Vibes For Hector

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Vibes For Hector

Post by meriad »

greenkitty wrote:Perfectly well behaved and greeted all four of them with a purr and headbutt :)
awww, what a good boy - be they don't get that many of those there.

greenkitty wrote:One good thing about seeing The Supervet programme I know that they look after the animals really well and often spend time sitting with them, hopefully he'll get some of that treatment too.
I'm very sure they will Julia, they seem to be really good that way.

No doubt it's going to be a long night for you; but fingers crossed for good news tomorrow x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm sure they will look take good care of him, Julia.

Since both Daz and Basil have spent time as inpatients at my vet surgery, and because I keep picking up waifs and strays from them, I've seen for myself what good care the nurses take of their patients behind the scenes. I once found Daz's care chart had 'GIVE EXTRA CUDDLES' on it in big letters (he does love his cuddles), and I know one of the nurses used to spend part of her breaks sitting with Basil when he first came in with his broken leg, because he was shocked and scared and all he seemed to want to do was sit on a lap.

Obviously, you'd much rather he was at home with you, but from what I've seen the nurses there are as good, if not better than the ones at my surgery, and the accommodation is A1. He couldn't be in safer, kinder hands. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

They've done his scan, he's got a brain tumour:(
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh no Julia, what awful news. I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say. I've been through similar with Mitz, and the whole world seems to stand still. Thinking about you. Stay strong.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Julia. Can't believe it. Such a shock. Don't know what to say. You must be completely stunned. So sorry. Thinking of you Xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh no, poor Hector - that's so unfair. I don't know what to say. (((hugs)))

Have you had a chance to find out what that actually means in terms of possible treatments or timescales?

I'm reeling ..... Lord only knows how you must feel. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh I cannot believe I am reading this.....I just don't know what to say, I am completely in shock, I am sitting here in tears .....Is there anything that can be done ?.....My heart goes out to you.....
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

It depends on what type of tumour it is, one is relatively easy to remove and the other isn't, both will come back even with radiation treatment so it would possibly buy him some time but it's a lot to put him through with all his other health problems to contend with only for it all to come back again. The other option is palliative care, they can give him drugs to help control the effects the tumour is having. They've already upped his steroids today.

Anna, do you mind me asking what you did for Mitz, I'm sorry I can't remember which route you took.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Julia, I am so sorry for your darling boy. What terrible news. My heart is breaking for you. Please tell Hector how many people care deeply about him. Hugs to you. Xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

I really don't know what to say other than we are here for you (((hugs))) xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm sorry to say that with Mitz his was a tumour in his chest cavity, which by the time we found it was very advanced and untreatable. They kept him in for a few days but he passed away at home the day I brought him back, as it was only the drip that was keeping going . I do hope the prognosis is better for Hector, but tbh most cancer treatments are so tough on the cat, I would tend to go for palliative care if there's no real likelihood of a successful outcome with surgery. If you could buy him a reasonable amount of quality time with a fairly quick recovery, it might be worth thinking about though. I do feel for you. I tend to think quality should always be the decider, not quantity. I know you'll do what's right for Hector, and put him first, whatever you decide.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Thanks Anna, I'm just not sure I can put him through anything further when he's already been through so much, it's a big ask for an already poorly puss.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Julia, we chose paliative care when 'cc' had oral cancer, which I believe is far more agressive a tumour, we took him home for the weekend with his steroids, to say our goodbyes, I totally agree that its quality, not quantity, if Hector can be reasonably happy for a while with palliative care, then that would decide it for me, if they feel that even with the drugs he may be uncomfortable, then you can make the decision based on their intepretation of that.......there are so many questions you need answering before you can decide what would be best...personally, I would definitely be looking at palliative care......you are in all our thoughts....xxxxx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

(((((Julia))))

I really have nothing useful to say other than I am deeply shocked by this dreadful news.

My only experience for what it is worth is when Luna had lymphoma we gave chemo a go. At the time we felt we were giving her a chance. It bought an extra couple of months, at most.

I sometimes think back and wonder in hindsight would I have put her through it? At the time we were given the option for surgery to attempt to remove some of the tumour, but we were against that idea.

I am sure you will do what's best for your boy.

Fusses to him from me and the gang xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

If it's any help, I totally agree with the 'quality not quantity' ethos.

