Isolated Newcomer. Advice Please.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Isolated Newcomer. Advice Please.

Post by Topcat10 »

I've recently homed a rescued cat from local shelter. He's approximately 10 years and almost deaf. A very loving fella who seems to have settled in nicely. I've bought numerous pieces of furniture for him: A snug bed with his own blanket, a comfy pyramid with cushion, he's also welcome to (luxuriate) on my sofa. Despite all the above he chooses to spend his lazy time hidden behind the fridge in the kitchen! He loves sitting on my lap but when I'm not around when I come in or getting up in the morning all the comfy places are vacant and TC can be found behind the Frigidaire. Also with him being deaf he can't hear me calling. I have to wait until the aroma of the opened tin reaches his fluffy nose.
Any ideas please.
Keith....Topcat10s Dad.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Isolated Newcomer. Advice Please.

Post by Kay »

can you tell if he has just gone behind the fridge when you get up or come in? I'm wondering if the sudden putting on of the light startles him, or do you drive up to the door, with headlights shining in the window. perhaps? have you got up in the night without putting on any lights to see where he is?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi Keith. and welcome. Well done homing an oldie with "special needs". It sounds to me like he still feels very anxious, particularly when you're not there. I'd let him hide as much as he wants to be honest, maybe even make it a bit more comfortable for him there. Once he's realised this is HIS new home and that he's really safe, he will feel the need to hide less and less. It's even more challenging to a deaf cat, as he can't hear if "threats" are coming, so just to be on the safe side, he hides where he "knows" he's safe until he learns that all his fears are unfounded, and only time will do that.

It's great that he's bonded so well with you though, so you must be doing something right. And don't worry about him ignoring all the expensive beds you've bought for him - cats are well known for doing that!

I haven't had a deaf cat (blind yes, deaf no), so I can't offer advice from my own experience, but many on here have been through this. I gather tapping on the floor is a good way of getting their attention without making them jump. Perhaps help him learn by tapping behind him and when he turns round in response, give him a treat, so he'll know the vibrations mean something nice.

Just give him time, keep reassuring him and spending quality time with him, but do it on his terms for a while until he feels more settled in.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Hi Keith how lovely you've given this gentle old boy a loving home. I agree that he is probably feeling pretty anxious when he can't see you so hides where he feels safer plus it's probably warm by the fridge (one of mine loves lying on the worktop over the fridge). Give him time and try playing with him around his new beds with toys he can see maybe hiding treats in them and putting some catnip in. He will soon settle in o but on he own terms. One of my very old girls was totally deaf by the time she passed away at almost 23. She spent the last few years of her life in her bed up on the tops of cupboards or the desk where she felt safer away from sudden attacks from one of our other cats - he was almost blind when he died in Nov and it seems hard to remember him making her life a misery back in the day :-) They adapt very well to handicaps but helping him with his new surroundings will make him settle in much quicker. Good luck.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've rehomed several oldies, and it does seem to take them longer to really feel confident and settle in - you can imagine their life has suddenly turned upside down after having got used to certain routines. If he's found a safe warm spot he's happy in, I'd leave him to it - he may well finally abandon it in the warmer weather. As has been said, just give him time. And good on you! :)
Topcat10
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Topcat10 »

A genuine thanks to the kind folks who gave me sound advice and ideas regarding my old chap seeking refuge behind the fridge. You've eased my concerns!
Keith....TCs Dad.