LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BOUT OF CYSTITIS FOR BARNEY SO WORRIED

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BOUT OF CYSTITIS FOR BARNEY SO WORRIED

Post by JulieandBarney »

After a trip to the vet 2 weeks ago Barney had severe cystitis, was given Convenia injection and picked up, urine test fine 4 days later...now tonight it looks like it is starting again...I am so worried, it looks like he may have a more permanent bladder problem....
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BOUT OF CYSTITIS FOR BARNEY SO WORRIE

Post by bobbys girl »

OOH no Julie, poor Barney.

I take it another trip to the vet is on the cards? Please let us know how you go on and give Barney a big, but gentle fuss from me. Really hope it's nothing serious.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

All the cats I've had with cystitis have needed a second course of antibiotics, so I wouldn't worry to much yet.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Booktigger and Bobbys girl

Well, I Rang our vet tonight, who insisted on seeing Barney straight away, as he said, "I can't see through a telephone if he has a blockage...." so quarter to seven we just made it to the vet, I trust him so much, an absolutely amazing man and so easy to talk to....he managed to squeeze his bladder and extract some urine to test....once again showing a little blood and high protein, but his bladder was not blocked, thankfully...poor fella was so miserable again earlier, trying to wee, it was painful to watch....He gave him another steroid injection and prescribed a different anti biotic for 2 weeks Clavaseptin twice a day, he said it is quite palatable to take, he did not want to give it in injection form as it stings more than other injections allegedly......so he has taken the first tablet tonight with no problem with a little malt.

We have been given something to sprinkle in his litter tray to collect urine as he wants to see him in 2 weeks time......if it reoccurs again, he is taking him in for a bladder scan....at the moment he is sleeping peacefully on the sofa.....and we are totally worn out !!!!!!!!! :cry:
Ruth
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by Ruth »

Hi Julie, poor barney how horrible for him to keep getting uti's.
I had a cat a few years ago who continually got cystitis and eventually the vet put her on cranberry tablets. It seemed to really help her so it may be worth having a word with your vet to see what he thinks.
Fusses to barney x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Ruth.....I will mention it to him when we go back...he already put him on Cystaid Plus which is glucosamine twice a day.......fingers crossed, this is just a glitch.....x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

How's Barney this morning?
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi

He's had a good sleep and a big wee in his litter tray !!....He seems a little brighter, though I imagine it will take a few days for the anti biotics to kick in....Its such a worry even when the vet tries to reassure... :cry:

x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

JulieandBarney wrote:He's had a good sleep and a big wee in his litter tray !!
Yayeee :D I bet he went 'aahhhh, that's better'.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh poor Barney. I'm sorry he has had this trouble again, dear boy. Glad he seems on the road to recovery this morning. Give him a kiss from us. Xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Poor Barney, I'm so sorry this has happened to him again. Glad he's at least had a big wee today, it's a good sign. Daz send his sympathies. xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

How's he been today, Julie?
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Helen

Well, I have been out all day today, its been pretty much an emotional roller coaster of worry all round the last 48 hours. Today, we had to leave him alone, whilst we went to see my parents, who live some distance away. it was my lovely Moms' 80th Birthday, she has lung cancer and Dad has advanced Alzheimers, though he has flashes of realisation of what he has become, which reduces him....and the rest of us, to tears, he is in a lovely nursing home at the moment, as he needs constant care, we took him out for the day to my sisters house, for a suprise get together for Mom, already tired after last nights worrying trip to the vets, it was made worse when Dad started crying saying he wanted to be home......so mentally I feel totally drained... :cry:

We left the patio door open for Barney to come in and out whilst we were gone, when we got back, he was on the sofa, he happily took his anti biotic tablet, disguised in a little chicken ! Looking back, there were so many questions I wish I had asked the vet, as we are due to return in 2 weeks when his anti biotics end, though I worry, 'what if he starts the struggle to wee again, whilst he is on the anti biotics ? '

I can't tell if he has had a wee today, as the door was left open and his tray is clean !! :( He has also become ultra clingy with me, he literally will not leave me alone for 5 minutes without wanting to be on my lap, or lie next to me....

PS: Sorry for the life story rant Helen !! (put it down to tiredness!)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Tough day. (((hugs)))

To be honest, he sounds in better shape than you do! :P

Don't panic, you call always call the vet if he does start struggling again, or if you do have a question, and we're here too. As I well remember from Daz, it is a really worrying desease as when they get better you never know how long 'better' will last. After over 18 months, I'm still really jumpy about Daz and find myself grabbing him to check his bladder from time to time. Just take it day by day. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you so much Helen...

