Abcess on paw

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Abcess on paw

Post by Crewella »

Poor old Daz has been in the wars. I feel really guilty, as he must have had the injury and the infection building for a few days but I only noticed it when it burst last night and his back left foot became a blackened and bloody mess and I saw him trying to wash it. He'd been a bit quiet for a couple of days, but it's been really cold and they've all been huddled by the storage heaters for most of the day and none too keen on going out, and I just assumed it was the same for him - he was eating OK. He's still been walking on it, too.

I whipped him off down to the vets but it's hard to tell what caused it, especially now the abcess has burst - it's under one of his middle toes. Maybe a bite, or he caught his foot on something, but there's apparently nothing in there now, and he's on antibiotics for a week, poor little soldier. I was surprised, but she said not to worry about trying to clean it up and to let him do that himself, which he has been doing and it does indeed look a lot better tonight. Hopefully the ABs will kick in and fight off the remaining infection - it seems that all I can do is keep an eye on it and administer pills and cuddles.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Abcess on paw

Post by HRHFluffy »

Awwww poor Daz :(

Try not to feel guilty. It's so difficult to notice something like that. Glad he's been checked out. All you can do now is let the antibiotics work. Please give him an extra cuddle from me. Xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Carol's right, you shouldn't feel guilty. When you have a number of kitties, all with their own problems, it can be easy to miss something like this. We have done it with Grace. She is normally such a grump, that we have twice missed an abcess until it burst.

Perhaps he stood or accidentally jumped on something sharp? The good thing is it has been seen to and he has had AB's. Poor little fella. Add my fusses to Carol's. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Thank you both for that. I do know you're both right, and that cats are masters of disguising the fact that they're in pain. I just feel rotten that he must have been hurting as the infection built up.

I've given him some Metacam, so hopefully he's a bit more comfortable now.

Fusses gratefully received. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Daz couldn't ask for a better hoomin so please don't feel guilty, you got it treated as soon as you noticed and that's the important thing.

Fusses to lovely Daz x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I agree Helen. I remember when noticed Clapton walking oddly. When I checked his paws, several of his claws had grown into his pads and got infected. I had no idea. Hope he's OK now.