Flea/tick advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Clarekuzniar
Frequent Cat Chatter

Flea/tick advice

Post by Clarekuzniar »

Try stronghold the vets said, it's better than frontline they said hence the price difference. So now we have our first tick, does this mean he may have fleas too?
(I was on here before with a old email couldn't remember login details so have set up again)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Flea/tick advice

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I can't really comment on what flea treatment's better, but I'm concerned about that tick.

If you're using a regular flea treatment, then the instructions should say if it kills ticks. I don't think fleas automatically accompany ticks but if a cat roams, there's always the chance of it picking up fleas.

When I owned dogs, one of them picked up a tick; I'd no experience of these disgusting creatures and to my shame only realised when the dog started limping, with a swollen grey thing attached to the affected leg. I consulted one of my pet books and dripped surgical spirit on to the tick's head, which worked a treat - the tick died instantly and withdrew its mouthpiece. This is crucial, because if the tick is killed and pulled off without being given chance to withdraw all those black whiskery bits, there's a fair chance of infection. A while later I found a hedgehog with a tick while walking; all I had was a badge with a sharp pin; I stuck the pin into the tick and it dropped off intact but that may have been just luck.

I wouldn't like to use surgical spirit on a cat or chance the pin method though and unless your cat's protected by a flea/tick treatment and the tick's dropped off by now, I'd really recommend the vet from my own point of view - but other people on here may know of a good home remedy for ticks, and save you the vet visit and the dosh, do hope so, good luck :)
Clarekuzniar
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Clarekuzniar »

My friend who is way more experienced than me with ticks is coming round lunchtime to take it off, we are not going to attempt it.
I came down this morning to a rug full of fur and he was scratching in the night, I had a frontline left so put that on him so will get some flea spray for the house I am worried he has them lol
So my experience of strong hold is its rubbish I wouldn't spend the extra money!
Clarekuzniar
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Clarekuzniar »

Can anyone recommend a flea spray for the house, I have been told RIP is a good one, I would rather put my mind at rest that I have it all covered than assume its just one tick :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We live in cattle country, ticks are a way of life -little blood sucking bxxxxxs! I would not blame the Stronghold completely. It doesn't seem to matter what we use, some of the little sods still get through. We have had occasions when they have attached to a cat, started sucking, been poisoned, died and were still holding on! :shock:

Even when treated, the cats can still carry ticks into the house. There are few things worse than sitting cuddling a cat and finding a tick crawling up your arm. AAAGGH
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Clarekuzniar wrote:Can anyone recommend a flea spray for the house, I have been told RIP is a good one, I would rather put my mind at rest that I have it all covered than assume its just one tick :(

Indorex is very good, I got some from my vets but also bought from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... Caps%2C184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;