Edgar update

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Edgar update

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

As some of you know, we adopted Edgar from rescue/foster in January where he had been for three years and he came to us without vet check, so it was our vet who discovered the same day that he had terrible gum disease. Two months later he had 12 teeth out but a month later we are still struggling to get his gum disease under control. I feel so sorry for the poor boy. We've tried Antirobe (incredibly no effect), Convenia injections, Metacam (it gives him the runs - a shame, as this has worked to bring Pepsi's gum disease under control and she's 10 years older than Edgar), and today we've started steroids, which I know some of you don't recommend for gums, but we're struggling to come up with alternatives. At this rate he faces another dental as of the teeth he has left only a few are decay free. The vet is still confident that we can get it under control but it's all rather demoralising and I feel so sorry for poor Edgar who is a wonderful loving boy and obviously we would do anything for him. He is happy, playing, eating, loving, using his tray fine, and looking after his sister Lou Lou, but obviously he must be feeling discomfort. The vet had a panic today about FIV until I reminded him he had tested negative the first day we brought him home, thank goodness.

:oops: I was embarrassed that he had put on nearly a kilo in the three months he's been with us, so I must keep an eye on his eating of the others' left overs. He was 5.1 on Jan 24, today he's 5.9!!

Any out of the box suggestions for gum treatment, lovely people? Thank you for reading another Edgar post!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Edgar update

Post by greenkitty »

Has the vet said what the problems with his gums is? Is it FGS?

I have two cats with this virus and found the best thing was to remove the majority of the teeth plus feed them on a cereal free diet. They just have the tiny front teeth and canines left. The virus reacts to the sugars found in cereals which cling to the teeth (because they can't brush like we could) leading to the teeth to rot and the gums becoming very inflammed.

There's a great website which gives more information on this condition: http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noodle and Tig have been so much better since having them out and their gums have calmed right down to a natural pink colour. I've been able to relax their diet a bit and introduce some foods containing cereals back into their diet.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Julia, thank you. He hasn't mentioned FGS so this is really helpful. Exactly why I posted on here! Thank you! Will raise it with him now. Fusses to Noodley and Tig. X
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Sarah. Sorry I've only just noticed this. Nothing further to add I'm afraid. I did look into FGS when I thought Harvey had a problem with his gums. Sadly it wasn't that. It is certainly worth asking your vet about it and to check it out. Poor Edgar. I keep forgetting he had 12 teeth out. He's coping extremely well though by the sounds of it and is loving his new life with you and his new sisters. I'm glad you reminded your vet that he'd already been tested for FIV. Wish they'd read the notes properly. Looking into cereal free foods might be a good thing anyway. Please give Edgar a tickle from me xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Hi Sarah, just want to pass on a big fuss to poor Edgar. He is really in the wars, isn't he?

Mischa and Kitten had special biscuits, not sure if this would help Edgar, but they were especially formulated for teeth, and you can get them from your Vet.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thank you Carol and Helen. Since we got to the bottom of Edgar's dodgy tummy (reaction to Metacam) he's been on gastro intestinal food, plain chicken and white fish so hopefully this will help all round. We have ordered some RC dental biscuits which are huge! I will talk about FGS with the vet when we go back on Saturday for his steroid injection and AB and see what cereal free food they can recommend. Doubtless very expensive but I 'm sure Fluffy would agree that we wouldn't have anything to spend our money on if it wasn't for them so I should be grateful! The boy is as laid back as ever but I am sorry he has to face all this at only about 6 yrs old.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Sarah. Yes I'm sure Fluffy would agree totally with you about the spending of money and she'd probably add that you are only taking poor Edgar to the vet again on Saturday to stop you getting bored :D

It is a shame that he is facing all this at such a young age. But he is definitely coping with it all and taking it in his stride. I think he is so thrilled to at last have a loving home that he can handle everything else that comes along. Will be thinking about you on Saturday. Will be interesting to know what the vet said about cereal free foods and FGS. Give him another tickle from me xxx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

The Butchers Classic is cereal free and inexpensive, it doesn't have to be prescription food. When I asked about the cereal free diet my vet didn't have enough experience to comment on it, so I took what I'd read on Dr Addie's website and went from there.