off my plate and eat that!
. Thanks Mark, good point. I've never had to do,this before. She's eaten a bit tonight, but it's not enough. Lol re the turkey though!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

lilynmitz wrote:Yaay! huge poo!
Thanks for sharing that! :lol: :?

Seriously, that is good news. Hope to hear soon that she has eaten something too. Fingers crossed.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Well, we're back from the vets, and he gave her a really thorough going over and didn't find anything nasty. There's nothing backed up in her gut, no sinister lumps and bumps, her kidneys aren't enlarged, and her mouth and teeth are ok. Her eyesight's starting to go a bit, just through the cornea hardening with age, but otherwise she's as well as can be expected for a rickety old cat. She's lost a bit more weight - another 100g (she's 2kg now), and it's been a very gradual weight loss over the last 12 months - she was about 3.4 kg at "peak fitness".

We decided not to do blood tests this time as even if anything did come up, we're already treating her for it (!) and there isn't much we can add to her current treatments. Her snuffly nose seems to be getting better though, which is good.

So he gave her a shot of B12 and steroids just in case she's a bit anaemic and to give her a general boost to get her going again, but basically, this is just old age taking its course.

The main issue for me now is getting food into her, and I'll just have to do the best I can. I've got some chicken which I'll cook up later (if Pete doesn't get to it first and put it in a casserole!), although I'm not sure she'll like it. I have all the other usual tricks up my sleeve of heating up her food, hand feeding etc. Oh b*gger, I forgot to ask for some Hills AD. Will do that tomorrow. :roll: I don't think we need to syringe feed her just yet, but that might come later.

Thank you all for your support, it's really helped me get through this latest little crisis. Anna and Lily x
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Glad there doesn't seem to be anything sinister going on, hopefully if you can get a good meal or two into her it will perk her up. Do pass on some fusses to the little lady x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's great news Anna. Ruling out any 'nasties' must have made you so relieved. :) Gentle fusses to your lovely girl. I hope you find something to tempt her to eat. Please keep in touch. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Well, that's at least going to put your mind at rest, I'm so pleased. :)

My old Giddy used to have a vitamin B12 shot now and again, and it always used to increase her appetite - I hope it does the same for Lily. Give her a gentle fuss from me too. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Great news Anna :)

Hopefully you are feeling more relaxed. Hopefully her appetite will start to pick up. Have you tried the Sainsbury's mousse domes? - they suggest warming them for a few seconds. Alice went mad for them for a while - at least, the Salmon flavour. (they also do a chicken one and a duck one)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Anna...

That sounds such positive news :) I'm sure once the injection kicks in for Lily she will feel more like eating again....

Hoping everything is on the 'up' for lovely Lily now........x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Thanks all. Let's hope the B12 does get her appetite going. I'll be passing our nearest Sainsburys next week (25 miles away!), so I'll pick up some of those mousse domes. They sound ideal. I have to say its a relief knowing there's nothing sinister underlying these sudden changes in her. There's only so long you can stave off the effects of old age and all her various medical conditions I guess.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Glad the vet has ruled out anything sinister. Hopefully the vit b and steroids will help.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Great news Anna. What a relief. :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

What a relief Anna :) Hope the B12 injections help her feel more like eating. Give her a fuss from me.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Really pleased to hear there's nothing sinister going on, just a case of dealing with each day as it comes.

My 85 yo Dad has to have a B12 injection every 3 months or so, the difference in before and after is amazing and it definitely helps his appetite, without it he barely eats and has no interest in food but with it he has a healthyish appetite.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Something you might want to look into is getting some B12 melts so she gets a regular dose, rather than having to have shots. Most supplements have B12 in the form of Cyanocobalamin but you can get it in the form of Methylcobalamin, which apparently is far better (and the same form that is in the shots) it normally comes in melts or small tablets you melt under the tongue, so it is absorbed straight into the bloodstream via membrane.

I remember when I used to have to take Willow for shots every 3 weeks. They also gave her something else at the same time - I can't remember what it was, but it was connected to her CRD.
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Oh Anna that all sounds so much more positive - so pleased for you and Lily :D . Fingers crossed the B12 injections kick in soon and her appetite picks up again.

Fusses x
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

A quick note on the mousse domes - for some reason the duck one is much higher in protein than the other three flavours. I don't know why that is. You can buy two flavours (I think salmon and chicken) singly. I did buy the multibox a couple of times and fed the duck ones to Hops, but of course while Pip LOVED the first few domes she went off them as soon as I bought some more! They're firmer than the Gourmet Gold, but you can add a bit of water to soften them.

