Going under kitchen units

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Going under kitchen units

Post by AhmedUK »

Hello,

This one is driving me crazy, so maybe someone can help.

There is a small gap under one of the units in the kitchen. Sometimes, TC has an interest in that gap. He will go and sit in front of it looking at it for ages, and then sometimes he goes inside and goes all the way around the base units in the kitchen.

I have no idea why he has such an interest in this gap, we live on a first floor flat, there can't be any rodents around. And he doesn't always have this interest, he had it majorly about two months ago for a week, and then he stopped, but it started again yesterday, I walk around the flat and I can't see him and about an hour later I hear him come out from under there.

I don't like it when he is there, I worry, my landlady said when he was a kitten he once got in there and went all the way around and they had to move the bottom of the units to get him out, but he never went inside again, but now he does.

Any ideas why he is doing this?

Thank you.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Going under kitchen units

Post by Lilith »

Hey Ahmed, you could block the gap off, perhaps with cardboard, tightly packed - he will probably have a good old rummage and scrabble at it at first, just to see if he can get the better of it but it'll keep him occupied and out of mischief - until he finds something else to occupy his mind lol.

I have a private theory that ginger cats are eccentric characters - I've lived with several, and they've all been wacky originals - got to love them though :)
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Lilith wrote:Hey Ahmed, you could block the gap off, perhaps with cardboard, tightly packed - he will probably have a good old rummage and scrabble at it at first, just to see if he can get the better of it but it'll keep him occupied and out of mischief - until he finds something else to occupy his mind lol.

I have a private theory that ginger cats are eccentric characters - I've lived with several, and they've all been wacky originals - got to love them though :)
Heh, my landlady and I have contemplated that thought. She keeps asking him what is under there because he just sits there for an eternity looking inside, and then disappears off.

My worry is that he might one day get trapped under there, at the end of the, neither me nor my landlady know exactly what pipes etc are under there, and maybe when we're both out, he could spend the day trapped. So I think we will go through with blocking it off, we just hope it doesn't upset him.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I had to do the same thing with a 'hidden' corner beside my dishwasher when Molly was a kitten - she had just enough room to slide in - and make a lovely mess. Groping in the gloom for the result wasn't my idea of fun and she could have explored behind the dishwasher so I blocked off the gap with a panel of weldmesh - not very elegant but did the trick. She was fine - she washed her paws of that idea - and started to go in the bath...That's gingers for you lol.

I reckon TC will be fine - though he'll find something else - they always do lol :)

ps naughty Moll is now housetrained - she was just young and bewildered. And inventive.
Last edited by Lilith on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I think the attraction could be spiders, apart from the fact that most cats like to creep into small dark places. My Tilly once saw a tiny spider emerge from a tiny 3mm gap below a unit in the kitchen, and now she will often sit there with her nose at floor level, hoping it will reappear for her to play with it.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My guess is that there's something under the units, if not a mouse then an insect or spider. Cats have much better senses than we do.
Jane

Post by Jane »

This thread is now closed, and has been moderated to leave only the helpful posts, for the benefit of other forum users and visitors.

Admin Jane