Cat Mandible/lower jaw question

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
shome1289
New Cat Chatter

Cat Mandible/lower jaw question

Post by shome1289 »

My 9 year old cat (female) is a bit overweight, which we are trying to fix by giving her less and healthier cat food. Besides that, I noticed today that the Mandible (bottom jaw) is moving in a way that, to me, doesn't seem right. I was looking at her teeth by gently pulling up on her whiskers, and noticed the 6 teeth between the canine (?) Teeth were off alignment quite a bit. Upon further investigation, the 3 teeth on either side move up and down pretty freely, independent of each other's side. The canine teeth also move along with each corresponding side. Basically, I am asking if it is normal for the bottom mandible to essentially be in 2 parts, left and right, with what appears to be a split in the middle, between the front two teeth, to allow opposite vertical movement of each side? It was a bit scary to me, being that us humans have a solid jaw, at least along the bottom - front teeth. Thanks in advance! I just don't want her to be in pain, however she did not move or anything when I was articulating it. There's literally a quarter-inch of movement from the left side in relation to the right side and vice versa going up and down...sorry if the description sounds a bit confusing, it's hard to explain...I can get a pic of the mandible and highlight where I'm talking about.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat Mandible/lower jaw question

Post by Meandmymunki »

Unless I have understood your description incorrectly, it sounds like she has broken her bottom jaw? The bottom jaw of a cat is commonly broken thru impact of car accidents etc, but if each side of her lower jaw moves independantly then you will need to get to a vet ASAP...... Good luck hope she is ok.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Purdy's jaw was broken like that. She had to have it wired. Get your girlie to the vets ASAP!
catzcatzcatz
New Cat Chatter

Post by catzcatzcatz »

Interesting reading this. We've just taken in a stray (assuming all goes well with the cat already here), and he had a wire on his jaw. No idea how long it was there.