I hope Lily is doing ok today.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Anna I'm not sure whether these are what Mark is referring to but I get them for Fluffy. This particular brand is recommended by felinecrf.org http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superior-Source ... rid_pt_2_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the info on felinecrf.org about it and the recommended dosage http://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm# ... min_dosage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use them for Fluffy to help give her appetite a boost and it apparently can help with constipation too. I give her half a tablet daily. Fusses to Lily and hope she's having a good day today.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes, that looks like the type of thing Carol :)

Apparently B12 is important for nervous system health, including gut health. Good that there is a dose guide on Tanya's site :)

I think I will get some for Laz.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Mark I've just remembered something I read on felinecrf.org about it not being wise to give a cat B12 if you know they have cancer http://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm#methylcobalamin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (scroll down to cautions).

I don't know what you think about that? It came to mind when I thought of Laz and his recent diagnosis.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I know what you mean Sarah. I bought a job lot of Felix AGAIL and Hi Life senior just before Lily went off them, so have 7 boxes of those in the cupboard. She has now decided, a week after troughing them and licking the bowl clean, that she doesn't like the Hills Renal pouches (half a box left). She does like the Lily's Kitchen christmas present she was given, but it's difficult to get locally, and I just KNOW she'll go off it the moment I buy it in bulk on line. Ditto the Sainsburys domes! But, I'll give it a go. It's back to the days of the smorgasbord feeding mat again..... :roll: , the trademark of the poorly cat.

Thanks for the B12 tips Mark and Carol. It hasn't shown much difference yet, but it may take a while to kick in? Meanwhile, she's perky and alert, at least, and drinking her water quite well. I fed her off a teaspoon this morning, and seemed to get more into her this way than leaving her to it. It's a relief to know that there's no new serious conditions (over and above those she already has), but it's sad that there isn't much more we can do for her other than to do our best to keep her going and keep her comfortable as these conditions eventually take their natural course :-(
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

It's good to hear that Lily isn't dealing with anything in addition to her current problems, bless her. Meowing Heads do a mousse in three flavours which is more like the Sainsbury's TTD mousses than Gourmet Gold. Pepsi likes all three flavours, usually hand fed and warmed a little. I'm not sure about stockists as I've got them from the vet and online. Kisses to the little girl.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks for that Carol. Maybe not then. I don;t want to take any chances. I could ask the vet, but not sure how they feel about supplements.
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Hi Anna
I've not been on here for a few weeks & I'm so sorry to read your having troubles with Lily.
We've been having issues with Boris recently & we've hit on blending his food into a smooth paste. We bought the cheapest hand blender we could find (good old Tescos) & use it to blend his Felix Senior, Royal Canin Renal or 12+ into a smooth paste. He is back to troughing his food really well even putting weight back on.
Might be worth a go with Lily?
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi....don't want to hijack this thread but I noticed Sarah mentioned the 'meowing heads' food which I see in pets at home and mentioned on here, does anyone know how good this is ? Barney suffers occasional awful constipation....though thankfullly not very often so would like to know if this would be ok .....
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Thanks Cathy, sorry to hear Boris is poorly. What's his problem?

The blender idea sounds good, I may give it a go. I'm pleased to hear it's working for your big lad. Lily's given up on all her normal food, but she's decided she likes boiled chicken, and I mash up some Lily's Kitchen with warm water and feed her off a teaspoon, and I'm managing to get a decent amount into her each day (the chicken has to be hand fed as well of course,). She will also eat renal dried on her own, but on balance she's eating about half her usual diet. I'll need to do a scavenger hunt next week to restock, as a can't get the food she will eat locally. The things we do for our furries! Hugs to your boy.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

does she like liver? most cats do, and it's easy to blend - a small amount blended with cat food should flavour it - better to cook it though first as raw liver is bad for cats
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Anna,

I always thought Webbox and Nature's menu treats were made in the same factory - but Kylie is still happily eating the Nature's menu ones (maybe they are made to a higher spec.) anyway, I bought a couple of bags and had planned on sending you one for Lily with the other stuff until you asked me to hold fire on. Happy to post them to you if you want to try. I have a bag of chicken & turkey and one of chicken & liver. They didn't have the salmon ones in stock.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Kay wrote:does she like liver? most cats do, and it's easy to blend
I'll say they do! We had liver for tea on Wed. I saved a little for the babies. Willow and Bob nearly climbed on my plate for more, one on each side of me and me trying to elbow them out of the way! :lol:

Sorry for the hijack and s'cuse my ignorance but is it safe to give cats a 'meal' of liver (not just a tiny bit). I always thought it too rich? If it is OK I might add it to the menu for Purdy, my skinny minnie, picky puss.

How is Lily this morning?
hypercat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by hypercat »

Oh I do sympathise with you as my old cat had constipation problems like this. The worst one happened overnight and he was in such pain and distress it was awful. The vet had to um.. de poo him involving an operation. He was right as rain after though.

I hope you get your lovely cat sorted.

Bev x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

as I understand it, overdosing on Vitamin A is the problem - a bigger problem with raw liver - a small amount of cooked liver is OK healthwise, but cats love it so much that they can refuse to eat anything else

that's why I think it's better to mash it up with other food, so they get the taste but not the excess vitamin A - chicken livers in particularly are very cheap too