Bath obsession!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Bath obsession!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Our 6 month old kitten Kevin has a new obsession...the bath! So far he's only been in it while it's empty, although my husband had to remove him from a precarious perch while I was in it tonight! He loves the bubbles and the water, but I'm really scared it might scald him if he fell in.

Even weirder is that literally as soon as the bath had drained he was back in it, and layed down!!

He seems fine in himself so I don't think the residue did him any harm! Does anyone else have any experience of this?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Bath obsession!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - bless him! I have a Mouse in the house - you have a Mouse in the bath eh?

When I was in my teens I had a longhaired tortie, Saada, who loved the bath - she'd watch the water going down and then jump in and paddle, ankle deep.

My first Siamese Jacinth, once she'd got over her shock ('you've taken off all your fur! You've got into that Deep Water!') used to lie on my chest while I was in the bath, even though she got a bit soggy at the edges herself.

My old tomcat Finn used to sit on the side of the bath and PERV at me lol. But he never got in.

Turkish Van Cats actually enjoy a swim. I don't think a bit of bathwater will hurt Kevin - do you think he's fascinated by the warmth after the water's gone down?

I've read that people who bath their cats (the people who show longhaired cats - poor cats!- for instance) find that the cats appreciate temperatures equal to human baths (I may be wrong here as I've no experience of bathing cats except for reading but I gather cats' body temps are similar to ours) so even if Kevin jumped in, I don't think a comfortable bath for a human would scald him. Jacinth never seemed to bother, I must say.

And most cats LOVE an (empty) bath to play in - one bath, one cat, one bit of screwed up paper - solo ping pong lol :D
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Thanks! I'd not thought about the warmth, but he did lay down straight away so you may be right! He obviously doesn't mind getting wet as he's got a water fountain in the kitchen that he loves splashing in and flicking water everywhere!

The water temperature comments are reassuring. I'm not going to encourage him in, but I won't worry too much if he does fall in!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Oh and our nickname for Kevin is Mouse!! So yes we have a mouse in the bath!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

We had a cast iron bath in our old house, and Grumpy Nellie used to like to lie in it on hot summer days. :)