Excessive drooling - is it an emergency?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Suze81
Returning Cat Chatter

Excessive drooling - is it an emergency?

Post by Suze81 »

Hi, can anyone offer any advice?

My cat started excessively drooling last night. He's never done this before. He's only 2 years old - he's been off his food for a few months (thought he was just being fussy) and I've now found a brand that he will eat. He could have a small lump under his right eye that has developed in the last few weeks (or he could have always had it and I've just noticed) and now last night he started drooling. He seems fine otherwise, still going out (he's an outdoor cat) he's now eating, he purrs when on my knee) but I'm now quite worried - it's 5am and I keep finding pools of drool all over the house. Is something seriously wrong with him?

If anyone else is awake if appreciate any advice - should I wait for the vets to open at 8am or should I call an emergency line?

Thank you!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Excessive drooling - is it an emergency?

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome, I would just pop him along to the vets this morning to check those things out.

Regarding drooling, I had a cat who suddenly drooled excessively and he had a bone caught across the top of the inside of his mouth and we rushed him to the emergency vet that night but we could see it. However, he also drooled loads when being petted as some cats do.

Let us know how you get on.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Suze

Please get him to the vet as soon as you can, my last boy did this excessively, it turned uot that he had a tumour on his tongue, it was heartbreaking for us, not saying that this will be the case for you, but you must really get him to a vet to rule out anything bad, our vet also told us that cats can purr when they are in pain, to comfort themselves, as he used to purr quite often at the time and we thought he was content.

Please let us know how you get on.....x
Suze81
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Suze81 »

Thank you both - the vets opens in 9 minutes so I'm hoping they'll see him this morning. I'm so worried! I'll let you know what happens x
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Hey Suze, good luck and let us know how you get on! My cat Harvey did this once and it turned out he'd licked up some cleaning fluid. The vet gave him the all clear and thankfully it wasn't enough to do him any serious harm but his tongue blistered a little and he drooled for about 48 hours. Everything was very tightly locked away after that episode!

Poor little weenie!
Suze81
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Suze81 »

Thanks!

Just back from the vets - not the most reassuring trip ever - no abscess, no infection, no temperature, no explanation for the lump or the drooling, except that he has a very low pulse for a cat. The vet is baffled and a little concerned. She's given him (Wesley) antibiotics for the lump, just in case. I have to stay home and monitor him today - if he's no better and/or the drooling persists, we have to go back for blood works tomorrow - at worst it could be congenital liver disease or another condition I can't remember the name of - but they would be extremely rare for a cat of his age! :(

He's definitely not had any cleaning products or anything like that inside the flat, but could have licked or eaten something outside that's caused it. Fingers crossed he gets better soon!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Thanks for updating. We will keep fingers and paws crossed here that the jab works, and hope that Wesley is much better soon. Keep us posted please.
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

You say you found pools of drool...could this be vomit...Bailey sometimes threw up clear slightly frothy liquid...could you have mistaken this for drool?
Poor lamb hope he feels better soon....
Suze81
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Suze81 »

Hmm it is possible that the night ones could have been clear vomit, but yesterday evening and today I've been with him all the time and it's definitely drool!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

All the best, Wes! Paws crossed!

You too Suze :)

The vet sounds very thorough. I've always preferred the vets who admit that they're not sure - but that they'll get cracking with the detective work, to the kind that shut you out of the full details of the case and act like experts even when they may not know what's going on. The kind of vet who takes you into their confidence and discusses every detail with you is, in my experience, the sort who walks the extra mile, and I've known some brilliant vets.

Hope all goes well and all best wishes meanwhile in this worrying time x
Suze81
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Suze81 »

Thank you! He's asleep on my knee just now - the drooling *appears* to be slowing - so fingers crossed he's just eaten something funny outside!
Attachments
image.jpg
(108.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Awww bless him he's gorgeous!

and he will feel better I am sure knowing he has someone who cares so much.

Snuggles from me xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

To offer a glimmer of comfort, I had this with one of my cats years ago - drool just pouring continuously from her mouth forming puddles. Really distressing. She was a bit subdued as well. The vet couldn't find anything obvious and gave her an injection that he described as a "tonic", although looking back on it I suspect it was a general purpose anti-biotic, and she did pick up after a day or two and was fine afterwards. He reckoned she'd probably ingested something slightly toxic in her travels. I do hope Wesley picks up soon, and that it doesn't prove to be anything more nasty.
Suze81
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Suze81 »

Thank you Lilynmitz - that really does help! I do think he's getting a bit better - hopefully this is the same as yours!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless him - he looks comfy and happy in that pic, what a gorgeous guy!

Glad the drooling's slowed down and hope he's on the mend now! :)
Suze81
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Suze81 »

Good news - the drooling appears to have stopped - touch wood! Looks like it might just have been a spot of poison/toxin. Sounds ridiculous to be pleased about that - but it's so much better than the alternative! Thank you everyone for your kind words and support - I was so stressed out about it all!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi suze

That's great news ! :D

Come on Wesley keep getting better . . Well done x
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I'm really glad to hear that :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yaay! Grrreat! Very glad to hear! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I missed this, but so pleased he's better. :)