The only cancer I've had to deal with was Alpha's oral cancer and, like Hector, Alpha had already been through so much having lost both her eyes to glaucoma. She was 12. Some cats just do seem to get dealt a rotten hand with their health.

The vet convinced me to have it cut back once, the tumour was on her upper jaw, we'd found it quite early during a routine dental and at first it was mostly growing into her mouth and making it difficult for her to eat. The op was relatively simple and no more invasive than a dental, and she was back home within 6 hours. That bought her about 3 months of summer in the garden, and I never regretted having done that, but if the surgery had been more involved, or the cancer more advanced at the time, I don't think I'd have put her through it. The vet and I both thought that any other treatment for the cancer was too big an ask for her.

Hopefully you'll find it easier to come to a decision when you have more info from the vets, but you know him best. I know you'll make the right decision for him.

(((hugs)))
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh good God Julia, after all he has already gone through, what a terrible shock.

I don't know what to say, other than we are here for you and you are in our thoughts, you and Hector.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Julia, I too am so very sorry. Poor Hector really has had such a tough time of it recently.

For what it's worth, I - same as the others (and I know you do to) - agree with the quality vs quantity aspect of things. I also very much know that whatever it is you decide it'll 100% be the right decision for Hector.

Thinking of you and remember we are all here for you and Hector x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry that the news wasn't better, seems so unfair. How can they tell what kind of tumour, and how long do they think he could have before it comes back? I know where you are coming from with his other health issues, but if it's the easy one and he could have a decent amount of quality time, it may be worth it. Whatever you decide will be the right thing, because it will be done out of love x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Sorry Julia :(

Poor Hector and you have been through so much. It just isn't fair :(

I also have bad news but will update Laz's thread.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thinking of you and Hector today, Julia, I am sure you will make the right decision for your boy....xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

My God it's been a tough week for Cat Chat cats. Thinking of you here too, Julia.

From memory, it's the decision making that's the hardest bit - that's the bit that causes all the agonising and soul searching. Once you're on a path it's still not easy, but you just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you get through it. (((hugs)))
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I am so very sorry

I think in these situations you can only think what is best for the cat - would the cat chose surgery, lots of vet visits, and multiple medications for a bit of extra time? if a young otherwise fit cat has a chance of many more healthy years then the choice is easier

keeping our beloved pets comfortable and happy at home at the end of their lives is usually the kindest thing for them and ourselves
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Yes I think the decision making is the worst part. My parents have been over this morning and dragged me out for lunch, although I didn't want to go I needed a breather from it all.

I have an appointment at 4.15 to collect Hector and bring him home, I'm 80% there in my decision making process but just want to discuss a couple of things with the vet. Hector had a comfortable night, he'd eaten all his breakfast and was loving all the fusses from everyone, love my boy x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Julia,

Whatever you do, we all know it will be in the best interests of Hector, such a difficult time for you all, hopefully the vet will be able to allay any concerns you have and help you make the decision, Hector sounds like he is loving the fuss ...bless him...xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Dear Julia

You are quite right. Making decisions is the hardest part. You have a great support team with your vets. They will help you to make the right decision.

Hopefully there is a way to give Hector some more quality time

Val x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thinking of you and Hector. I know whatever you decide will be in his best interests. x
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

We're home, I have all the information I need to make the decision. Laurent the vet was fabulous, spoke in simple terms and explained every option thoroughly. I saw his scan and the mass is taking up about a third of his cerebellum so it's sizeable. Hector has been a bit hyper but has eaten, had a wee and every fuss has been passed on.

We're going to have a quiet evening and hopefully a good nights sleep, I'm trying to have a night off decision making and just enjoy spending the evening with him, will think again in the morning with a fresh head as I feel wrung out with it all. I have the weekend to make my mind up.

Just pleased to have him home. Thanks again for being here for us, it means a lot to be able to talk things through with like minded people.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Good luck with making your decision, I think just having cuddles with him tonight is the best idea, as you say, you have all weekend for that
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Take a rest now.......

Hector is no doubt happy to be home....the weekend is ahead of you, take that time to make your decision...in the meantime, spoil the little fella rotten and make the most of every moment......bless you....xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

You must be so pleased to have him home! You're right, just spend some quality time with him for a couple of days and think about it when you've had a rest and it's not all quite so raw. You must feel wrung out after this week. (((hugs)))

Give him a gentle fuss from me and my gang. xx