UTI?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

UTI?

Post by Joanne_ »

I have two questions.

1. Ted climbed in his litter box, dug around and got back out. I picked him up and put him back in it as I knew he must have the urge to do something. He dug around again then just sat and sat did nothing then waited a bit, got back in and sat again and when he moved there was the tiniest amount of wee. Like a tea spoon. I have never had a cat that's had this issues so I am assuming UTI? we will take him to the vets anyways.

2. Ted is obsessed with chewing.. is this normal?:\ he is 3. He chews anything and everything from, hairbrushes, remote controls to keys etc.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: UTI?

Post by Kay »

UTI or cystitis - either way it needs treatment as urinary blockages can be particularly dangerous in a male cat

could the chewing indicate something going on with his gums? it would be the case with a baby, after all
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Kay wrote:UTI or cystitis - either way it needs treatment as urinary blockages can be particularly dangerous in a male cat

could the chewing indicate something going on with his gums? it would be the case with a baby, after all
I took him and she thinks cystitis. He has a 10 day course of meds and need to get a urine sample. I not even sure how its possible to get a sample and it just a little drop:(
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Poor beautiful Ted, I guess with losing Erik it's not surprising that he's stressed, so I can see how the cystitis might have happened. My Daz had to go in for so many blockages that I never actually had to get a wee sample, but the plan was to follow him about with a small cup (or big spoon) and try sliding it under him when he squatted.

You've had such a rotten few weeks, I'm so sorry. (((hugs)))
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lallum »

I feel for you. I really do. In January Midnight got cystitis. He was admitted to cat hospital and was catheterised 5 times. It was awful and I cried and cried. The vet suggested he might be better put to sleep. Eventually he had a penis removal and is now functionally a girl. He is back to his old self and is going outside of brief periods of time. He is sitting on the floor as I speak. It was a tough four weeks and i now have to watch him closely. I give him 10 syringes of water every day just to make sure he gets water. He eats Hills Prescription diet c/d for urinary stress. He loves it! It did however cost the insurance £2500. Without insurance there's no way I could have funded this.

Advice? if in doubt, see the vet. When I was at my lowest, the vet was wonderful and kept telling me she was determined to cure him. The vets and nurses at cat hospital keep ringing up to check on him as they all loved him. Without all their care, Midnight wouldn't be home causing trouble.

Best Wishes
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Thanks for the replies.
Lallum- you poor baby has gone through A LOT!:( I had no idea they could even do such an operation.

Ted finished his meds and so far seems back to normal. Trying to keep an eye on it but as he is more outdoors these past few weeks it is hard to know if he is urinating okay.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

You could try adding some warm water to his wet food, just able a tablespoon is usually enough to keep things moving through. If it happens again speak to your vet about putting him on a maintenance dose of something like Cystophan, you can tweak the dose upwards if you think it might be coming on.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

greenkitty wrote:You could try adding some warm water to his wet food, just able a tablespoon is usually enough to keep things moving through. If it happens again speak to your vet about putting him on a maintenance dose of something like Cystophan, you can tweak the dose upwards if you think it might be coming on.
I swear by what you said ... after 2 bouts of stress related cystitis in as many months, even though Blackie had been put on the Hills c/d stress diet, the best vet advice given was to put him on 1 x Cystophan a day and add plenty of warmed water to his food. After 3 months on the Hills food, Blackie simply refused to eat anymore of it, so I had to go back to giving him his favourite - Felix jelly pouches - in order to get the added water inside him. He's now been free of cystitis for 10 months - with me still trying to get him on better food than Felix :roll:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Jan wrote:He's now been free of cystitis for 10 months - with me still trying to get him on better food than Felix :roll:
I always maintain that the best food for a cat is a food it'll eat ;) So if Blackie eats and likes the Felix then I'd leave him be; just remember, if he's happy then he's not stressed.

Also, Felix is a complete food and the chunks with jelly one is cereal free so actually not all that bad
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I agree as well. Daz wouldn't eat the prescription wet food and gets mainly Felix in jelly or Butchers Classic with added water and Cystophan, though he does still get the c/d dry sprinkled on top as well. Touch wood, he's now been clear for 18 months, and to be honest I don't dare change anything! I do believe his weight loss was also a major factor in his recovery.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Thanks to you Crewella + meriad for your reassuring posts. The vet we see locally where we live in Kent seems to swear by the Hills stuff ... when I mentioned to her that Blackie was refusing to eat it, she told me that he must stay it for two years :o Shortly after, we travelled down to NSomerset as we do 2 or 3 times a year, taking Blackie with us and I went in to see the local vet (who has known him for 10 years when we lived with my mother) and asked her opinion ... same as yours .. Cystophan was as important as additional water so give Blackie Felix - in jelly only.

I have tried Thrive on Blackie and he absolutely LOVES it. Must admit, it does smell good. But its expensive (naturally) so can't afford to feed him on it all the time.

Blackie was around 5.65kg at the time of his first bout - but is now 5.18kg so perhaps dropping a bit of weight has helped him too.

I do wonder sometimes whether I may have contributed to his FIC flaring up (after having, as far as I know, no bouts in the previous 10 years). When he came to live with us, I fed him with Felix in all sorts of flavours ... gravy, marinades, sauces ... thinking it was a nice change for him as Mum always gave him Felix in jelly. Add to that the huge changes in his life during 2013 .... I know much better now.