Lily's constipated

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Lily's constipated

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for that info Kay. :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi Mark, we're doing ok on the whiskas meaty sticks at the moment for pilling her, and I've found that PAH usually stock them. She's off her food a bit again today, and hiding at the back of her bed under a blanket. No poo since Friday this time, which seems to be her routine now - two poos a week. Just shows how little she's eating, and how much her metabolism has slowed down. She ate quite well yesterday (with a lot of encouragement from me), and it is a bit colder today, so that may be why she's under her blanket, but I'll have another go this evening. She seems reasonably bright in herself, but it's hard seeing her like this.

She seems to prefer fish flavour foods at the moment, and has also eaten some fresh boiled chicken, so I'll stick with that for now, but thanks for the liver suggestion.
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Hi Anna
Thanks for asking after Boris. It's probably easier to list what's right with him. We're having trouble stabilising his thyroid readings, kidney readings were high but they've come down a bit, he's lost over a kg in weight & his heart has developed a gallop rhythm. He can no longer chew solid food hence having to blend it. Then this week he's lost his voice completely. He's booked in to see Steve on Tuesday about the loss of voice.
Outside all that he's happy and potters about every day. He sleeps a lot but 5am everyday he wakes us for breakfast. Since losing his voice he's resorted to bashing one of us on the nose!
I hope Lily rallies soon. Our oldies are a worry aren't they.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi Cathy, Boris sounds pretty much like Lily - the same medical conditions, but at a stage when there's not much more we can do to control them, all we can do is keep them comfortable.

I love the fact that they're still trying to keep to their old routines in principle, but not quite managing it. Lily doesn't bring us toys any more, and hardly ever vocalises, but she potters around in her little world, shuttling between the living room and the kitchen/diner, and we pander to her every whim - she asks so little of us. She doesn't groom herself anymore, so I do that for her, but she's not stressed or uncomfortable, she seems content, and demands that she spends her evenings asleep on my lap. They are a worry, but it's the best we can do for them at this stage in their lives. They gives us so much, they deserve our support when they need it. I love Boris bashing you on the nose for his breakfast - there's fight in the old boy yet!
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

I meant to post... Boris also has a Mohican. Must be linked to one of their many issues.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

The vet thought it was probably due to a combination of weight loss and slight dehydration meaning that the fur didn't sit flat along this spine.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Yaay, poos two days running, for the first time in two weeks (after one every 3 days). My brave little puss isn't giving up just yet.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

:) - Great news Anna - long may it continue :)

I know exactly where you are coming from with Laz. Some nights I look at him and wonder if he will be alive in the morning - then the next morning, he is bright eyed (even though his pupils are massive) and demanding breakfast :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Two poos? Good news! :D
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Well done Lily :)

Great news Anna. The little girl is doing her best. It's such an emotional roller coaster with our oldies. Especially when they have several serious health problems. All we can do is take each day as it comes.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, I am so pleased. What a good girl! I understand exactly what you all mean. It is so lovely to see Pepsi bright eyed in the morning after she has had a quiet day and not much evidence of litter tray usage. They are all so precious. Kisses to the little girl.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

That's great Anna !! Well done Lily :D

My Barney decided to do a 'victory lap' of the house this morning after he used his tray !! ...He left a trail of destruction behind him ..!! :roll: Brilliant at 7am as I am about to go to work!! ...I wouldn't want him any other way.....x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Agreed - well done Lily! :D
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Way to go Lily!
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

A bit late to the follow up, glad to hear Lily managed to perform in the box at last! Gentle fusses to her.

