Constant scratching on wardrobe door

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Roscoe32
Frequent Cat Chatter

Constant scratching on wardrobe door

Post by Roscoe32 »

Wondered if anyone had some advice. Our 1.5 year old cat Jeff has acquired a weird annoying habit in the early hours of the morning. He sits by the white gloss painted wardrobe doors in our bedroom and runs his paws along them to make a really irritating scratching. Thing is he seems to do it with his claws in. At first I thought it was a 'wake up and feed me' behaviour but he comes right back and carries on after he's been fed. I then thought that he just wanted to get inside so I opened the door but he stares at the inside for a bit then scratches the inside of the door. It seems to be another odd phase and before this he pawed the side of the bed. Both surfaces are right by my head. Thing is you shut him out the bedroom and he does the same to the bedroom door. I'm also in an open plan house so it's not like I can put him elsewhere at night but also I don't want to as he's used to coming and going as he likes. He's always had odd habits, he used to jump on the bed at 4am and incessantly lick me and my girlfriend and turn in circles. We wonder if he was weaned off his mother too early. Aside from these oddities he's a lovely boy I just wondered if anyone had some advice on how we can train him to stop the irritating pawing of wardrobe doors! Thanks.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Constant scratching on wardrobe door

Post by bobbys girl »

Roscoe32 wrote: I just wondered if anyone had some advice on how we can train him to stop the irritating pawing of wardrobe doors!
If anyone has the answer, I'd like to know too!

Willow has always had a thing for the wardrobe. Sometimes we forget she is there and get woken by the door squeeking open. Purdy lets us know she wants to go out by scratching at the covers on the OH's side of the bed. If that doesn't work, she walks across the pillow and pulls my hair.

Grace tries to get in my wardrobe but the hinge is sprung, so she gets so far and it bangs shut.

It is no good trying to keep them out of the bedroom, Willow can open the door. She does it by vibrating it in it's frame until it comes off the latch - sounds like an earthquake. She has taught the trick to Bobby. He explodes into the room and leaps on the bed. Quite how he does it with only one front leg, I don't know.

What I am saying is, you are not alone! :roll: It is not the same every night, but some nights I am surprised we get any sleep!
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Kitty (pictured) does the same. It is probably only about twice a week, but I'm not sure why. If I open the door and let her sniff inside sometimes this stops it, sometimes not.

Maybe we all have invisible bogeyman in our wardrobes? :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

mr_frisky wrote:Maybe we all have invisible bogeyman in our wardrobes? :D
never thought of that! :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

or skeletons?

any mice died in that wardrobe recently?
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Not in mine. It's just full of jackets which she likes to slalom through, leaving a trail of white fur on each one!