Lump and scabbing at vaccination site

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Lump and scabbing at vaccination site

Post by JulieJulie »

Hi guys. My 12 yo cat had her vaccines almost 2 months ago and the site now has a lump the size of a 1p coin and was very scabby. I've been putting sudocrem on it but just came back from a week away (my cat sitter wasn't asked to treat it as I thought it was healing) and its still there. I've heard of these lumps and of course when I call the vet they say to bring her in but I'm not sure what they can do and of course that's another stressful car trip for her.
Anyone had experience of this? The scab has gone and it just looks red now so I've started the sudocrem again. It doesn't seem to bother her when I touch it.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Lump and scabbing at vaccination site

Post by Kay »

I've certainly experienced scabby sores at the site of vaccination but not a lump

I don't think it's wise to ignore any unexplained lump, and I think you must brave a vet visit, where a simple aspiration procedure should show if there is anything to worry about - it will not take long and should cost little
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've had lumps appear up to a couple of weeks after the jab on a vaccination site, but they've gone again within about a week. If it's hung around for that long I'd definitely get it looked at.
Suze
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Suze »

I know vet trips can be very stressful but a lump in that location a couple of months after should really be checked.
If the vet suggests a biopsy, I wouldn't rely on a fine needle aspiration, they can be very unreliable, a punch biopsy would give you a better idea of what it would be.

Really hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about. x
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Hey Julie, I'd definitely get her checked out as soon as possible as vaccine site sarcomas are not unheard of, not that I wish to worry you at all.

I know you don't want to stress her out with a car trip but after the amount of time that has gone by since her jabs I'd really suggest you get her checked out and ensure it's nothing to worry about.

Best of luck with her, let us know how you get on :)
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Hello, sorry for the slow reply. I've booked her a vet visit (I've spoken to the surgery a couple of times about her too) but I'm putting Sudocreme on the site twice a day and it seems to be healing and the lump is going down - which is odd in itself. The skin looked really red and sore yesterday morning so I'm guessing the scabs had come off. I have noticed that she does seem to take a long time to heal from injuries my poor baby.
I'll keep an eye on it and we've got the appointment if its needed but hopefully it will continue to heal.
Odd to see what looks really like an injury/wound, following a vaccination. I've heard about lumps before but not accompanied by the surface wound.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Tiffany's bare patch and broken skin following vaccination got worse over three boosters, despite changing the vaccine formula, and my vet has advised not to give any further doses - switching to her leg would only make things worse, as she would be able to get to the sore place

why it happens seems to be a mystery
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Kay wrote:Tiffany's bare patch and broken skin following vaccination got worse over three boosters, despite changing the vaccine formula, and my vet has advised not to give any further doses - switching to her leg would only make things worse, as she would be able to get to the sore place

why it happens seems to be a mystery
Kay, I was already thinking I won't vaccinate her after this episode. Thankfully with the sudocrem it's finally going down but she does have a bald triangular patch which is still very red and angry but less so. Did your vet give any treatment like antibiotics etc?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I only took her to the vet the first time it happened and no treatment was offered - but that is partly me because I tend to reject any treatment which is speculative, and I could see the sore place wasn't bothering her much

I'm particularly anti the way so many vets chuck abs at almost everything - they should be kept for when a bacterial infection is known to be present
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Kay wrote:I'm particularly anti the way so many vets chuck abs at almost everything - they should be kept for when a bacterial infection is known to be present
Absolutely agree, Kay (I so often do). ;) xx
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thanks Kay. You are so right about abs. Sometimes I think they do it to make the 'owners' feel better too.....