Cathy, Boris has clearly been talking to Pip, she bats me in the face in the early hours given the chance. And if that doesn't work she deploys claws through the lip. Fusses to your old boy too.
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

I know I'm coming late to this forum but I hope Lily is a little better now....
My Seal point Siamese "Bailey" ( see lost cats " It's the not knowing" ) had constipation and vomiting and we didn't know what was wrong..cut long story short he had "megacolon" and underwent a
Sub Total Colectomy (removal of his colon/large intestine.)...he subsequently developed Inflamatory Bowel Disease. which we treated with Hills feline z/d diet. This prescription vet diet is for animals that cannot tolerate long molecule proteins..he did brilliantly on it...in fact the vet said he was getting a bit too fat...!!
From my experience I think this diet ( a bit expensive per tin and biscuits ) is well worth a try if you have a cat with digestive problems as it's made from hydrolized protein which I gather is easier for a cat to digest.
Sadly Bailey went missing on 9/11/14 Rememberance Sunday whilst we were on holiday and we haven't seen or heard about him since..but we still love and miss him.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

So sorry to hear about Bailey Sue, after all that you went through with him. Getting Lily to eat anything is a challenge, and I'm trying to manage her diet for her kidneys as well, but at this stage anything is better than nothing, as I reckon she eats half what she used to. As she's very inactive, she doesn't exactly burn it off, but she's down to 2kg now. She'll tolerate fish flavour pate foods, and a little fresh chicken. I'm going to cook up a little white fish for her tonight. Luckily she supplements this with renal dried food, which is the only renal food she eats now (plus "kidney drugs"!), but I'll bear your comments in mind - it would be lovely to get a bit of weight onto her.

I know it's a long shot after so long, but I do hope you hear some news about Bailey, or if not, that you can find some peace. xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Anna, just a thought, but have you tried mixing cooked egg white into her food - I've read lots of good things about egg white being good for cats with renal problems, and I did try it with my gang when I was struggling with elderly cats in renal failure. I couldn't get them to eat much, but a small amount in each meal did seem to help when they wouldn't eat 'renal food'.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I might give that a go Helen, she does like egg, oddly enough!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

And for those anxious for an update on Lily-poo deposits (:-p), it's about two poos a week, aided and abetted with doses of lactulose or peridale when required. There's no point dosing her daily, as she's not eating enough to do a poo every day.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Lily's un-constipated!

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm pleased to report that my tenacious old girl Lily has really improved over the last few days. I suspect she just had a really nasty cold-like virus that took away her appetite, which she has finally shaken off. She's not snuffling any more, and after spoon feeding her for over a month, she now tucks in on her own and even almost licks the bowl clean! Which means that litter tray deposits are getting more frequent. (TMI!). I really thought the end was nigh, even earlier this week. But as the saying goes "I'm not dead yet!". She's a tough little cookie my Lil, and I have growing respect for this little cat's determination to keep going. Mind you, she was on eight medications a day at one stage, and her food mat looked like a finger buffet there were so many different foods out inthe hope that she might eat at least one of them :roll:
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Anna that's fantastic news!!! I'm so pleased for you. The lovely Lily really is putting up a fight isn't she. What a determined little girl she is. She must be feeling good to eat so much and to finish her bowl each time! Hopefully the virus is out of her system now which is why she feels more like eating. Give her a gentle tickle from me Xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Anna, really good news, I'm so pleased for you. Well done Lily, fusses to you.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That IS brilliant news, well done to you both! xx
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Woo hoo! Brilliant news!
Love the finger buffet reference. We're going through the same with Boris who has gone right off his food following a couple of bouts of sickness this week. Our cat cupboard has a better selection of food than we have in our own cupboard!
Fusses to your girl from me & my 2.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

cathyday wrote:Our cat cupboard has a better selection of food than we have in our own cupboard!
:lol: :lol: Too true!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Dear, I have to say that's the same situaton here !!! His Highness has cooked carrots, mashed up, finely chopped raw beef, Psyillium Husk, lillys kitchen with chicken, mixed with warm water, and a few RC Fibre Response biscuits...!!! .....Our dinner is cooked AFTERWARDS !!!!! :roll:
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Excellent news! Well done little Lily! xx