You have no idea at the moment just how comforting your words are, bless you......hope you don't mind that I may be calling on you.... and all the others for advice in the next 2 weeks or so....and thank you for lilstening to my essay previously !.........xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

You're very welcome, I know what it's like. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

JulieandBarney wrote:Sorry for the life story rant Helen !!
Julie, no need to apologise, you are going through a tough time at the moment. I know what that's like. You rant away girl! ((hugs))

Sue
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Sorry to hear poor Barney is struggling again, I hope the big wees continue. They're such a worry sometimes x
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Julie ... I am so sorry to read all this ... cannot express how much I understand what you're going through (as am sure many others do here). We went through all this worry/panic/tears for a few months last year after Blackie had 2 bouts of cystitis in as many months.

If I come down in the morning and Blackie hasn't used his tray overnight, I start worrying and I know that feeling will never go away - because we were within 24 hours of losing him last April when he had his first bout.

Hugs to you and Barney ... hope all will be well for you both x

Jan
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

How's Barney today Julie? Thinking of you all x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all so much....

You understand far more than any others possibly can....I have taken so much comfort from all of you, in the words of my old Dad, you are all " The salt of the earth...."

I will keep a close watch on my lovely boy, he has had several 'big wees' he is now on my knee as I type, having eaten his supper and taken his tablet. Our vet said that if it flares up again, he will do a bladder scan, to look for stones, though he reassured me that he could count on his one hand the amount of bladder stone problems in male cats he has seen in the last 20 years....just my luck if Barney becomes that one in 5!

I will keep updating on here if no one minds, as if it wasn't for all your words of support, I think I would be climbing the walls at the moment .... :cry: xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Please do update us, Julie. I tend to feel that some of the regular cats on here are almost part of my extended family - I'm sure others feel much the same.

I know the feeling. I often worry that I post too much about my gang and the foster cats, but people tell me to keep posting, and it helps me, so I keep going! :D
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Helen,

I feel just like you about posting all my worries too , I was just reading one of your posts about a new addition to your gang from a family member.....believe it or not, my hubby is asthmatic and allergic to cats....he just puts up with the weepy eyes and uses an inhalor and takes an anti histamine when Barney "does the dough" on him, usually on his head or chest !, he always says "Its not his fault "..he adores cats and his allergy would never stop him fussing our boy,.......xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Jan wrote:Julie ... I am so sorry to read all this ... cannot express how much I understand what you're going through (as am sure many others do here). We went through all this worry/panic/tears for a few months last year after Blackie had 2 bouts of cystitis in as many months.

If I come down in the morning and Blackie hasn't used his tray overnight, I start worrying and I know that feeling will never go away - because we were within 24 hours of losing him last April when he had his first bout.

Hugs to you and Barney ... hope all will be well for you both x

Jan
Jan,

Could I ask what happened with the cystitis episode to lead to you almost losing Blackie please ?

x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Julie, hoping your lovely boy is doing okay tonight. What a generally horrid time of it all you're facing, bless you. Stay strong and look after yourself. One good thing about vets being private and not NHS is that you can take your boy anytime you're worried and they will not turn you away. Where would they be without cat guardians like us all who don't take risks with their little ones' health. Thinking of you and sending hugs.

Sarah and Gang xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Sarah

Barney is now sleeping on the sofa next to me....it's so frustrating when you feel helpless to do anything for them.....watching him struggle yet again Friday eveining, absolutely floored me, when I believed he was better, it was such a shock...I only hope that it does not turn out to be anything more sinsister.....poor fella usually hates the vet, but it was as though he was almost glad that he manually got the water out of him, poor soul, as he very quickly sat down with his paws together purring, once the vet had finished...!.......just praying these new anti biotics will sort him, else he has to go in overnight, which will upset him being away from home....xx ) and I will not sleep either !!)
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lallum »

Sorry to hear it's happened again. When Midnight was very ill with cystitis I was terrified that this would be the end. Yes he's had radical surgery but he's done extremely well. He's fur still hasn't grown back so he looks a bit silly from behind.

What type of food does he eat? The vet thought Midnight should not have been eating dry food but wet pouches. He's now on Hills Prescription C/D pouches which is for bladder problems. It's not cheap but it's a lot cheaper than vet fees. It's either salmon or chicken. The chicken come in pouches or pate so I try to mix it up so he gets different things on a weekly basis.

