Had to have my 20 year old cat pts

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Carol-loves-cats
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 9

Had to have my 20 year old cat pts

Post by Carol-loves-cats »

Will explain the last few months, she had an episode of sniffing and circling like she was looking for a lost treat i had been out walking my dog and came home to find her like this? I took her to the vet and they ran lots of blood tests everything came back normal including thyroid. But her heart was rapid so they started her on atenlol.
Then 2 weeks ago she started sniffing and circling i drove her to the vet and by the time i arrived she had snapped back to normal. They said could be neurological or leison on the brain. Then 2 days ago she was walking towards i noticed her legs at the back slide out abit stiff and then the circling ans sniffing, i took her back to the vets still in that state of sniffing/circling, she had lost weight again, i decided with the vet it was kinder to pts but i feel so guilty as between episodes she seemed fine, but i never knew when the next one was or how long the current one would last?
Has anyone else experienced this behaviour in there cat?
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Had to have my 20 year old cat pts

Post by Themogfather »

So sad for your loss.
I had to take a similar decision with my cat Barney and i know how hard it is.
Your cat was suffering during these attacks and from what you say they were getting more frequent. You consulted the vet and took the brave decision to stop your cat suffering even if the suffering was intermitant.
Sending love from me and head butts and purrs from Beauty and Lilly.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, Carol.

I had to put my girl Mischa to sleep a couple of months ago due to impending kidney failure (she was nearly 19). Feeling guilty is normal, but please give it time - it will get better. As mentioned, it seems these attacks (whatever they were) were becoming more frequent, and you wouldn't have wanted your cat to suffer.

RIP at Rainbow Bridge, dear puss, my Mischa will look after you. And a big {hug} to you, Carol.
Carol-loves-cats
Returning Cat Chatter

Thank you for your replies, i have 9 other cats and she was our eldest, the youngest our foster kitten 4.5 months who is not going anywhere as we love her to bits.
Due to be spayed on tuesday as like i sure everyone on here we are against breeding!

With misty our recently pts cat, i had closed the cat flap so she couldn't get into garden incase she had an episode out side as we wouldnt have know, i was worried if she had one while up on the window sill and feel off breaking her legs etc. Also she was eating loads and losing weight even though the thyroid was normal, she had an ear infection that was not going dispite drops ....... So why do i feel like we have killed her, other cats have we have had the discision was made whilst in vets on in a collasped state etc so i was the only thing to do?
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

So sorry for your loss as well - its such a difficult decision to make but it does sound in this case as though it was the right one. It doesn't make it any easier though and the guilt of 'what if' will stay with you for a while.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

at 20 she was very much living on borrowed time, which shows how much you must have cared for her - I know it's not easy, but try to think good thoughts of those 20 years, and not dwell on her last few hours
Carol-loves-cats
Returning Cat Chatter

Thank you all, i think may be i should have seen how long this one lasted again, but it upset me so much to she her going in circles, and been like that. I did not want to come home one day and find her collasped. It just making the final discision thats hard and so final.