Trying to tempt Fluffy to eat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Trying to tempt Fluffy to eat

Post by bobbys girl »

Yesterday I bought some pilchards in tomato sauce for Tommy. he licked at the sauce and that was it. This morning, after they had been in the fridge all night, I mashed some up with plenty of sauce and zapped them in the microwave (few seconds only and PLEASE cover them! :shock: ) He licked the plate clean. :D Thanks to everyone who suggested warming food.

It might work for Fluffy - really hope so. At this point you'll try ANYTHING. Fusses to Fluffy.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Mark i suggested earlier the co op fresh cooked spit roasted chickens, my 3 have them, often, and love them still warm and cannot resist the smell when i first get in the house!

Carol, i have posted the pouch, 1st class at post office, but we only have one post a day here, so may not reach you tomorrow.

Another thing i remembered, John West Red Salmon !!! not the cheaper pink variety, thats another that my very old cat could manage, and loved.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Camdengirl wrote:I'm sorry Fluffy isn't doing well, Carol, good luck with the Thrive (not sure whether anyone has told you, but it looks a bit grey when you open it, that's normal...the first time I wondered whether there was something wrong with my tin!)

I really wouldn't recommend trying her with bacon given the high salt content, I suspect that could be dangerous for a cat with serious kidney trouble.

Gentle fusses to Madam Fluffy
I did only mean a tiny scrap of bacon, just something to get her interested - I'm aware of the salt content. Almost did mention, perhaps a tiny sliver crumbled up on the chicken. I don't think anyone on here would think I meant feed a bowlful.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Sorry that Fluffy isn't doing so well Carol, I hope you manage to tempt her with something. Thinking of you x
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

I have to stop checking this thread - I'm drooling with the thought of slivers of bacon, warm sardines in tomato sauce, morrisons roast chickens, etc etc......

Can all the leftovers be sent here please :D :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Baggypants wrote:I have to stop checking this thread - I'm drooling with the thought of slivers of bacon, warm sardines in tomato sauce, morrisons roast chickens, etc etc......

Can all the leftovers be sent here please :D :D
LOL! :lol:
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks again for your good wishes and suggestions.

Sarah you made me laugh. I wish Fluffy would take note!

Just a quick update. She has had two spoonfuls of Thrive chicken. On two separate occasions that is. I warmed them up each time and with a little encouragement she managed it. She's not in distress but is drinking much more than ever. Thanks for being there for us Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

That's some good news Carol .....at least she is attempting to eat, if only a little.....all our thoughts are with you....xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Glad she is eating something. Hopefully she will eat little and often and her appetite will improve.

Dom & Kylie aren't fans of AGAIL, but I was in Wilkinsons today and picked up a box with new flavours in. I had never seen it before.

3 of each flavour in the box

Ham
Pork
Chicken
Duck

If you think there is any chance Fluffy might eat it, I can send you a couple of the ham and/or pork flavour pouches.

Come on Fluffy!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That's good to know, Mark. Lou Lou is extremely fussy but she loves ham, which obviously she can't have as a main meal, so these could be up her street.

We all hanging in there with you and the little girl, Carol. xxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Well I am pleased to report that the little girl has finally finished a whole tin of Thrive chicken :) :) . Very small amounts each time, warmed up and handfed. I will be daring to open another one later. She's trying her best to improve!

Mark I can't promise Fluffy will eat them but she is so unpredictable and she does like both pork and ham. If you can spare any then that would be great :) .

Thanks again everyone for thinking of her and sending good wishes Xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good, positive news Carol. :D Come on Fluffy.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Yay - well done Fluffy! Keep up the good work

What a relief that she's managed a reasonable amount of food! Well done you too Carol!

Out of passing interest, my gang's favourite at the moment is Felix Sensations. They all like all flavours :)

Val and the gang xxx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Great news :) - Lets hope she is as keen on the next tin!

I have your address Carol. If I can get out in time tomorrow, I will post them then Failing that, on Monday. Not sure what time the PO closes on Saturday, but will check.