Hope he keeps ok. Any sign of a problem, go straight to the vet. Midnight avoided kidney problems because I watched him like a hawk.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

[quote="JulieandBarney

Jan,

Could I ask what happened with the cystitis episode to lead to you almost losing Blackie please ?

x
Hi again Julie.

Try to make it as brief as I can. The truth is I had absolutely no idea he wasn't urinating in the garden which he always did and mostly does now. Thinking back some months later, I totally missed the signs he was giving me - sitting hunched up on the bookcase, then coming over to lay in my arms which I mistook for him wanting some affection - though why I should have thought that, I've no idea - a lap cat he never was, is or ever will be!.

I do recall (though not at the time) that he repeatedly went into his litter tray and left only paw marks behind but being such a new cat owner, I had absolutely no idea this was one of the signs of trouble. He certainly didn't cry and seemed to be as usual.

At the time he was being treated at the vets for suspected ringworm due to a circular bald patch just above one of his eyes. The culture came back negative and I now suspect that Blackie was scratching his forehead due to the stress he was under with his bladder irritation - but at the time neither the vet we saw, nor I, realised this.

I had an appointment nearly a week later but for some unknown reason I decided to take him in 24 hours earlier because I was worried about letting him out into the garden in case the bald patch became infected because he's scratched until it bled. We saw a different vet that time, and for some reason he took hold of Blackie and pressed his abdomen - looked at me in horror and said 'thank heavens you've brought him in 24 hours earlier, because by then it would probably have been too late. His bladder is full to bursting'.

At the time I was in such a state of shock, I don't think I comprehended how close we came to losing Blackie - it was only weeks/months later that I couldn't talk about it without dissolving into tears.

Poor Blackie was up and down to the vets so many times in the following 2 months because I became paranoid about whether he was or wasn't peeing.

In the event, the 2nd bout wasn't as critical because Blackie made it known he was in trouble by coming into the lounge giving a crying miaow. I immediately looked in his tray, saw only paw marks and he was whizzed up the vets before he could turn round! It was after the 2nd bout that I was told in addition to the Hills c/d diet, he should also have 1 x Cystophan a day.

Cutting a long story short, another vet down in NSomerset (who has known Blackie since a kitten - he used to belong to my mother) told me she thought the most important thing was adding as much warmed water to his food as I could get down him to keep his kidneys and bladder flushed through. She didn't feel that as Blackie had been on the Hills food for more than 2 months, it was of much further use and if he was refusing to eat it (he was sick of it) then her view was that getting as much added water to his food was more important and if the only way to do this was to feed him his favourite food (Felix) then to make sure he had wet pouches but in jelly only.

She also advised that for any upcoming stressful situation I should up his Cystophan to 2 x day along with giving him 2 x Zyklene per day.

This treatment seems to have worked for Blackie ... but I'm ever vigilant. Do hope Barney recovers well. Will check this thread to make sure.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hi Jan, glad to hear Blackie's still doing OK. I remember his episodes. xx

You probably know all this, Julie, but to explain (just in case and to stop you worrying), both Blackie and Daz (and Midnight, I believe) have an additional complication in that not only do they get cystitis, but they are also prone to urinary blockages when they do get a cystitis flare-up. One does not necessarily lead to the other, but it's worth bearing in mind because a urinary blockage can be fatal in male cats in particular. The blockages can be cause by crystals/stones, and in Daz's case he gets a sort of crystal sand mixed in with other 'gunk' from the bladder wall due to the inflammation, and apparently Daz does have an unusually narrow urethra so it's easy for the 'gunk' to form a plug that causes a blockage. Being unable to pee causes toxins to build up, and that's what can affect their kidneys. As I'm sure you've heard me say, I also give Daz Cystophan and add extra water to mainly wet food, and I believe his weight loss helped.

The cystitis is bad enough, let's hope poor Barney doesn't have to contend with blockages as well. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all so much for your responses...This has proved invaluable to me,

Barney does seem a little brighter again this morning and began his day with a wee !...I have always fed him a wet diet, usually Lilys Kitchen or more recently Butchers, mixed with lots of warm water, he can't tolerate fish, so that is out of the question.

Thank you for the advise about the Hills Prescription C/D food, that will be on order today for him, he is taking at the moment 2 Cystaid Plus a day and 2 anti biotics a day for the next 2 weeks. I am keeping a very close eye on his movements at the moment.

Thank you for sharing your stories and taking the time to share them with me, just reading them back over and over at the moment !!.....xx