My senior cat has diarrhoea

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ZDimond
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My senior cat has diarrhoea

Post by ZDimond »

I have a 14 year old cat called Lisa that I adopted 2 years ago, she’s the first pet I’ve ever had but we bonded straight away. Last year she was diagnosed with early stages of kidney failure, a small heart murmur and arthritis. Since then she’s forgotten how to use the litter tray and will just go where ever she’s standing at the time. Also I'm not sure if either her sense of smell has gone or she’s become senile because quite often I come home to find her asleep next to the puddle on the floor, she’s even been known to poo next to her food bowl then continue to eat. Recently though I’ve noticed that the puddles on the carpet are becoming smaller and there are more of them. Even more worryingly she has developed diarrhoea this last week and I'm scared that this is a sign that her kidneys are getting worse. She is drinking more than usual but she’s still eating well. I haven’t yet discussed this new development with the vet but I will, it’s always quite difficult to get a good diagnosis though because she gets so aggressive with the vets so there’s often not much they can do with her. I just thought I would seek some advice in the meantime.

I think my biggest worry with all this is knowing when to let go. I’ve switched vets 3 times in the past year trying to find a good one and the last two have both told me I should start thinking about euthanasia but it always felt like it was too soon and it was more for my sake than for hers. Now every time she makes a mess on the carpet or starts yowling I can’t help wondering if she’s in pain and I should put her down but then I feel guilty because I wonder if the only reason I’m thinking this is because I’m frustrated with the mess.

I guess what I would like to know is could the diarrhoea be a symptom of her kidneys getting worse? And how do you decide when it’s the right time to let go and how do you get past the guilt?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My senior cat has diarrhoea

Post by Kay »

I think you need to have a full blood panel done on her asap - this is not normal behaviour even in an older cat - and 14 is not that old these days

something other than old age is going on, and hopefully it is something that can be treated
ZDimond
New Cat Chatter

Post by ZDimond »

Thank you for replying so quickly. I'll get her checked out as soon as I can.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I completely agree with Kay, I've had several cats into their late teens and nothing like this.

I hope you can get to the bottom of what the trouble is.
Animal lover
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Animal lover »

I am so sorry. I know exactly what you are going through. I am pretty sure that the diarrhoea is a sign that her kidney failure is advanced and near the last stage. My gorgeous big ginger Tom cat was diagnosed with advanced kidney failure, and within five weeks I had to make the horrible, but kindest, decision to say my last goodbye to him. His kidney failure was extremely rapid. The entire staff at my vets had never seen a cat with his initial blood work, go down hill so quick. It was a complete shock to us all. They will be in severe discomfort. My vets described it as the worst hangover, lethagy, aches, that you could imagine. I did everything that I could for him, including fluid injections which I hated giving him and he was definitely not keen on having, but for a week or so they helped him so much and he picked up. But, the failure was so quick. He rapidly lost weight and no longer was his 24/7 playful self, even though he still insisted on jumping and climbing in to things. In some ways he was not like himself, and in other ways he was. I have had lots of animals in my life and sadly most of them I have had to make that awful decision. It is never easy and you always feel unsure if you are doing the right thing or if it is the right time. These uncertainties just prove how much you love them. You want to give them every chance and you want to do what is best for them. That is what you have to remember, that it is what is best for them. My ginger boy was just past his 17th birthday when I said goodbye for the last time. I still wonder if I did the right thing - not regarding when I said good bye, but in trying everything for him. Although, I know though that I had to give him every chance and to not do so would have been giving in, so to speak. No one expected his condition to advance so quickly. Every time I had to say goodbye to one of my beloved animals I was there, as heart breaking as it was. Even now, just thinking of those times, my heart aches and the tears start to fall. I miss them all so much and would do anything to have them with me again. To me, there was no choice of not being there. I held them as they went and told them that I love them. If you do decide to be there, it will be so hard, but by not being there you may feel worse or wonder what if more. Be honest to yourself and do what is best for you. I brought all of my animals home and laid them to rest in the garden. I think that deep down we all know when it is time to make that decision. In talking to your vets and seeing how your animal progresses, you will have a sense of how they are, and when you need to say your last goodbye. My thoughts are with you in such a sad time x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, she sounds very poorly and very distressed. You need to get her to a vet as soon as possible. I'm so sorry she's gone downhill so badly, but quality of life must be the first consideration. I was in this position a few weeks ago, so I know how tough it is, but better a day too soon than a day too late.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

lilynmitz wrote:I agree, she sounds very poorly and very distressed. You need to get her to a vet as soon as possible. I'm so sorry she's gone downhill so badly, but quality of life must be the first consideration. I was in this position a few weeks ago, so I know how tough it is, but better a day too soon than a day too late.
Yes, I agree and very very sorry to hear about her.

I too had a cat who was faecally incontinent - Finn would wee in his tray (amazing as he came to me as an adult feral and sprayed everywhere at first) but motions were hit and miss in his last years. Like you I agonised over 'was it me feeling the inconvenience' and felt dead guilty and lectured myself that he was more important than a few square inches of carpet. Though I admit I cursed (oh not again!) as I got out the plastic gloves and kitchen roll etc, I used to call him my 'dirty old man' - but he too got to that stage where I'd find him placidly lying next to a puddle of diarrohea.

