Flea control tablets?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Flea control tablets?

Post by Hazel »

Has anyone tried tablets for flea control? No chance of getting a spot on near Mama Cass, or Jess for that matter. Mika we can do but he hates it and grooms constantly for days afterwards.

I've seen Johnsons, Bob Martin and Capstar which all contain Nitenpyram, Program which contains Iufenuron and FleaGuard - a natural tablet containing Brewers Yeast. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with any of these?
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Flea control tablets?

Post by Meandmymunki »

Yes I use capstar on my feral, just put one in her food when I flea the others- I never see any fleas on her and I know someone else in rescue who swears by them, apparently in an infested cat the fleas just drop off while waiting for a spot on to kick in.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

Oh great, thanks. I din't know there was such a thing as everyone I know uses the spot ons.

I'm going to get some tomorrow for Mama Cass (stray who lives in our garden) - at least if we don't manage to catch her for the vets it might relieve her itching in the meantime (if that's her problem - and if it's not it doesn't seem like it will do any harm).

I'm not sure if it would be useful long term - it seems like it only works if they have fleas rather than as a preventative treatment. I will give them all a dose at the same time though so if any jump off her they don't end up on my two.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

As you say, they don't give long term protection, but they do kill the fleas that are actually on the cat.

The only concern I have about them is that they seem to cause a reaction in the fleas that makes them very active as they die. Several of my cats found this distressing and were running about and very jumpy for about an hour after the pill started to work. It was a few years ago, and I can't remember exactly which product I used, I'm afraid.

I wondered if anyone else had seen this reaction?
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

Thanks for the replies, I'm always a bit wary trying new things in case they do more harm than good.
We tried the tablet just on Mamma Cass. I was at work so OH kept an eye on her. He reported that she climbed onto the shed and went to sleep! So either she didn't have a flea or she slept through it :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Excellent, good work Mama Cass! :D