Trying to tempt Fluffy to eat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Trying to tempt Fluffy to eat

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I've taken the plunge and ordered one the bowls you suggested, Kay. I have a feeling it may help Lou Lou who makes a real meal (or not, more likely) of eating wet food. She seems to struggle to get her mouth around it (although that problem disappears when freshly cooked chicken is on the menu) and favours dry food too much for my liking. Thanks for the recommendation. If it works well I may get one for Pepsi too although she is a much more confident eater than she was.X
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

If you can find a farmer or hunter...cats love animal insides. Venison is good. I couldn't face stuff like that. You are braver than me.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

How's Mme Fluffy doing, Carol? xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen she's not done quite as well today with her food as yesterday. In herself she doesn't seem too bad. Her favourite is still the Thrive Chicken so far although I have to handfeed it most of the time. She's more vocal today and "chatty" which is always a good sign with her. The main thing is that she's eating something and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.

Jill I do know of a hunter actually. Where I live it's quite common. I think I'm far too squeamish to ask him for anything though. In the village there is an award winning butcher. If I was brave enough I'd much rather get it from him. But I'm like you so I don't think I'll be asking him anytime soon.

Thanks both for your concern Xx

I've also ordered one of those tilted bowls to see if it helps Fluffy. Trying everything I can.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Jill may be on to something there, Carol. Fluffy might be really stimulated by some offal, it is so natural and earthy for them. Pepsi loves liver. She doesn't have it very often but when she has she goes crazy for it. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. XX
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Sarah. I know that Fluffy has liked liver in the past. She once helped herself to some off my plate!!

In her food cupboard, amongst the stacks of rejected food, she has some tins of Ziwipeak which has a high organ content. The last time she had some she was sick though. I will have a think about paying my butcher a visit Xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

I am glad Fluff is a bit brighter, but sorry that her appetite hasn't picked up.

I would also be tempted to visit a butcher - I am not a meat eater myself, but was a regular at our local butchers getting stuff for Luna. Take care not to give Fluff too much at once though. Liver is very rich. Hopefully her gentle grazing might help control that though.

Continued vibes for your precious girl xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I used to have a good butcher that would keep 'pussies' pieces' for me. I must chat up one of the butchers around here!

Glad HRH is doing OK, and at least you know she'll eat the Thrive. Those bowls are very swish indeed and definitely worthy of HRH The Duchess. :)

All paws here crossed that she keeps eating and her appetite starts to improve. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Our Butcher is a neighbour of ours and has his own beef cattle and sheep. (When it comes to 'food miles' our steak/mince comes from the field over the road!) He used to save big marrow bones for our dog Rosie and we would spoon out the marrow for Purdy, she loved it!

Carol, I've found it worth my while to cultivate the local suppliers. Your local Butcher should be able to provide all sorts of 'gloopy bits' minced into something more palatable for Fluffy and less yucky for you. Worth a try.

(A chat with a milkman in Cullybacky resulted in a bottle of poteen on the doorstep one morning! :lol: )
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

So glad you're able to persuade HRH to eat - even if it's hand feeding! The more she gets down her the stronger she'll feel. The little chirpy greetings are a very good sign - we're thinking of you both xxx Love and kisses to her Majesty xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Has her appetite improved any, Carol?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks again for your kind thoughts and support Xx

I think we're getting there. She still prefers to be handfed but as you can see she had a little something to eat from her new bowl that arrived today :) Her new favourite is Applaws chicken and cheese. I've now got a good variety of most brands to try her with. She tends to like something for a few days and then wants a change. So it's a definite improvement! Thanks to everyone's help I now have more options to try her with when she stops eating again. One thing that is worrying me is the fact that she's decided she doesn't want any food that has the phosphorous binder mixed in with it. She really needs this. I've been giving her renalzin for some time now but I think I'll have to order in some ipakitine and see whether she'll accept that. Each time I try giving it her, even when being handfed, she refuses it. She's still vocal though and has definitely perked up. Huge relief!!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (136.95 KiB) Viewed 6605 times
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

What a good girl using her new bowl :)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Good girl Fluffy :D

Xxxx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Oh the beautiful girl - and what a stunning bowl! She really seems to like it! The Applaws food is very nice, isn't it - and if it is complimentary rather than total nutrition you may be able to get her vitamins and minerals down her with some sort of liquid treat like cat milk or licky - mine like Miamor Liver Sausage (leberwurst) from Zooplus best!

What a pain though that she won't take her meds - definitely sounds like you need to ask the vet for some alternatives. Once they take a dislike to something they can sniff out even minute quantities!

xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Nice one Fluffy. Looks as if she likes that. x
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Sounds like you almost have her....one achievement at a time...
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

We are pleased to announce that HRH Pet Food Supplies is now officially open :D

More stock is available (bottom of wardrobe in spare bedroom) on request. Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Jacks I've taken your advice and given her a Miamor Malt cream this evening. She surprised me by finishing the lot. Have ordered some ipakitine too so hopefully she'll accept that in her food.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 6577 times
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh my goodness! You seriously have more stock in than our local PAH!!!

Glad to hear The Duchess continues to be on the mend.

Please give her kisses from Dora & I xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Oh wow you're worse than me! I don't have the cupboard space though, so the stairs hold spare bags of litter and dried, boxes of pouch...I get it delivered in bulk so I don't have to pay a delivery fee but the place looks as if it's stocked for a siege.

Good old Fluffy! So glad she's turned the corner and congrats! :D

Just in case anyone's reading this who has a poorly non-eating cat, I've discovered something called 'critical care' - it's a powder containing nutrients that can be dissolved and syringed down the animal's throat. I bought some (Amazon) for an ill snake but apparently it's suitable for all species. Which sounds a bit incredible but that's what it says. Haven't tried it as the poor snake has died but thought I'd mention it, although the 'Nurish 'Um' (silly name I know) I mentioned earlier might be easier to administer to a cat.

Again congrats Fluffy and congrats you :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Glad her eating has picked up Carol :)

I don't think you will have any problem with the Ipakitine. I think it is ever so slighty fishy as one of the ingredients is ground mollusc shells.

Willow wouldn't touch Renalzin, but she was fine with Ipakitine. I even used to dust fish and chicken with it for them.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Good Grief, I thought we were bad and we have 5 cats! :D

Still, nice to hear that she is doing so much better. Give the darling girl a fuss from me. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Good grief, that's quite a collection! Of course, what the Duchess now needs is a proper typed menu that she can peruse at her leisure! :D

So glad she's doing better. xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Love it! Edgar says please can he come over for an extended visit as we make sure that ALL that food goes to very good use! xx
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Can i just add, what a tidy cat food cupboard you have there Carol, only time mine is that organised is when gas boiler service is due, :lol:
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

nannymcfee wrote:Can i just add, what a tidy cat food cupboard you have there Carol, only time mine is that organised is when gas boiler service is due, :lol:
. :D I have to confess that I'd just tidied it and sorted it out before I took the photo. It was getting really out of hand and completely unmanageable. I couldn't find anything. So last night I decided to sort it out and put it in some reasonable order so I could get to things without knocking everything over. So that's why it looks so tidy. Sorry to disappoint :)

I realised after I'd taken the photo that there was still more to put back in. And her medication too!! If I have to feed her when any friends are here I open the cupboard door and shut it quickly so that nobody sees how much food there is so as to avoid the "is that all for Fluffy!!!!" question. In fact one of my friend's cats is doing very well on Fluffy's rejects. She hasn't had to buy him food for weeks!

All fusses passed on to the little girl Xx. Helen I think she would love a menu to peruse. She did go and investigate my efforts last night so I hope she approves of the new layout :)