His problem was arthritis and old age. He was in the care of the vet and on metacam most of the time, but the day came when I realised it was time. He was feeble and doddery and just existing. The vet said that he was 'ready'. They couldn't even raise a vein in his foreleg for the conventional injection; his body was just closing down I guess, and gave him a sedative before a lethal injection into his heart. The vet wanted me to leave during this; I insisted on staying with him. I don't know why she made so much fuss as the heart injection was only like any other injection; nothing scary, and he was unconscious anyway.

Sorry to include these details but if it comes to this with your girl, I wanted you not to feel too guilty if you have to make this decision (although we all do; it's a part of bereavement) and not to be alarmed if the vet is forced to use the sedative/heart injection method; it's very tranquil. Finn passed away instantly.

It would be good if all our cats ended their lives sleeping in their own beds, otherwise I feel it's as well to be prepared for what we may have to do. Still a very hard decision to make though; I feel for you.

Thinking of you and your girl x
ZDimond
New Cat Chatter

Post by ZDimond »

I took Lisa to the vets today. He said that they could do tests and give me some injections to rehydrate her which would be unpleasant for both of us, but we would only back there in a few days because there was no solution. Her kidneys had obviously given up and her body was reacting to all the toxins. Even she seemed to have given up; she didn't fight me when I put her in the box and she didn't fight him when he took her out, she just lay there. So, after a lot of crying, we decided it would be kinder to put her to sleep. It the hardest thing I have ever had to do and if it weren't for all the good times I don’t think I could ever go through this again.
Rest in peace my beautiful girl.

I would just like to say thank you everyone who replied to this post. It really helped me to know that I wasn't overreacting and that others had been through this before. Although I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it’s always nice to know I'm not alone. Thank you.
Attachments
2013-09-29 15.18.09a.jpg
(60.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but from what you described I'm sure you did the right thing for her, your final act of love, letting her go gently and ending her distress. We've all been through this and know how dreadfully hard and painful this is, I had to do the same for Lily a few weeks ago, having nursed her through one illness after another for years, but her frail little body just couldn't fight it any more. Just remember it's the years before that matter, not the final few moments. RIP little Lisa, you are loved and missed.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

So sorry to hear about your lovely girl. It is the hardest decision ever and it never gets any easier no matter how many pets we have had over the years. Lisa was a lucky girl to have you look after her and to make this decision for her to end her suffering.

What a beautiful photo you have of her. Sleep tight much loved Lisa.

Carol Xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So sorry to hear - lots of love, Lil x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but quite sure that you've done the right thing for her in the circumstances. It really is the kindest thing when they're miserable and in pain, though I know how tough it is to make that decision. (((hugs)))

That's a beautiful picture of her. Rest in peace lovely Lisa. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful girl.

I understand how you feel after having to let our boy Lazarus go a few weeks ago. Also, a lovely long-haired black cat.
Attachments
lazstairs.jpg
lazstairs.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear this, but you did the kindest thing for her. RIP little one
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

So sorry to read about your beautiful girl. I adopted my oldest girl nearly 2 and a half years ago. She is around 18 years old and I know what a deep bond you will have built so quickly with Lisa. As Carol often says, it's a roller coaster with our oldies. Hugs to you at this horrible time.

Sarah xx
Animal lover
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Animal lover »

I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope that you were able to take her home and lay her to rest in your garden, where she will always be with you and you can see her and speak with her always.

People say that it gets easier with time. I have never found that. All I have found is that you accept it more as time goes on. And the more you accept it, the more you can think of them in happier times. My animals are my children. I always knew I did not want children as I was always much more in to animals. Even now, when I go in to my garden I expect to see my first rabbits who passed away over 30 years ago. My ginger Tom had a favourite step on the stairs and he would lay there and watch me through the bannister. I had to say my last goodbye to him because of kidney failure on 17th August 2011 and I still expect to see him there. In those first few seconds when I start to go up the stairs, I feel so happy as I expect to see him there. Then the realisation that he is gone. I always imagine and remember all of my animals in all of their favourite places. Knowing that this was their home and, apart from one rabbit, all of my animals are laid to rest in my garden, gives me great comfort. I believe in the spirit of all living beings and I do feel them here, and I visit them and talk to them in the garden.

When I was young, in first school, I was taught about different beliefs. One was a Viking?/Norse belief which says all living beings have souls/spirits and they all have an afterlife. That people and animals have different journeys in to the afterlife. That belief has been made in to a poem called the Rainbow Bridge. The poem has been written differently over the years. To me it says everything which I believe to be true. That I will be with all of my animals again one day. It gives me great comfort, which I hope it gives to you and to us all. A couple of links to it. Whenever I read it, I do end up in tears, so ensure tissues are at the ready.

http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are also helpful links on these sites for helping with grief, etc.

They may be gone from this world, and we may never be able to hold them in our arms once again, but they will never be gone from our thoughts, and we will be able to hold them in our hearts forever.

My thoughts are with you, and I am now getting some tissues. I miss all of my animals so much x x