PS - It looks as if Tesco are stocking it too :) http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =286747442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Carol. that's fantastic news !! :D

I felt sure that the Thrive chicken would win HRHFluffy over.........keep it up. we are all rooting for you ....xxxx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Dear Carol and Dear Fluffy,

I'm so sorry that I hadn't seen this post or known that Fluffy was so unwell. I haven't been in CC lately as I was spending so much time it was eating into work I should have been doing... and just posting for Sophie on Facebook on her special page where it's so much easier to post pictures. I am so sorry to hear she is struggling. poor darling Fluffy. She is such a brave and determined little girl that it's hard to convince her to eat if she doesn't feel like it - but crucial that she does. Hopefully the Thrive will have given her some strength to eat again and she will start to pick up. With all her problems it sounds like she's actually doing very well but has got into a downward spiral of not eating. The hiding behind the TV sounds like she's feeling vulnerable. I do hope she turns a corner now and starts to regain her appetite. She is so precious and so loved. Our thoughts are with you both - Sophie and her Mum xxxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Mark I'll look forward to getting them in the post :)

I've opened the second tin of Thrive and she's already had just over a quarter. Phew! I'll keep going til bed time with the little and often routine. It'll be great if she finishes another one.

The support you're all giving is definitely spurring us on Xx

Hi Jacks and Sophie. Lovely to hear from you. We've all missed you but we understand how busy you are. Yes you're right about Fluff being brave. She's overcome so much and taken it all in her stride. She's always a happy purring little girl and it's hard to see her feeling like this. However I'm hoping she might be turning a corner. She's actually come out from behind the tv for now and is snoring away on one of her beds next to me. Not very ladylike :) . Thanks for your encouragement. Fusses to Sophie and the gang Xx

* Mark I've just seen your p.s about Tesco stocking it. Thanks for finding that out. If she likes the ones you send then I can easily add it to my shopping list.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What a wonderful little girl she is! We are delighted to hear that the Duchess has eaten more of the Thrive and has been snoring next to you. What a pleasure it must be to hear her little snores. We are thinking of you all the time. Fluffy's personal food supply rivals any branch of PAH now, I'm sure! XXX
Eliz+Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Eliz+Cats »

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear about Fluffy.
That prognosis must be so worrying for you. And trying to get food into a cat that doesn't want to eat is extremely frustrating and upsetting.

I am quite new to dealing with CRF (am in process of adopting a foster kitty who can't be rehomed because he's been found to have CRF, heart murmur, high blood pressure and possible heart disease). But in the short time I've been caring for a CRF kitty I have found the Tanya CRF website to be a wonderful source of information. Here, for example, is a link to a page of suggestions for tempting a CRF kitty to eat:
http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the moment I am finding that Fortiflora is useful for tempting my kitty's appetite. I don't use a whole sachet, just a 'fat pinch' sprinkled onto the food.
I also give him a little slippery elm bark powder to soothe his digestive tract.
He also gets vitamin B complex and methyl B12; and a little taurine powder (dissolved in water and mixed into food) every day.

Do you think Fluffy is nauseous? And is she getting any meds for that?

Regarding the heart disease, I do so understand your concerns about blood clots. And to try to prevent that I'm giving a couple of drops (about 250mg) krill oil every day. Krill oil is anti-inflammatory and has anti-coagulant properties; but if Fluffy is on any anti-coagulant meds then supplementing krill oil might not be suitable.

Keeping everything crossed here that you do find ways to tempt Fluffy to eat.
Sending 'eat your food' vibes to Fluffy, and a big reassuring hug to you.

Eliz
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

How's the little girl today Carol?

Xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Eliz

Thanks so much for your advice and concern. Yes it's been an upsetting time and a roller coaster of a ride. Your foster boy has very similar problems to Fluffy. Poor lad. That website is a wealth of information. I refer to it whenever I have another issue that arises with Fluffy. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the amount of info on there which is why it's invaluable when someone else finds advice that I've either forgotten about or missed so thank you for posting that link.

She's on the Vit B's you mentioned and the slippery elm bark. I've not tried fortiflora. Where's the best place to get that from? Anything is worth trying to encourage her to eat. Where do you get your taurine powder from? I'd thought about that when she started to go off all cat food and was only eating cooked chicken.

I'm not sure if Fluffy is nauseous. Perhaps not. Today as I was cooking some chicken she sat in the kitchen doorway and meowed loudly whilst watching me. Today she's still interested in the Thrive (more than the cooked chicken). I think I've got her method sussed. She is quite happy to lick up all the sauce but then she leaves the meat pieces for me to handfeed her a bit at a time. If I leave it down then it doesn't get touched.

I'm interested in the krill oil. The thought of her having a blood clot is what scares me more than anything. Ever since the vet mentioned that a clot is more likely than a heart attack I've been upset and stressed. I made it worse by reading up on it :( . Originally I wanted to find out more about what I could do to help prevent it but then came across some very grim reading. Fluffy's been on 75mg of aspirin every 3 days for over a year now. Forgive my ignorance but is aspirin an anticoagulant? Would she not be able to have krill oil in addition to that?

