Lumps on ears and bald patch on hind leg

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Carrie
New Cat Chatter

Lumps on ears and bald patch on hind leg

Post by Carrie »

My gorgeous and generally healthy rescue cat (couldn't get a picture to load :-() has a couple of skin issues. I noticed some lumps on one of her ears earlier this week. She doesn't let me look at them closely but they look like bites possibly. So we thought she had fleas and updated her flea protection, washed her toys and bedding and sprayed anti flea spray on her favourite places to sit. Tonight I've noticed that there are some bald patches on one of her hind legs. Again she won't let me get a proper look. Are these patches also an indication of fleas? Perhaps they have appeared because she is trying to get rid of them?

Any advice from those who have experience of this greatly received?
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Lumps on ears and bald patch on hind leg

Post by brigidrynne »

Carrie wrote:Are these patches also an indication of fleas? Perhaps they have appeared because she is trying to get rid of them?
It could be either. Have you noticed any over-grooming behaviour? Tiggy used to nibble at his fur to the extent that he had completely bald back legs and stomach! Otherwise, it could be a flea allergy.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I'm also thinking it could be a flea allergy. What flea treatment did you use?
Carrie
New Cat Chatter

Post by Carrie »

We just use Frontline which I got behind the counter at the supermarket. Perhaps it's best to take her to the vet - some of the pictures of the poor cats with a flea allergy look awful.

Thanks for your help.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Some cats are becoming to resistant to Frontline (there's been a few articles about it recently) so try getting a treatment from your vet instead, that should sort them out.
Carrie
New Cat Chatter

Post by Carrie »

Thanks - that is good to know. The vet thought she was absolutely fine. - but better to be safe than sorry!

Thanks so much for your help anyway.