New cat pees while asleep

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fiomet
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

New cat pees while asleep

Post by fiomet »

We rehomed an 18th month old cat about 4 days ago, right now she is asleep on my knee and I've noticed a lot of twitching from the cat and then I felt a small leek of wet on my leg (definitely isn't me!!). I know that before we got her she had had all of her check ups, and she's had no problems using a litter tray. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it because shes still new to her environment, and still adjusting?

Thanks
fiomet
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: New cat pees while asleep

Post by fiomet »

I should probably mention that she has very recently been spayed
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

although I've never heard of it before, it does sound as if she was very deeply asleep and dreaming, and wet herself much as young children sometimes do when asleep

I can't see that a spay would do any nerve damage to the kidneys or bladder - it would have to be an error made by the vet - but a phone call might be a good idea to see if it is possible

meanwhile I'd get a couple of old towels to put down on her favourite sleeping places
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

If this is a one off I wouldn't worry about it. However, if it happens again, I'd suggest you take her to the vet to get it checked out.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

How much was she twitching? It's probable, as the others said, that she was just deeply asleep, but it's just possible she might have had a minor seizure, which can cause them to lose control of their bladders. Hopefully it's not that, but I thought I should flag the possibility (and if it is, there are medications that can control feline seizures). I'd keep an eye on her for now, and, as the others say, if it happens again consult a vet.