constantly biting and scratching owner

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ragdollragdoll1
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

constantly biting and scratching owner

Post by ragdollragdoll1 »

My cat Stella is constantly biting and scratching me.She is an American domestic Shorthair cat. I have her now close to 13 months. I got her just 2 weeks shy of her first birthday.I am always saying Stella no when she gets into stuff that I know is going to hurt her or she hurt me.When she does bite and scratch me I put her in time out like my vet mention to me.I think she loves time out. I even tried spraying her with water but she loves it and water. I been doing it now for almost 13 months. I would love to get her to be more friendly to me. There might be a rare day that she doesn't do that to me. When it happens I hope that she can get it through without scratching or biting me for a a few week. Than the next day she does the scratching and biting over again. I would love to have the bedroom door open at night instead of closing it because of her scratching and biting. I know I talk loud because that is the way I talk. I try to talk softly but she doesn't hear me when I am calling her for food or time to play.I hug her all the time and tell her that I love her and I will protect her from any harm that comes her way. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestion that might help me to stop her from biting and scratching me.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: constantly biting and scratching owner

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi.......You MUST be more patient with her....spraying her with water for this behaviour is almost cruel and I totally disagree with you.....I have an 8 year old plus rescue cat, who bites and 'bunny kicks' all the time ,though it can be sharp at times, it is a sign of affection...they do not mean to hurt you, sorry but I feel so sorry for this poor little cat.......
ragdollragdoll1
New Cat Chatter

I know she like me. I stop spraying her with water when it didn't work after 5 trys.Which I forgot to add in the last post. She is always kissing me and I know she is the most affectionate cat you would ever me. Even when I broke my shoulder she play nurse maid to me. I am wondering if this is her way of being playful and to get my attention.She is my second cat. She is more active and playful than my 1st cat. I had my first cat since she was 10 weeks til she passed away in 2013 at the age of 14 1/2 years. I am training Stella to be an indoor cat after being and outdoor cat. She learn so far that she can not got out unless I take her out.Here is a little bit of Stella history before I got her. A 2 year old who was constantly grabbing her tail and she was always hiding from the other cat and a dog in that house because she was scare of them.She now lives with me and she is the only cat. I am a patient person. Stella also has eye and ears problems so I am trying to figure out the bites it is because she is having a problem with her eyes or ears or it is playful.She is the most lovable cat you can possibly meet. I love her and I do not want anything to happen to her.I want her to live with me for the next 15 years or more.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Is she spayed?
ragdollragdoll1
New Cat Chatter

yes, she was spay before I got her.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by geckodiva »

I have a 9 month old kitten who also likes to bite. And remembering back my two 18 year old also liked to bite and rabbit kick when they were playing, either with me or each other. I would say that as long as Stella isn't showing any other aggressive behaviour, hissing for example, then it could just be normal play behaviour.
All cats are different. The two oldies are sisters from the same litter, Tat cuddles all the time yet Pudding hates being picked up and just complains and struggles to get away with all claws out, even after all these years.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

This sounds exactly like Daphne. She came to us as an almost feral stray aged about 6 months - at first it was impossible to touch her and with 2 other cats I was really sure we'd done the wrong thing taking her on. Nearly 3 years later she still hisses, bites and scratches and the only time I can pick her up is at bedtime when she comes upstairs with me and has her biscuits. I use that time to pick her up, give her a quick cuddle and tickle and then put her down for her supper. She will also let my husband tickle her as she eats a few biscuits but then will lash out or bite him. And yet I know she is totally devoted to me as she needs to be around me or know where I am at all times (rather a worry when I have to go away). She is a lot better than those early days but we have got used to her boundaries now and respect her limits. You probably still need to do the same with Stella but why not let her in the bedroom if that is what she and you want? You could take her food and water in with you and also try the plug in Fellaway to try and help sooth her. I have just obtained some Bach's flower remedy as well to try - there are various types for different types of behaviour - I've got the Vine for Daphne which helps with aggression and Aspen for Max who is having some behavioural problems. If you check out the web you can see which you think would suit - I bought mine from Holland and Barratt which I think is probably cheaper than online. Don't give up on her - she loves you in her own way!