Question about Semintra for CRD

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Question about Semintra for CRD

Post by Marla »

This is a question for MarkB or anyone else whose cat is on Semintra.

Flo (17) has hyperthyroidism and CRD. I asked our vet about Semintra. She said she would only prescribe Semintra or Fortekor if Flo has protein in her urine.

She said that if the test showed protein in Flo's urine, she would have to repeat the test to be sure. (?)

She said that if Flo has protein in her urine and her BP is OK, then she could prescribe Semintra. But if she has protein in her urine and high BP, she would have to prescribe Fortekor. (?)

Does this sound right to you?

Thanks in advance!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Question about Semintra for CRD

Post by MarkB »

Hi Marla,

It does kind of sound right. My vet said one of the things Semintra does is to prevent protein loss. At the same time, he said he is switching cats over from Fortekor to Semintra as it is far superior to Fortekor for kidney disease. He describes it as 'nipping it in the bud'. It is a tough one as I seem t be getting conflicting info. Carol said Semintra reduced Fluffy's BP, but my vet said it has little or no effect on it.

Not 100% on this, but I think my vet would prescribe Semintra + Amlodipine, which is what Laz is on (as well as Felimazole) I guess it would depend how high the BP was.

As I understand it, Fortekor was developed for heart disease and the fact that it helped kidney disease was just a bonus. Semintra was the first drug developed specifically for kidney disease.

Sorry, that isn't much help, is it?

PS - Laz hasn't actually been diagnosed with kidney disease, but my vet said he has 'old kidneys' and that Semintra will help protect them.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

MarkB wrote:Sorry, that isn't much help, is it?
Yes it is! Thanks Mark. I don't know whether you have picked up on my thread about Tommy, but we just found out that he has CKD. He is on Semintra and so far is making good progress. A lot more his old self.

It is also easy to administer, just squirt it on a little wet food. Tommy is impossible to pill! :shock:
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Thanks Mark, that is VERY helpful! :) I'll take her in for those tests and press the vet for Semintra and if necessary Amlodipine!
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Bobbys Girl, did your vet test for protein in Tommy's urine before prescribing it?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Marla, sorry to hear about Flo's health problems. Fluffy has had CKD for three years. As Mark says she is now on Semintra. Prior to that she was on fortekor and amlopidine. My vet contacted me to suggest the switch over to Semintra as he said it was supposed to be better than fortekor and the side effect was reduction in blood pressure. The first blood pressure test she had after being on Semintra showed a considerable improvement. However the second one she had several months later showed it had gone up again. Still just within the normal range but higher end. She's due another BP check soon. Really hope Flo starts to improve. Keep us updated.

Mark, I really wish I knew for sure whether Semintra was helping Fluffy's BP. It's interesting what your vet says about it not affecting their BP. I'm thinking about asking for her to go back on fortekor and Amlopidine at her next check up. They were much easier to get down her with the help of a bit of webbox stick. It's so difficult when you get conflicting opinions from vets.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Thanks HRHFluffy. Have booked Flo in for more tests.

Caught her eating cat litter twice today so that's another concern. I'm so worried about her. :(
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Let's hope the tests will help with her treatment. Eating of litter is worrying. Apparently it can be a sign of several ailments; anaemia, kidney disease, mineral deficiency. Many on here will know far more than I do. The important thing is that she's booked in with your vet. Maybe give them a ring to ask about the eating of litter and whether she needs to be brought in any sooner. Thinking of you both.

Carol

p.s. eating of cat litter can also be a symptom of hyperthyroidism.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Thanks Carol. We're taking her in tomorrow as neither of the vets we see was available today.

It's reassuring that the cat litter eating could be a symptom of hyperthyroidism. Her last blood test showed that her dose of Felimazole was no longer enough, so we're slowly increasing her dose.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Forgot to mention that I did tell them about her eating cat litter.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Sounds like it could be due to her dosage not quite being right at the moment. Let's hope so. It's good that the vets didn't see the need to hurry her in when you mentioned the eating of litter. A worrying wait for you though in the meantime. It's worth it to see a vet that knows Flo and has already been treating her. Fusses to your girl.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Thanks Carol. They didn't seem to think it was urgent and she's not lethargic. In fact, she's just come in to tell me she wants lunch!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Marla wrote:Bobbys Girl, did your vet test for protein in Tommy's urine before prescribing it?
Not sure about that. :? But he gave us the impression that he was fine to take it and has given us some plastic 'litter' to obtain a sample for them to test in a month. We have been given full instructions on how to use it but I can see it is still going to be fun. He only uses the one tray but both Bob and Willow use that one to. So far so good.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I never had any luck with the plastic litter. Now, when I need a sample, I just get a clean tupperware type tub and catch Laz as he squats to pee :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

MarkB wrote:I just get a clean tupperware type tub and catch Laz as he squats to pee :)
Sounds good in theory.... I'm just trying to imagine doing that to twitchy Tommy. Every senario ends with a trail of pee down the hall and a traumatised Tommy! In any case I know we'll have fun :roll: