Bob martin flea treatment please help!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Bob martin flea treatment please help!

Post by Tara1984 »

Hi all,

I bought some bob martin spot on flea treatment online yesterday. I notice when googling bob martin spot on there seens to be a lot of bad reviews about it and a lot of people have said dont use it and that their cats have bad reactions to it! I was wondering if anyone has used it and if its a bad product? I'm worried about using it now!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Bob martin flea treatment please help!

Post by meriad »

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Yes, chances are 9 out of 10 people who have used it haven't have any problems with it, but I wouldn't want to be that 1 person who's pet does have a reaction. Because when there is a reaction - it's usually really really bad and can (and has been) fatal.

My advice would be to return it to the shop and put that money towards a better product
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with Ria. Not worth risking it. It's not as effective as products such as Frontline anyway, so at best it's not that good, at worst it could poison your cat. There a lot of bad press going around about their cat litter too - if ingested (eg grooming) it causes horrific internal burns and blisters, which can also be fatal. Not wanting to be a scare monger, but really, I'd steer clear of their products.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Personally, I would NEVER go anywhere near anything with their name attached, I have heard some terrible horror stories from people who's cats have had almost fatal reactions to their treatments. :cry:
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tara1984 »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have read bad things about Bob martin and I wish i didnt buy the product now. I have used bob martin dewormer on my cats before and he was fine with it.

I got the product from amazon. Do you think they will refund my money to me? I think i might go for frontline as I havent heard any bad things about that. I have heard that peoples cats have died from using bob martin and I wouldnt forgive myself if that happened to me! I cant see how a flea product could do that though!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Tara

Not sure what chemicals exactly that do the damage, but my friend used the flea treatment and her cat began having terrible seizures, she rushed him to the vet and was basically given a telling off from the vet for using the treatment ! Thankfully he survived, but it was very touch and go for a while. :cry:
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tara1984 »

Hi,

I have read a lot of bad stories about bob martin and I dont think I can take the risk. Where is the best place to get treatment? Some places are really expensive. My kitten is only 5 months and I would be really angry with myself if he had a bad reaction. There are some good reviews about bob martin and he might be fine but theres a risk that he might not be. I dont know why places are selling the product if its dangerous.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I buy from a good seller on e-bay for far less than the cost from my vet, I use Advantage treatment and Barney is fine with it.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

There are a lot of reports that fleas are becoming immune to Frontline, if you can afford it get something from your vet.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I will only use one Bob Martin product, which is FleaClear for cats and contains Fipronil, which is the same ingredient as is in Frontline. I've used that often for my gang, and it works well. Wouldn't use anything else they make.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

As far as I know, the biggest danger with Bob Martin is that their dog flea treatment is toxic to cats. For that reason, I would never buy anything with their name on it.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

For what it's worth, my OH runs a pest control company. I'm really not sure if I'm happy to recommend that the general public does so (they so often don't), but, personally, I'm happy to trust my own judgement and read the ingredients on packets - I do it all the time for the business.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I'm just a bit uncomfortable supporting a company that has sold products resulting in the illness and death of cats - especially given that there are plenty of generic Fipronil products around now. When I use wormers, I give them Advantage for fleas, after hearing so much about fleas becoming resistant to Fipronil products.

I give mine Advocate normally. I got 6 from the vet a few days go so will do them any day now! :)
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Like most others who commented I do not and would never use Bob Martin products. I've read such horrific stories about their collars and only today read online about a poor cats burns due to getting the litter gel in its mouth.
I've always had advocate drops for my cat for flea and worm. This is what we get from the vet to spply ourselves and it's been great x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hey, I'm not wedded to Bob Martin, I just started using FleaClear a few years ago when it came out as it seemed to be the first that used Fipronil and was a lot cheaper than Frontline. It's always worked, and I've never had a cat with a problem on it. But I take your points and I'm happy to try other generic Fipronil products ....

Funnily enough, I did use Frontline Combo at the end of October as all of my gang got Fleas, and the rescue supplied Frontline Combo for the fosters so I got the same for my own cats (it makes sense to treat them all the same and at the same time - less chance of confusion). First time I've ever not had a flea treatment work, so I had to get a quick prescription for Stronghold and use that, which did work. My vets are lovely in many ways, but charge £16 per prescription per cat, so even buying online does make a big difference to the cost.

I know Flevox also uses Fipronil, I'll try Advantage or that. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

A couple of weeks ago I was in Pets at Home buying food. I had just paid a small fortune on Frontline from the vets and was asking the assistant about their prices. He said, as a member of their VIP club I could get a discount on my next purchase of Frontline from them. Sorry I don't remember the price, but it was cheaper than the vet.

I would have used Bob Martin products on the dogs. Never considered them for cats - good job too by the sound of it!