What are they looking at??

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

What are they looking at??

Post by Mollysmummy »

The last few days both our cats have started jumping on the back of the sofa looking high up on the walls. Our older girl even chatters like she's watching birds but there's nothing there? No light reflections or cobwebs (I checked), it's weirding me out a bit!

I thought maybe they could hear rain or snow but it's internal walks they're staring at?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: What are they looking at??

Post by bobbys girl »

Same wall each time? We live in an old bungalow and have a wood burning stove. At a certain time in the evening our lounge ceiling creaks (!). If the telly is on we can't hear it but the cats can and they all look up. :shock: I have quite good hearing and can hear it if the TV is off. We think it's just the heat from the fire and an old house 'breathing' - either that or the house is about to collapse. :lol:

As I write this, Gracie has taken a break from chewing her way through another cardboard box and is staring down the side of the stove. She's doing that a lot recently. Who knows what goes on in the kitty mind? Don't worry about it. :)
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Mollysmummy »

Yes same wall. Our house is over 100 years old so it's quite possible its a house noise, but they've only just started doing it.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

It's not a chimney breast wall is it? Sometimes mine can hear birds sat on top of the chimney :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It's been very cold recently, perhaps the is a greater contrast between the warmth of your house and the cold outside?

This morning, now the fire is out, Gracie has her head stuck down the side of the fire. Something has her attention. It is quite still outside this morning, so it's not a noise in the chimney. We think she might have seen a spider/mouse go in there and is still expecting it to come out! :roll:

Funny things, cats! :lol:
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

We sometimes get bats or mice in the attic.

Henry sometimes hangs out near the window to watch the bats arriving and leaving under the eaves! It can be a bit annoying in the summer - he can sit for hours from about 4am!