She seems to be a little happier in herself today. Her body language is better and she had a little venture out onto the decking and did a bit of exercising of her claws and stretching. Was good to see.

Sarah, yes you're right there about Fluffy's food supply. Anyone would think I had about five cats if they could see the amount of food in my cupboard.

Val I've just seen your post as I was about to submit this. Thanks everyone for your concern Xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Thank you for the update Carol.

I can picture your beautiful girl stretching and wandering about on your decking. It's lovely to think that she is feeling well enough to venture out into what is hopefully a beautiful sunshiny day, just like it is here in Lowestoft.

I've searched on the Internet and found this regarding anticoagulants....

Aspirin also has an effect of preventing clots by preventing platelets sticking together. However, it is classed as an antiplatelet agent rather than an anticoagulant.

I have no experience of this at all so I've searched a bit further and found this..... Obviously it's aimed at treating humans but I assume it's the same advise/guidance for cats?

Treating Heart Ailments

Using fish oil with aspirin might improve aspirin’s blood clot prevention effectiveness. Researchers have discovered that omega three fatty acids alone, do not prevent formation of blood clots however when consumed with aspirin, they improve aspirin’s ability to prevent formation of blood clot.

Tip #1
Do not take aspirin on an empty stomach because it sometimes upsets the tummy when it is taken without food. If you are a breakfast person, you can take it with breakfast.

Tip #2
Your omega three fish oil supplement should be taken about twelve hours after taking the aspirin. It is okay to take fish oil before or after meals. The twelve hours interval between taking aspirin and fish oil is essential so as to decrease the risk of experiencing side effects.

Tip #3
Arrange to take your fish oil supplement at approximately the same time every day so as to maintain steady quantities in your body. Aspirin should also be taken in a consistent manner.

Tip #4
Go for medical checkup at least every 3 months. This will enable the doctor assess your state of health and find out if it is okay for you to continue taking fish oil together with aspirin.

Taking aspirin and fish oil together might predispose you to excessive bleeding and can slow clotting of blood. Also, aspirin can cause side effects such as stomach pain, heartburn, and vomiting. Before you take any supplements, always consult with your doctor.

Carol please give your beautiful girl a kiss from me and a gentle head butt from Dora xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

have you raised her dish up? it can make a difference
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Glad she's happy today. :)

You must have more cat food than human food in your cupboards at the moment, Carol! :D
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Shelly, thanks so much for that :) . I really appreciate the research you've done. That's very helpful. I had no idea about aspirin being an antiplatelet. Very interesting what it says about fish oil helping the effects of aspirin.

Fluffy chose the best part of the day to be out on the decking as it was lovely and sunny. She always stares towards the back door until I come out and join her. So we had a good few minutes sitting together. Fusses passed on and gratefully received.

Hi Kay. Yes I raise her dish up for both her food and her water. She seems to struggle with actually picking up the pieces of meat no matter how finely chopped I make them. The vet had a good look at her mouth and apart from a bit of gingivitis all was ok. However she has always had this problem on and off. I remember when she first moved in with us I was concerned then to see her sometimes just licking the gravy and not picking up the meat. When I feed her by hand I have to tilt my hand so it's easier for her to get the meat in her mouth. Maybe it's just the way she is. When she's feeling well the food I leave down for her overnight seems to miraculously disappear!!

Helen you are spot on there!! I'm struggling to find something to eat. I must admit that more than once I've eyed up her Applaws chicken and pumpkin that she's rejected. The fridge is pretty bare but I can hardly close the doors to her cupboard :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I really agonised over the cost of buying two of these bowls http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellipet-Obl-LP ... d+cat+bowl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the cats really seem to like them - they are the only ones I have found which tilt towards their mouths
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Now that could be the answer!!! I've never seen bowls that do that. Thanks Kay :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

the price is horrendous but they are built to last
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Carol

I have a similar problem with Barney.....I put his Urinary food down about 6pm and he won't touch it.......I give him a little different food in another dish which he eat now and then.......I get up in the morning and his previosuly awful urinary food is gone !!!!.........he's due at vets on Tuesday anyway..........!!!....love to you and Fluffy .... xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Julie!! What a familiar scenario that is :) . Made me smile. Hope Barney's trip on Tuesday goes smoothly. Give him a tickle from me. Thinking of you both Xxx