Bronchitis

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Bronchitis

Post by Catfan5 »

Bailey our 7yo Ragdoll has been diagnosed with bronchitis which began in December last year. At first we thought she was trying to bring up a furball, then she went off her food so my husband took her to the vet. After a thorough examination, she had an injection which made her feel much better. After a few days though she started coughing again and last month she had a course of antibiotics which worked. The cough stopped for ten days then started again. She had a chest X-ray which ruled out asthma but the coughing continues poor girl. She has started another course of antibiotics, a stronger dose but now she has started being sick but only in the mornings after breakfast not all the time. The vet thinks it could be allergy related and may have to take steroid medication if the cough continues. She doesn't wheeze and seems her normal bouncy self otherwise.
Has anyone else's cat had/have this? Would like to hear anyone's experience please.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Bronchitis

Post by greenkitty »

Although not quite the same Hector had a bacterial bronchial infection a few years ago, I seem to remember he had quite a long course of AB's - something like 8 weeks before it finally shifted. He had a multitude of other problems as well and did have his lungs "washed" out because they were so congested. He's a cat flu carrier and has a lot of respiratory problems due to the damage the flu has left and takes a small dose of steroids each day to keep the inflammation down. Cats tolerate steroids much better than humans and dogs, he's been on them for about 5 years now and his last kidney blood test showed no issues.

With regard to the sickness in the mornings, I would try Bailey on something really bland for that meal, something like some plain cooked chicken which will be gentle on her digestive system.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks for your reply, remember reading about your Hector, glad he responded to the treatment well. Will try a blander food for breakfast and see if it helps because the antibiotics are in it. She's a tricky cat who doesnt like opening her mouth for anyone! The vet thinks it was the steroid injection that stopped the coughing before not the antibiotics so we'll have to see.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Bailey has been on steroid tablets for a few days now and she is still coughing, three long episodes in the night. The vet had talked about using a spacer and mask as in asthma treatment if the tablets alone didn't work. But she doesn't have difficulty breathing and she doesn't wheeze, also the chest X-ray was normal. So what else could be causing her to cough like this? She has stopped being sick which is good. Her fur looks rough and dry, it just sticks out all over instead of her usual silky soft coat and she looks in poor condition. Having said that she acts like a bouncy overgrown kitten in between coughing bouts! She is a hyper, stressy cat who sprays in the house at the slightest thing, even though she goes outside which I'm sure isn't good for her cough with the cold air. She hates being kept inside though and protests with more spraying.
Any responses appreciated.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Poor Bailey, I wonder whether any household products are irritating her making things worse? Do you use candles, essential oils, hairsprays, room scenters, perfumes etc. Just like humans those can also affect cats even household cleaning products etc are worth considering. Please pass on some fusses from me.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi, the vet asked if we used air fresheners or similar but we rarely use them and the only plug ins we have are feliways. Could she react to that? Harry's cardio vet reacts to the Feliway in her room and gives her asthma but don't know if it could affect a cat in the same way.. Our cleaning products are fairly basic ie washing up liquid, jif, bio liquid for the spraying and PAH urine spray. Could the cough be food allergy related? The only food she eats is Seriously Good fish pouches from PAH, thrive chicken treats and a little JWB Hairball dry. I have seen her cough by her food bowl and wondered..
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

It could be food allergy or what you wash the bowls/mat with etc. Best to keep to greener cleaning stuffs if you have this problem. It's worth noting when she coughs more though as you have done, but trying to pinpoint these things can be a nightmare. You could also try raising the food bowl if you've not already done that, I find it really helps when cats suffer with coughs/mucusy type problems and for elderly cats with arthritis too.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks for your good advice Janey, we will have to be more vigilant. We've noticed she coughs at night quite a lot, and if she gets stressy during the day can set it off. We've started with a change of wet food and will look at the cleaning products. I don't know much about natural products so will have to get googling!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

It's worth a try, also thinking whether you changed anything around the time this started. Regarding food stuffs, as a rule cereals, dairy and fish are common things which cats can be sensitive to and you can of course get hypoallergenic or sensitive foods to try, but the infection could also just be taking a long while to clear up properly too I suppose. I hope that cough goes for her though it's awful watching them when you feel you can't do much.