cat colds- harpies

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

cat colds- harpies

Post by PeanutsFriend »

When I first adopted my 4 month old kitten from a shelter four years ago. He almost died. I took the innovative to strike out on my own rather relaying on the dim wit of a vet I was dealing with.
I bought fish antibiotics for his fever. I put it in his water. Not so much that he would taste it.
Got a Vicks vaporizer that I could afford.. Plug in thing. We still use that. The cold never goes away completely. Although, it is less.
That was a close call I never want to go through again...but will if would save a life
Handy thing to know
Jill
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat colds- harpies

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Jill...

I always remember my mom and dads old cat, Sadie, she got a terrible cold, after getting herself lost in a really bad spell of winter weather many years ago, when I was young. Dad took her to the vets and the vet immediately said it would be best to put her to sleep. Dad wanted to take her home and try one last thing......so he did...he sat up all night with her in front of the fire and dripped a little babys Calpol and warm milk and water into her mouth every hour throughout the night....she was 16 years old.........she lived to be 21 years old before she died..........xx
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I could understand the wanting to put fluids in the limp kitten. But that is only a reaction move not a preventive move. I was after curing the cat.
Did you know cats won't eat if they can't smell.
You can't breathe with a stuffy nose.
I almost lost Peanut the first month.
Once I got my wits about me, he was on the road to recovery.
Being on these kinds of sites help as well.
Sounds like your Dad could think on his feet too.. It worked.
Jill
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Just to point out that many human meds are poisonous to cats. Paracetamol can kill them (ie Calpol) http://www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/cat- ... l-to-cats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Sure that is possible. But who do you think they tested it out on first? I use stuff for fish. An old antibiotic. I have a list of options in my purse. I post the list when I find it.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

JulieandBarney wrote:I always remember my mom and dads old cat, Sadie, she got a terrible cold, after getting herself lost in a really bad spell of winter weather many years ago, when I was young. Dad took her to the vets and the vet immediately said it would be best to put her to sleep. Dad wanted to take her home and try one last thing......so he did...he sat up all night with her in front of the fire and dripped a little babys Calpol and warm milk and water into her mouth every hour throughout the night....she was 16 years old.........she lived to be 21 years old before she died..........xx
My OH did that with one of his cats (not sure about the Calpol). Everyone had given up on this cat but Dave sat through the night with him. It worked and he lived for several more years, terrorising the local dogs! :lol:
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

It's amazing sometimes, what just some determination can do.....well done to Dave....

I will always remember, that from that day on, Sadie used to follow Dad absolutely everywhere...even the toilet ! She would howl until he let her in the bathroom with him, prior to this, she never used to bother him at all.....she absolutely adored him...as though she knew what he had done for her....she was put to sleep at the age of 21, with oral cancer...in my Dads arms...xx
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

PeanutsFriend wrote:Sure that is possible. But who do you think they tested it out on first? I use stuff for fish. An old antibiotic. I have a list of options in my purse. I post the list when I find it.
Not many human drugs are tested on cats, the usual choice is rats and mice. And those drugs still have to be tested on a small human population before being released for large-scale trials because no species is the same. Even if a drug IS safe for use across species – in the case of certain antibiotics, say – the dosage will vary hugely. Moreover, inappropriate use of antibiotics, including wrong dosage or course length, is largely to blame for the soaring rates of antibiotic resistance now seen around the world.

I think it's incredibly irresponsible to recommend on a public forum that people use drugs intended for humans or other animals on their cats rather than consulting a vet. Too many people short of money might take this advice, with potentially devastating consequences. And misuse of antibiotics will only shorten the remaining lifespan of effective drugs, without which animals and humans alike will all suffer.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

I am not saying everyday....just there is hope if you are facing death. He made it, but not everyone will. There are many variables. Allergic reaction.
I haven't had to medicate any of my cats since. That was four years ago and it was just for a few weeks.
I didn't have any option in my case. Maybe someone else wouldn't either.
Jill
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Does he definitely have Herpes virus and not Calici the other cat flu virus? If he does giving him l-lysine everyday could help keep it manageable, also keep stress to a minimum is key with these cats, any changes in their home can trigger a flare up. Lysine is relatively inexpensive and can be very effective in the management of herpes.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I agree with Camdengirl. I totally understand the desperation to save the animal in front of you, but messing around with pharmaceuticals, with zero training, is never a good plan long term.

The reasons for this are manifold. Antibiotic resistance is a HUGE concern. Many people think they are fine, and their animals are fine, as AB resistance affects them directly. It DOES NOT. It affects the BACTERIA. ABs work by killing the bacteria. They evolve a zillion times faster than our immune systems ever could.

I want my future sick cat to have an effective antibiotic available. Already scientists are reverting to OLD antibiotics in the HOPE that they can find something effective against bacterial strains. I do NOT want to die of something silly that could have been cured easily when I was 20.

As for using human medicines on animals....... I am a student vet nurse and I would NEVER try that. The Internet is full of rubbish, and if you have no knowledge/training to begin with, how can you decipher fact from fiction? I know enough to know thatrescrtion drugs are prescription only for a reason, and I know those reasons.

Fish antibiotics are also not properly regulated. You have absolutely no way of knowing what dose you are giving your cat. And cats are special as regards their metabolism of drugs. Unlike any other domestic species.

So if you are doing home treatment fine..... But I hope to heck you know what you are doing.
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Oh sure, I validate your views. Just been somewhere and sharing. Appreciate the cat conversation..
Jill
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I once used cat antibiotics on a crow I found in my garden. I thoroughly researched it first and was able to calculate the dosage correctly. I spent a good few hours making sure I was doing the right thing before I did it. Betamax is fine for birds apparently folks, but you do nood to weigh your crow! Benji never flew again but went to a great no-kill wildlife sanctuary. Life here for him would have been constant stress with cats.

I DO understand desperation..... But when something as apparently innocuous as paracetamol is LETHAL to cats, then messing with human drugs is just dangerous. The Maths of dosing reduction is NOT easy. Believe me, I did an exam in it last Friday! Antibiotics are our ONLY tool against bacterial infection........ And we are steadily losing that battle because they evolve faster than our science can. Humanity could easily be killed by something as silly as salmonella. Of course I only care about cats but the same principle applies!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

And if you have a "dim wit" for a vet, find a better one. Seriously...... Even the dim wit is trained, while you are not. No offence intended. Some vets are bloody dim-wits. But they are dim-wits WITH medical knowledge.