Glucosamine?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Hav
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Glucosamine?

Post by Hav »

Just wondered if anyone had any experience in using glucosamine for their arthritic cats? Our girl is 16 and walks stiffly. Vet suggested metacam but stressed not to use it long term. Due to it's connection to kidney problems I think.
She can still jump on to the sofa and run up the stairs, however she tends to take her time jumping off the sofa pacing up and down looking for the shortest drop!
I've read people use glucosamine so wondered if any one had any experience of using it.
And was there any significant improvement?
Thanks in advance x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Glucosamine?

Post by Kay »

it can, I understand, be very effective as a preventative, to stave off arthritis, but once the damage is done it doesn't reverse it, nor does it act as a pain reliever, as far as I am aware - others may know more about it than me

your girl actually sounds pretty good for her age, but a few strategically placed aids to help her up and down might help - I have a couple of those step stools I use myself, and I have moved a favourite cat tree to a place where it can be accessed from the arm of the sofa - cats do like to observe the world from above floor level, so anything which helps your girl to continue to do so may be more beneficial than medication

having said that I don't hesitate to resort to Metacam myself to relieve actual pain
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Buster has supplements for his arthritis, as the only has one kidney, we are staying off Metacam as long as possible. The vet said seraquin are the most palatable, he's gone off those now though. My neighbour noticed a difference using Hills JD diet for her arthritic cat and both her and Buster get a Catrophen injection regularly, might be worth asking about that, they aren't expensive.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

My old girl Molly has really bad arthritis. Unfortunately she never really took to any of the glucosamine supplements. What I did do with / for her was acupuncture combined with pain relief as well as a heat pad which then was upgraded to a heated bed which she absolutely loved!, http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... ated%20bed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . And the combination of those three worked really well for quite some time.

Regarding jumping up and down the sofa, could you put something along the side of the sofa that she could use as a step? That would be a huge help for her. Again it's something I did for Molly - I had a storage box by the side of my bed so she could get up easier.

Regarding the Metacam; yes it's not ideal long term but there comes a time when you have to weigh up the quality of your girls life vs the quantity and personally I think that at 16 your cat deserves to live out her years pain free and comfortable. I'd be tempted to have another word with the vet again re Metacam; it made such a difference to my Molly and she was on it for quite a few years. just make sure you have regular blood tests done to monitor the kidneys.

With Molly I had to stop the Metacam when her appetite deteriorated and I struggled to get it into her because it needs to be given either with or preferable after food. The last few months of her life (she was 21 when I lost her) we took her off the Metacam because of tummy issues and put her on Prednisolone which is a steroid; which worked OK but not as good as the Metacam.

Fusses to your girl
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

The only arthritis product that has seems to have worked for our two old girls is Yumove Advance for Cats. It has a lot of the same ingredients that are in other products but this particular combination has worked really well.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

P.S. Rosie loves her heated bed too!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Fluffy has StridePlus for cats. It's a liquid that can be mixed in with her food. Seems to help her. I also have steps for her to get onto her favourite chair and several other homemade contraptions for her to get onto the bed and the sofa. As well as helping her climb up they also help her avoid jumping down and putting added pressure on her joints when landing.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Just last night I read a research paper on the effects of glucosamine actually! The effects are unproven in humans (untested in cats). The marketing companies make lots of unfounded claims.
having said that, a close friend with serious joint problems swears by it, and it won't harm your cat. worth a try I reckon....... Just because something is unproven doesn't mean it doesn't work.

In humans, the effect is said to be a placebo, so if you start her on it, take actual notes of her movement, to see if it makes any difference. The steps and measures to make her more comfortable are probably the best thing you can do IMO. I understand the concerns about long-term metacam...... One of those situations where you have to balance quality and length of life. I had it with an elderly drake a while back. I ended up using the meta am daily as otherwise he would have been in pain constantly.